Kia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Sedona LX 3.3L V6
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yesterday evening was -15celsius, did a short ride with the car and the engine fan was still on when I left the car.

5 minutes later I check and its still running, so I turned it back on and left for a longer ride, hoping it'd stop... back home again and its still running. I dont have any wrench on hand so I checked with a bud if he can lend me one, and sureenough, when I check again the car wouldnt start.

So... The battery is 6 years old easily, I bet I will change this.

But I think I also need to change the coolant temperature sensor? Is it possible mine was just sticking due to the cold temperature?

EDIT : we went shopping. bought 2 different batteries that didnt fit... put back the Original one... it started.... and the fan stayed off when we pulled the key out... wierd! I will avoid blocking my other car with this one again when its the winter
My uncle's theory is that it didnt turn off the fan due to a weak battery, I will change it with a KIA one, which should fit directly...

·
Registered
2015 Sedona SX, 2019 Mercedes GLC300
106 Posts
Yesterday evening was -15celsius, did a short ride with the car and the engine fan was still on when I left the car.

5 minutes later I check and its still running, so I turned it back on and left for a longer ride, hoping it'd stop... back home again and its still running. I dont have any wrench on hand so I checked with a bud if he can lend me one, and sureenough, when I check again the car wouldnt start.

So... The battery is 6 years old easily, I bet I will change this.

But I think I also need to change the coolant temperature sensor? Is it possible mine was just sticking due to the cold temperature?

EDIT : we went shopping. bought 2 different batteries that didnt fit... put back the Original one... it started.... and the fan stayed off when we pulled the key out... wierd! I will avoid blocking my other car with this one again when its the winter
My uncle's theory is that it didnt turn off the fan due to a weak battery, I will change it with a KIA one, which should fit directly...
I'd look at your radiator fan relay. It may be bad and is somehow keeping power to the fan even with the ignition off.

·
Registered
2017 Sedona LX 3.3L V6
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd look at your radiator fan relay. It may be bad and is somehow keeping power to the fan even with the ignition off.
yeah thats the next thing... It didnt redo it since the new battery though. My uncle's theory was that the battery was too low for the car to turn systems off (yet it had enough charge to spin the fan for 20 minutes ?)... anyway

I think there is a TSB with that relay, so maybe with some luck theyll replace it at the dealership even if its out of warranty

I tried to find where this part is... I think it is connected to a large tube on top of the rad?
part number 4
Font Circle Triangle Drawing Art

·
Registered
2017 Sedona SX+ 3.3L V6
16 Posts
Just ran into this same issue. I'm going to replace the battery since it's the original and 6 years old. That said, I'd be interested to see if there is a TSB for the fan relay as I'd absolutely like to pursue this with Kia if it's a known issue with that relay :)

·
Registered
2017 Sedona LX 3.3L V6
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
not sure, but mine didnt redo it with the new battery ! I tried to find the relay pictured above. I think I located it but didnt touch it

·
Registered
2017 Sedona SX+ 3.3L V6
16 Posts
not sure, but mine didnt redo it with the new battery ! I tried to find the relay pictured above. I think I located it but didnt touch it
Thank you for the fast reply! I'll definitely start with the battery regardless. Just ordered one from Costco.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts