Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento LX
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! Glad I found this forum. Just last night I purchased my first new car, and it was a 2013 Kia Sorento V6 LX. My family and I are super excited. The car is actually used, and it was purchased through Enterprise. I know that buying cars through rental companies is usually a huge no-no, but it was setup through my credit union so I was given an excellent rate (considering how bad my credit is). We test drove the car and I inspected it meticulously, and everything looked good. It has high'ish miles for a 2013 (22k), but I'm guessing it's because it's been on many trips. I guess I'll know for sure in a few years if I run into any problems lol :(

Any who, my main question was regarding the factory warranty. I opted not to get Enterprise's extended warranty because they told me the car still has it's factory warranties since it only has 22k miles. I know the cars are advertised to have a 10-year/100k powertrain warranty, but I was told that that's only for new cars, and that used cars only have a 5-year/60k powertrain warranty. Is this accurate? Enterprise also told me that the car has a "bumper-to-bumper" warranty through Kia, but they didn't have the exact terms, and in fact mentioned something along the lines of "each year closer to 5 years, you have less and less coverage." Basically meaning that things covered at year 2, may no longer be covered at year 4. This didn't make any sense to me, but I didn't expect them to be super accurate about it since I just had denied their extended warranty. I'm going to Kia's official warranty terms for 2013 vehicles to keep for my records.

Also, any maintenance advice? I'd love it if some kind of guide existed on recommended maintenance/routine checks for the vehicle.

I'm so excited! I love it so far!

Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,410 Posts
Wear items and adjustments 12mo/12k miles.
Radio 3yr/36k miles
Almost all other items 5yr/60k miles
Powertrain 10yr/100k miles for first owner only.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento LX
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah not too shabby. Looks like I'll get another 40k miles out of the warranty. I'm pretty happy with it since it's a used car and I think I got it for a pretty good deal.

Been driving it for a bout week now and we absolutely love it. Huge step-up over our old 2001 Civic LX.

·
Registered
2014 Sorento SX (Canada)
120 Posts
My girlfriend's parents bought a rental Ford Explorer (06 or 07 I think) and it has been fine for them. It is pretty hard to gauge how second hand rental cars are. I think that if everything is inspected like you did, it should be okay. I mean, even if people are driving it hard, a car with low miles like that should still be fine. Unless the thing was taken off road a ton, I wouldn't think there would really be much wrong with it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
glad to find this thread, I just joined the forum to research a used KIA Sorrento. I live on a small island down south of the Bahamas, called Providenciales. We were about to buy a new Jeep JKU, when the whole subject of warranty came up. Dealer here says if I don't take it to them to service, Jeep warranty is void. This doesn't sit well with me. So I started looking around and found I can buy a 2 year old KIA from local rental company. I want to tow a small boat, from time to time. Max tow distance less than ten miles, max speed here is 40 mph, and the boat and trailer weigh about 2,000-2,500 lbs. Within the spec for a Sorrento, comfortably.

I am a little nervous about buying a car that's been a rental for two years. Mileage is nothing, but we have some hard roads here. I doubt it got driven offroad much, this isn't that kind of crowd that vacations here.

Any thoughts on a two year old KIA Sorrento instead of a new Jeep Wrangler? By the way, I can buy the KIA for around $ 22K. The jeep, new, is $ 48K.

·
Registered
2015 Sorento
364 Posts
KIA > Jeep. Anyday for me. I personally think any chrysler product is junk. But thats just my opinion. And this is a Kia forum so...

·
Registered
10 Posts
We just looked at one of the two new Sorentos on the island. One black one, and one white one.

Looked in the manual, and unfortunately, the tow rating seems to have evaporated with the 2013 model year, or something. I KNOW I was seeing ratings of 3500 lbs.

Now, with the 2.4 liter gasoline engine, it's 1650 lbs. Not good enough, dang it.

I need to be able to tow about 2200 lbs.

so in that one area, at least, it's not rated as well as the Jeep.

Which is a Fiat product, by the way.

·
Registered
13 Kia Sorento LX AWD convenience pkg
8 Posts
Hi all! Glad I found this forum. Just last night I purchased my first new car, and it was a 2013 Kia Sorento V6 LX. My family and I are super excited. The car is actually used, and it was purchased through Enterprise. I know that buying cars through rental companies is usually a huge no-no, but it was setup through my credit union so I was given an excellent rate (considering how bad my credit is). We test drove the car and I inspected it meticulously, and everything looked good. It has high'ish miles for a 2013 (22k), but I'm guessing it's because it's been on many trips. I guess I'll know for sure in a few years if I run into any problems lol :(

Any who, my main question was regarding the factory warranty. I opted not to get Enterprise's extended warranty because they told me the car still has it's factory warranties since it only has 22k miles. I know the cars are advertised to have a 10-year/100k powertrain warranty, but I was told that that's only for new cars, and that used cars only have a 5-year/60k powertrain warranty. Is this accurate? Enterprise also told me that the car has a "bumper-to-bumper" warranty through Kia, but they didn't have the exact terms, and in fact mentioned something along the lines of "each year closer to 5 years, you have less and less coverage." Basically meaning that things covered at year 2, may no longer be covered at year 4. This didn't make any sense to me, but I didn't expect them to be super accurate about it since I just had denied their extended warranty. I'm going to Kia's official warranty terms for 2013 vehicles to keep for my records.

Also, any maintenance advice? I'd love it if some kind of guide existed on recommended maintenance/routine checks for the vehicle.

I'm so excited! I love it so far!

Thanks for any advice!
You have 5 years / 60 miles of basic warranty (commonly called bumper to bumper).

I would recommend changing your oil every 5,000 miles or 5 months whichever comes 1st and using synthetic oil (5w20 or 5w30)

To keep your warranty make sure you keep your oil change records (I would recommend going to a Kia dealership at least while you are under warranty as this will make any possible major warranty repairs that they have your records)

------ Experience ------ Certified Kia Service Writer

·
Registered
2013 Sorento V6 AWD LX (certified preowned KIA)
34 Posts
Is one obliged to do anything other than the oil change to keep the basic warranty (and the 10yr powertrain for new/certified) ?

I heard if you do the oil change elsewhere, you have to use Kia filter. Any other requirements besides that ? (the KIA USA customer line refused to elaborate on this ...)

·
Registered
2013 Sorento, Suzuki V-Strom
506 Posts
We just looked at one of the two new Sorentos on the island. One black one, and one white one.

Looked in the manual, and unfortunately, the tow rating seems to have evaporated with the 2013 model year, or something. I KNOW I was seeing ratings of 3500 lbs.

Now, with the 2.4 liter gasoline engine, it's 1650 lbs. Not good enough, dang it.

I need to be able to tow about 2200 lbs.

so in that one area, at least, it's not rated as well as the Jeep.

Which is a Fiat product, by the way.
The V6 engine has the higher tow rating. The four cylinder engine has the lower rating. And, it's probably not just the engine, but other parts in the drive train that limit the tow rating.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Is one obliged to do anything other than the oil change to keep the basic warranty (and the 10yr powertrain for new/certified) ?

I heard if you do the oil change elsewhere, you have to use Kia filter. Any other requirements besides that ? (the KIA USA customer line refused to elaborate on this ...)
If you don't have one, buy an owner's manual from the dealership. It will have all the requirements. https://www.kiatechinfo.com/Index.asp has the manual on line. It is best viewed with Internet Explorer (Kia didn't use the best web site programming).

Apparently there are some aftermarket filters that can cause damage to the engine. I don't know if these troublesome filters are actually spec'ed for our engines and still don't always work, or if they are not spec'ed, but some folks find that they fit so they screw them on. Anyway, if you have damage caused by a non-Kia filter, don't expect Kia to pay for the repairs. If the filter was spec'ed for the engine by the filter maker, the filter maker is responsible for the damage caused by their filter.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento V6 AWD LX (certified preowned KIA)
34 Posts
I read the manual. It doesn't require "kia"-branded oil filter.

I have my favorite mechanic and I trust that he can handle a mainstream SUV well. Just want to make sure that the normal operation at such a garage will produce sufficient paperwork to safeguard my warranty ...

Thanks.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I read the manual. It doesn't require "kia"-branded oil filter.
I know. Kia has a technical service bulletin out to there dealers about aftermarket oil filters and that damage caused by these filters is not a Kia warranty item. We all know that an aftermarket part that causes damage is not a valid warranty claim, I don't know why Kia felt the need to send out the TSB, but they did. And, I've only heard of a very few aftermarket oil filters that were not suitable...I think Fram had bad filters for Cummins 5.9L diesels several years ago.

I just tried to log into the Kia Global Information System on Internet Explorer with the user name and password they confirmed to me yesterday, and it was declared invalid.......:mad:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts