Kia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Soul Base, AT, Titanium and 2013 Sorento, 4 cyl, Blue
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks...first time poster.

I have a 2013 Base Soul. Great car- no issues until now. 14K miles and I find a nail in the tire. TPMS light comes on and I am of course 45 miles from a tire shop. Since I have no spare (arghh) I have to use the pump and sealant. Now the TPMS stays on...apparently the sealant ruined the sensor. Dealer wants $80 to replace it and I wondering since this is a KIA product shouldn't the warranty cover the sensor? The manual says "some sealants may ruin the sensor". Why would KIA put it in the car if it is going to cause issues?

Thoughts?

BTW could the factory have put any shorter valve stems on these models? I can barely get a pressure gauge or air hose on it because of close proximity to the wheel cover.:mad:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Tap Tap...this thing on???

Anyone?

Bueller? Bueller?

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,954 Posts
Was watching "Brain Games" on Nat Geo...
I would bring it up with KIA's corporate office...
I would also get a real spare tire... A bone yard should do nicely.
Dave

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Just like every other auto manufacturer who sells in North America, they are concerned about fuel mileage and weight savings.
Yeah, I've heard that one before. 20Kg or so isn't going to make any difference; I've loaded up my cars with 300+ Kg of stuff and checked the fuel consumption and it only suffers by 1 or 2 MPG. If you're worrried by that sort of thing, better resort to skinny passengers only!

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,532 Posts
some manufacturers use "run flat" tires and no provision for repair. Many manufacturers have the repair kits now, Kia is not alone.

Wry 'Cuda - place your comment on KIA Motors Facebook, as they will know the answer, we don't build them we are just the messengers. :D

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,954 Posts
If they supplied the "sealant" as an answer to a missing spare tire then they should be responsible for the damage that it did as they "spec'd" it.
Dave

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input guys. I have the luxury of having 4 different KIA dealerships in my usual travel circles so I think I will bounce it off another dealer service manager. Probably hit the boneyards this weekend to see if I can find a spare kit and jack assembly.

·
Registered
KIA Soul
1 Posts
Tire Sealant Replacement

I recently pulled too close to a high curb near a grate and cut my right front tire (12k miles on my 2013 KIA Soul). It held for a 2 to 3 hours and I didn't realize the damage. I was running errands and finally came out to find a flat tire. The tire kit worked fine and the indicator light worked (no help in this case since I didn't see it until afterward!).

I was fine with the kit and not in a rush so took it all in stride and things worked out fine. However I live in a small rural community so the replacement tire had to be ordered. We have two auto parts stores and the next nearest is about 50 minutes-drive away. Neither have ever seen the tire sealant.

So I'm online to find a replacement. I don't want to buy the wrong thing, but I also don't want to pay a huge price. Any suggestions on the best source for this stuff?

Checking back in a couple of days to see if there are some answers. thanks

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 Sportage EX
4,592 Posts
Thanks for the input guys. I have the luxury of having 4 different KIA dealerships in my usual travel circles so I think I will bounce it off another dealer service manager. Probably hit the boneyards this weekend to see if I can find a spare kit and jack assembly.
Kia sells a spare tire kit it's $200.00, everything you need. Just a thought.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Soul+, Kia Sportage SX FWD
472 Posts
I've always carried a "plug" kit in my car. For about $8 at Wally World you get a t-handle rasp, 4 or 5 plugs, and a t-handle insertion tool. If you see the pressure warning come on, you pull over and find the screw/nail/bullet hole, and roll the car so that it is facing 4 o'clock or 8 o'clock position and pull the nail, insert the plug and air it back up. Never have to take the tire off or jack up the car, or use sealant.
Obviously this gets harder to do if the tire gets completely flat....and is useless if it blows out, but blow outs are rare, and the TPMS warns you in plenty of time if pressure is low or getting there. Most spare tires rot in the trunk...and those tiny spares have to be changed back as soon as you've fixed the original anyway. Just my 2 cents worth...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Negative. The manual warns you not to use aftermarket sealant as it will destroy the TPMS on that wheel. Why pay $4.99 for a can of fix-a-flat and cause $100 worth of damage?

·
Registered
2013 KIA SOUL + ; 2.0 L; 4 CYLINDERS
4 Posts
I had the same issue like four weeks after I bought my Kia Soul. It really sucked because they would not cover the tire because it wasn't a blow out or defect in the tire so I ended up spending like $120 for the eco tires. Ugh, I was so frustrated because the stupid kit didn't work.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts