Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Sorento V6 LX 2WD, 01 530ia Sport, 2010 Golf
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has 15,800 miles and it's time to change the air filter. Took out the filter and I never seen the paper element so thick. Went and got the Purolator one from PepBoys and the filter was made better and more rigid without much flexing as the OE and the paper element is what I am used to seeing. I think I should be able to save some fuel & or gain a little more horsies;).

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,412 Posts
The OE filter is probably less restrictive, and will stop more dirt as well. Most new cars use a fabric type filter element like your Sorento.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Will a restrictive air filter actually affect mileage? The ECM should detect how much air is present and adjust the fuel injector spray time accordingly. Definitely should affect power, but if the ECM, MAF or MAP sensor, and injectors are working properly I don't see how it could do much for mileage.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
710 Posts
Changing the filter isn't going to impact the mileage or significantly impact power (unless it's clogged). It is good practice to periodically change it (I do mine once a year, regardless of mileage) to prevent dirt from entering the engine oil, but that's pretty much it.

Best,

·
Registered
2012 Kia Sorento SX, 2003 Honda S2000
183 Posts
A restrictive air filter WILL affect power/mileage, but not that much unless you go with something significantly less restrictive (like a K&N oil based filter). It's worth noting that the effectiveness of those is highly debated. If the engine has to work harder to pull the air into the cylinder that is energy not used to propel the vehicle forward. Also a higher air and fuel ratio in the cylinder per stroke is more efficient (the advantage of turbo engines in Ford's EcoBoost engine line).

·
Registered
2013 Sorento LX V6, '03 GSX-R600, '00 Nissan Maxima SE
150 Posts
Here is a link about air filters and testing study someone else posted. K&N was one of the worst, according to this study.

GM Truck Central Air Filter Testing Study

I personally have used K&N filters with no problems and my Maxima has 209k on it. I was planning on buying one for the Sorento eventually, even if just for the convenience of not having to buy filters every time I change one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts