Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2012 RIO SLS Signal Red
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Ok, how far have you guys travelled with the fuel light on?
So far my best is 70kms.:D I think it had probably another 10kms left in the
tank..
Wondering if anyone has gone further?

·
Registered
2014 Abyss Blue Kia Forte EX Sedan
180 Posts
When I was in high school many many years ago. I received a call from a very attractive blonde freind (unfortunately), she said she had run out of gas and needed me to bring her some (yes I was that guy). When I asked how she had run out of gas, she replied "I wanted to see how far I could go on a tank of gas"!

Nuff said;)

·
Registered
2016 Soul SX - Caribbean Blue
8,513 Posts
seems a silly thing to brag about, that could cause serious problems if you push it too far besides being stranded. I've just got till my range says --- and then filled it up.

·
Registered
2003 Rio and 2002 Sante Fe
21 Posts
how far can you go

I am all for excitement in my life, but you are playing Russain Roulette with your fuel pump when you run out. The pump relies on fuel to keep it cool. Pumps have been known to freeze up after only a short time running dry.

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 SX Navi, it be Black Pearl... argh matey!
131 Posts
I believe Kia gives us a huge amount of play here. Yesterday our gas light came on for the first time. Distance to empty told us 120kms still - but we weren't near a gas station. By the time we got to one, the gauge was past E, and it was down to 30kms left (according to the onboard computer).

When I filled up, I could only jam in 34L... which means, there was actually still 9L (or 20%) left in the tank! In other words people, when the light comes on, you can go a LONG way in the Rio still. Nice :)

·
Registered
2012 Rio SX Hatch
391 Posts
I believe Kia gives us a huge amount of play here. Yesterday our gas light came on for the first time. Distance to empty told us 120kms still - but we weren't near a gas station. By the time we got to one, the gauge was past E, and it was down to 30kms left (according to the onboard computer).

When I filled up, I could only jam in 34L... which means, there was actually still 9L (or 20%) left in the tank! In other words people, when the light comes on, you can go a LONG way in the Rio still. Nice :)
My range indicator goes to a "-" when it gets to 50 kms of range left.
Does your range indicator go all the way down to 0?
Most I have ever been able to cram in was 37.04 liters (after driving 492 km), and that was after driving about 20km after the light came on, so i still had 6 liters left, which could have taken me another maybe 70 kms or so, but I would never run it dry...

·
Registered
2016 Soul SX - Caribbean Blue
8,513 Posts
My range indicator goes to a "-" when it gets to 50 kms of range left.
Does your range indicator go all the way down to 0?
Most I have ever been able to cram in was 37.04 liters (after driving 492 km), and that was after driving about 20km after the light came on, so i still had 6 liters left, which could have taken me another maybe 70 kms or so, but I would never run it dry...
all KIA range indicator read this way --- which is roughly 50 km, they are not going to give you a further countdown as it can't do it precisely, so they are giving you a good buffer zone. Depending on your type of driving (and driver) you could eat up that 50 km very fast and KIA is not going to be responsible for you being stranded.

·
Registered
2012 Rio5 EX w Conv Pkg, Chestnut .......... 1997 Ford F-150
54 Posts
When my car was brand new I would get to the gas station as soon as the low fuel light came on. I found I would still have up to 2.5 gallons remaining........
I have gone over 30 miles after the light came on and still had over 1 gallon remaining.

I choose to err on the side of caution and continue to fill up soon after the light comes on. Sure, I may have to make a couple more fueling stops a year but I still use the same amount of gas and do not spend any more. Plus I will never get down to the bottom of the fuel supply which will collect particulate.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SX
18 Posts

I have to agree. I have seen the same thing. I have never put in more than 9.8 gal in what is supposed to be a 11.3 gallon tank. No matter how much I have driven with range at --. Though I make it a habit of finding a gas station at earliest opportunity when it gets to that point.

I wish the dinged when the fuel light came on. I am used to that from my VW and my wife's Saturn.

·
Registered
2012 RIO SLS Signal Red
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
seems a silly thing to brag about, that could cause serious problems if you push it too far besides being stranded. I've just got till my range says --- and then filled it up.
:huh:Not bragging at all, I'm trying to find out how far I can expect to travel approximately with the fuel light on by asking other Rio owners.

I choose to err on the side of caution and continue to fill up soon after the light comes on. Sure, I may have to make a couple more fueling stops a year but I still use the same amount of gas and do not spend any more. Plus I will never get down to the bottom of the fuel supply which will collect particulate.
Isn't that what the fuel filter is designed for?:confused:

·
Registered
2012 Rio5 EX w Conv Pkg, Chestnut .......... 1997 Ford F-150
54 Posts
Replacing a fuel filter is not as easy as changing an air filter or oil filter. You have to remove, disassemble and reassemble the fuel pump.

What I was saying is that I want to prolong this repair for as long as I can. The performance also can suffer as the filter gets clogged.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts