Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all, have engine light on. peep boys read it and said it was a loose gas cap, dirty air filter or leak in the evap system. sold me can of air mass flow valve cleaner. haven't used it yet. since I have NO MONEY and can't afford a mechanic right now, does anyone know anything about a P0455 emissions code?

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio 2003 Dodge Durango 1993 Chevy C1500
95 Posts
Inspect your gas cap. Check to see if the rubber around is still intact, worn, or cracking. If it seems fine, look under the car at the evap system. Its pretty much the rubber hoses coming from your fuel tank in and out of a plastic container. That's your charcoal canister. Inspect the hoses carefully on all sides of the hose not just the bottom that you can see. Look for any holes or cracks in the line. Replace them even if you think they are small.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Rio - Manual Transmission
6 Posts
My 2003 kia rio had a similar problem (P0455 and P0101) until I replaced the gas cap, air filter, and mass airflow sensor. This thread: http://www.kia-forums.com/1g-2001-2005-rio/65365-first-p0455-then-p0101-replace-maf.html might give you some more ideas about what to try.

Also, once you clear the check engine light (by disconnecting the battery or using a scanner), don't be surprised if it takes up to 400 miles before all of the system tests run. I wasn't able to get my car to complete the "drive cycle", until I went on an out of town trip (2 1/2 hour each way).

Hope this helps some.

EDIT: If you aren't getting the P0101 code, I would try replacing your gas cap first. My P0455 code didn't go away until I replaced mine. It wasn't until after I replaced the gas cap (and the P0455 code went away) that the P0101 code appeared.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts