Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Rio 2010 (KIA Rio II, 1.4 16V 97CV)
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Summer is approaching, So my problem with the fan which only on at high speed (at 104°C) without through to low speed (at 94°C).
which obliges me to open the air conditioner to avoid overheating the engine (that with it the fan even starts at low temperature around 80 ° C)
I tested all the relays, connections,fuse everything is fine.
I thought of the radiator-fan resistor that I could not find its location for this model Kia Rio (II or JB) 2010 phase 2.
with this info especially the electric shemas, someone can help me or is the problem?
thx in advance
RADIATOR (02/02) KIA RIO 05: -SEP.2006 (2005-2006) [Europe]
FamilyRio
VehicleCategoryPassenger
Modelyearfrom2006
Modelyearto2011
OptionsEngine size: (A5) 1400 CC - ALPHA DOHC;Engine: (6) DOHC - MPI;Weather Type: (1) WEATHER - THE TROPICAL ZONE;Fuel Type: (1) GASOLINE - UNLEADED;А: (5) MANUAL T/M - 5 SPEED 2WD;Trim: (S4) SEDAN - 4DR 5P;Steering: (L) DRIVE TYPE - LHD

Attachments

·
Registered
Rio Pride JB HB 1.4 G4EE MT 2011
27 Posts
Had the same problem, goes to a dealer to check the ECU. Using OBD tools send command to the ECU for low speed the fan work, send command for high speed, its Ok. They judge its the fan on right side near the battery had worn out. I already replace ECT and the motor fan. Did not work for me. Alass.. Still a mystery...

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 Kia Rio
146 Posts
Summer is approaching, So my problem with the fan which only on at high speed (at 104°C) without through to low speed (at 94°C).
which obliges me to open the air conditioner to avoid overheating the engine (that with it the fan even starts at low temperature around 80 ° C)
I tested all the relays, connections,fuse everything is fine.
I thought of the radiator-fan resistor that I could not find its location for this model Kia Rio (II or JB) 2010 phase 2.
with this info especially the electric shemas, someone can help me or is the problem?
thx in advance
RADIATOR (02/02) KIA RIO 05: -SEP.2006 (2005-2006) [Europe]
FamilyRio
VehicleCategoryPassenger
Modelyearfrom2006
Modelyearto2011
OptionsEngine size: (A5) 1400 CC - ALPHA DOHC;Engine: (6) DOHC - MPI;Weather Type: (1) WEATHER - THE TROPICAL ZONE;Fuel Type: (1) GASOLINE - UNLEADED;А: (5) MANUAL T/M - 5 SPEED 2WD;Trim: (S4) SEDAN - 4DR 5P;Steering: (L) DRIVE TYPE - LHD
Have you checked the function of the ECT, engine coolant temperature, switch? That is the sensor I would be looking at to make sure it is functioning properly. Using a scanner to see what the car thinks the temperature is. Checking to see if the temperature is substantially different then what it should be. For example is it saying that it is 0Celcius, with the car off, when obviously it is 45Celcius outside.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Rio
146 Posts
Looks like the 2010 and 2014 models, at least in the USA, use the same ECT. So I am providing numbers form the 2014 Service Manual.

Here are some ohm readings you should get at different temperatures when doing an OHM check on the ECT when it is removed from the car...

20C = 2.31 to 2.59K OHM
40C = 1.15K OHM
60C = 0.59K OHM
80C = 0.32K OHM

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for your fruitful responses.
sorry for the quality of my writing because I am French speaking.
1- I have already changed an original ECT nothing has changed.
2- The electrician believes that the problem in the fan motor or in ECU, but I find that this is not logical! (but why the fan works at high speed and with air conditioner? and for the ECU proposal why does it do everything right except for the low speed FAN command?) .
3- I do a check with ODB2 there is no problem, in this process, I noticed that the temperature reading of the coolant is very correct (when the car is left for a very long time I even find the temperature outside similar to coolant temperature ).
4- Someone who has the same model to specify the location of radiator-fan resistor (is it the one that is stuck to the fan) circled in red?
5- Thank you for offering me a solution.

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 Kia Rio
146 Posts
I would think that device circled in red is the fan resistor. Does the connector on the fan have three pins? If so, than one is for low speed, another one is high speed, and the last one would be ground. The low speed power goes through the resistor. The drop in voltage will cause the fan to run at low speed. If the resistor is bad, most likely just broken, then the power would not pass through the resistor. Of course no power and the fan will not work.

If it is not possible to get just the fan resistor a used fan assembly is the way to go.

An interesting side note is that US model 2010s do not seem to use a fan resistor. Rockauto shows a two pin connector for the 2010. The 3G has a fan resistor. At least in the 2014.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Rio
146 Posts
I am posting a schematic of the fan for the 2014. Hopefully it will work the last couple schematics that I posted were not showing up right. You will notice that the fan has a resistor at pin 2. If there is an issue with the resistor the low speed side will not work. High speed is full voltage at pin 1. Pin 3 Ground. Your vehicle may not be the same. I just posting this for additional information.

Fan.jpg

·
Registered
27 Posts
not a solution,
but you can purchase Bluetooth OBD Dongle and install OBD Application to your phone. to read real time Water Temperatur if you concern about overheat.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
not a solution,
but you can purchase Bluetooth OBD Dongle and install OBD Application to your phone. to read real time Water Temperatur if you concern about overheat.
"bembenk" I think you have the same problem as me: already I did that solution with an OBD2:
What I have done:
with my car I have found that the motor is still protected because from 104 ° C the fan starts on with speed 2.
So from my control with OBD2 when I find if the temperature exceeds 98 ° C, I open the air conditioner, consequently, the fan switch to on.

I have another solution what do you think? to do "Fahrenheit Water temperature gauge Water temp Meter With Sensor" which is directly connected to the fan and battery; to be set at 93°C (on) (same first speed on )

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
not a solution,
Not a solution! I think a lot of pessimist dear "bembenk"
we have the same problem so we have to find a solution, I try to contact the kia house. please answer me as soon as possible

·
Registered
27 Posts
This is my first car, that have ECU, so still had learning to do. adding external control to the fan circuit, could have some effect to the current Circuit (electrical spike, extra current, etc) . thats my discussion with some Electrical technician. better Add more Extra FAN (draw power from Battery, with relay) with those above additional Temp Controller.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thank you very much ""bembenk"
For my case I would do connect the first fan on the left directly with the battery, after having cut the current power supply so it will work permanently, and if the temperature will increase again( after 103°C); the right fan will switch to on with second speed . what do you think about this idea?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thank you very much ""bembenk"
For my case I would do connect the first fan on the left directly with the battery, after having cut the current power supply so it will work permanently, and if the temperature will increase again( after 103°C); the right fan will switch to on with second speed . what do you think about this idea? View attachment 114377
Hi Nasreddine, I not suggest to tamper original Circuit Flow/Channel.
My recomendation still with Add Another Fan (3rd), With External Temp Controller.

or first You can try , unplug the Connector of Fan ( Near the battery) and run your engine until reach 104 C, see if the High Speed Switch Fan Works.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
143 Posts
I would do the same thing ie I change the relay of Cond Fan 2 is it correct?
Correct me if I'm wrong but it says in the attachments at the beginning of the thread that the 1.4 engine only has a single fan. I assume if that's the case there would only be one Cond Fan relay? So no Cond Fan 2.

I don't think that replacing the Cond Fan relay would help in your case anyway because that is the HIGH speed relay and your complaint is the LOW speed isn't working.

What I would do to start diagnosing this problem is check that the fan unit is able to operate at low speed. That is done by doing a bypass test on the Rad Fan relay.
  • Remove the Rad Fan relay from the engine bay fusebox.
  • Use a link wire to bridge the two terminals of the relay socket as shown in the diagram below.
As I advised @Uno122 on the other thread, you need to use quite a thick wire to bridge the terminals of the relay socket because cooling fans draw a lot of current. You certainly don't want to use a paper clip for this test. If the fan runs when you bypass the relay you know the fan resistor and the wiring between the fusebox and the fan is all good, meaning the fault is likely to be on the circuit that controls the relay. Let me know if the bypass works.

Nasreddine N said:
sorry for the quality of my english language i am french speaking.
Mine isn't that great either. I'm Scottish :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you so much for your response.
some information before I try with your advice soon.
my car is Kia Rio 2010 (KIA Rio II, 1.4 16V 97CV) with two fans, so its have Cond Fan 2. please see below
low speed does not work (normally from 94 ° C)
high speed works properly (normally from 103 ° C)
with AC operation the two fans operate normally.
Information I do not know if it helps or not, before this fan failure I found a 30A fuse marked "RAD" blown that I have already changed.
i think my car like that of : 2011 Kia Rio No low fan speed.

·
Registered
143 Posts
my car is Kia Rio 2010 (KIA Rio II, 1.4 16V 97CV) with two fans, so its have Cond Fan 2. please see below
low speed does not work (normally from 94 ° C)
high speed works properly (normally from 103 ° C)
with AC operation the two fans operate normally.
As you know I was just helping with a Rio fan issue on another thread. That car had a fault on the high speed fan circuit. But when the AC was switched on the fans would operate at slow speed. I'd imagine since your car has the same fan circuit it will operate in the same way. And you said your fans are operating normally when you switch the AC on. That suggests to me that the slow speed fan circuit is functioning correctly.

Here is a simple test to try...run the engine and switch on the AC. When both cooling fans start running remove the Cond Fan 2 relay from the fusebox. What happens to the fans when the relay is removed?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
steps:

1- I run the engine and switch on the AC.
2-When both cooling fans start I running remove the Cond Fan 2 relay from the fusebox.

Resulats:

The consequence of removing the relay is done in two successive stages:
1- the two fans stopped.
2- After time runing (1 second) except the fan (passenger side) start to rotate at high speed.

Now I return it to its place (relay)
3- The two fans start spinning at high speed then switch at low speed after 2 second.
a supporting video below: https://youtu.be/Ble1-RI05vo
Thank you for you precious help

·
Registered
143 Posts
The consequence of removing the relay is done in two successive stages:
1- the two fans stopped.
That's because the fans were operating in slow speed mode were both fans are connected in series as shown in the diagram below...

Nasreddine N said:
2- After time runing (1 second) except the fan (passenger side) start to rotate at high speed.
So the passenger side fan must be the condenser fan. The radiator fan is unable to operate when the Cond Fan 2 relay is removed, as you can hopefully see in the above diagram.

This simple test demonstrates that both your slow and fast speed fan control circuits are operating correctly. No fault found.

If I helped you fix it, why not...

Your support is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
This simple test demonstrates that both your slow and fast speed fan control circuits are operating correctly. No fault found.
First of all, thank you very much for your help, especially since I live a bit far from a professional electrician and in a very hot climate.
So you told me that there is no failure, so why does the fan not work when the temperature reaches 94 degrees Celsius except in 103 degrees Celsius, then what do you think of the potential failure ?
Thank you in advance for offering me a solution.
I remind you formerly, before the appearance of this defect, I found the fuse 30A "RAD" failure that I replace it with another new one.
Once again I salute your great effort. "AUTOSPARK"

·
Registered
143 Posts
So you told me that there is no failure, so why does the fan not work when the temperature reaches 94 degrees Celsius except in 103 degrees Celsius, then what do you think of the potential failure ?
There is no electrical failure, we just proved that the engine ECU is able to control the fans at both speeds.
My guess is the fan control logic in your engine ECU is programmed differently to what is shown in the attachment at the beginning of the thread. If that is a fault it's a software issue that I can't really help you with, sorry.

Nasreddine N said:
I remind you formerly, before the appearance of this defect, I found the fuse 30A "RAD" failure that I replace it with another new one.
OK, but the fuse hasn't blown again. Right now everything is working as it should. Electrically at least.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts