Kia Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About to do my first oil change on the new KIA. Does anyone know what was used as the factory oil in the new KIA Sorento?

·
Registered
2012 Sorento SX, 2011 Sportage EX
119 Posts
About to do my first oil change on the new KIA. Does anyone know what was used as the factory oil in the new KIA Sorento?
I was told a 5w20 blend.

Personally I think a 5w30 or even a 10w30 full synthetic is better, except perhaps in winter. But you can't go wrong with a full synthetic that's approved in the climate/oil chart in your manual.

·
Registered
I now drive a 2020 Ram Bighorn. Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,525 Posts
Are you asking what name brand they use or viscosity?

·
Registered
2012 Sorento SX,Shelby Cobra GT500,'12 Nissan Sentra,'09 Ford Focus
123 Posts
If I don't use 5W20, I get valve noise.
3.5L V6 with KIA oil filter.

I find it the opposite, when using 5W-20 I get a TON of start-up noise...tried 5W-30 and was somewhat better and last change I used 10W-30 and its 95% better barely any START-UP valve train noise, all oils used where Quaker State mineral oils, I wanted to make sure to test all same brand oils to really see the differences between VISCOSITY...for me in the warmer months it's 10W-30 and for Winter 5W-30.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sportage EX
156 Posts
If you plan on keeping it for a while, use any brand name synthetic, otherwise, just use the cheap stuff. I personally use Pennzoil Ultra synthetic, since I plan on putting well over 100k miles on mine.

·
Registered
2012 Sorento V6 LX AWD
23 Posts
The factory manual says 7500 miles for the first change. Are you all following that or doing the traditional 3000? I used my on board monitor for my Grand Prix and never had problems and I would put on 5K-6K between changes. Traded that in with 120,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
2017 Sorento EX 4T GDI
20 Posts
Mobil 1 5W-20 for me

Just changed my oil for the 1st time. 4200 miles on factory oil. Have used Mobil 1 on last 3 vehicles. Have 175000 miles on Saturn V6, no engine problems. I had noticed some valve noise on first crankup of the day with factory oil. After the Mobil 1 oil do not have the valve noise. I am hoping to get 100K plus on this KIA. I am sure other synthetics are great also. Noticed the specs say 5.49 qts for the V6 engine. Noticed on my invoice line item for oil was 5 qts. Wonder if they added the other .5 qts. will call tomorrow. Checked oil stick and oil was slightly above the 2nd mark. Just wondering?

·
Registered
2012 Sorento LX 2WD V6
39 Posts
Just had the dealer do my first oil change today ( 3.5 V6 ) @ 2500 miles, they said they used Mobil ( not Mobil 1 ) 5w-30.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
Folks over at BITOG seem to be fond of the Motorcraft synthetic blend 5W-20. That can be had for about $18 for 5L at Walmart. For 7500 mile intervals, it's hard to beat that bang for the buck. Since it takes all of about 5 minutes to change the oil/filter on our cars, I'm probably going to err on the side of being conservative and do 5000 mile changes and use the factory filters. That translates to about $50/year in consumables and 10-15 minutes of my life. What's not to like? :)

Best,

·
Registered
2011 sorento lx V-6 AWD
71 Posts
each dealer is different for oil they use, in NJ most use Mobile, Quaker State or castrol. i am going to use all synth next time around and see if the Valve Train noise stops on my 2011 LX V6

·
Registered
2011 Sorento LX 4cyl AWD 2012 Sorento EX V6
148 Posts
Like everyone else, I don't know for sure. But my impression is it must be a light oil, maybe 0W?

The reason I believe this is I noticed a really distinct worsening of gas mileage after the first oil change.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
Like everyone else, I don't know for sure. But my impression is it must be a light oil, maybe 0W?

The reason I believe this is I noticed a really distinct worsening of gas mileage after the first oil change.
Unlikely to be the oil...even if it started out with 0W-20 (which I doubt). 0W-20 and 5W-20 only differ slightly in viscosity when they're cold (5W vs 0W). At operating temps, they are the same viscosity.

Best,

·
Premium Member
2020 Hyundai Palisades
2,964 Posts
Folks over at BITOG seem to be fond of the Motorcraft synthetic blend 5W-20. That can be had for about $18 for 5L at Walmart. For 7500 mile intervals, it's hard to beat that bang for the buck. Since it takes all of about 5 minutes to change the oil/filter on our cars, I'm probably going to err on the side of being conservative and do 5000 mile changes and use the factory filters. That translates to about $50/year in consumables and 10-15 minutes of my life. What's not to like? :)

Best,
GOOD STUFF i use it in my 300C and Sorento 5W-20 and you cant beat the Walmart price.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts