Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
'12 Sportage, Mustang, F150 SC 4x4
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought the wife a '12 Sportage LX back in May of this year.

So far, it's a great vehicle for her, she loves everything about it.

Since then I've ordered the factory bug guard, mud guards, all-weather mats, and just recently, some factory fog lights.

factory bug and mud guard, AW mats, fog lights

In-channel rain guards

However, the fog lights only come with the pig tail to plug into the light unit, no wiring harness. But I was aware of that when I ordered them.

My question is, has anyone else wired up some fog lights, without wiring them into the turn-indicator/light switch stalk on the steering column?

If so, how did you do it?

I was 'warned' by the service techs that cutting into any of the harnesses could possibly 'void' her warranty.

As such, I was wondering if one of those Add-a-fuse/circuit connections might work?

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,410 Posts
You should always use a relay, and if you wire it the simple way, you only need to run 1 wire into the car for the switch, which would then ground somewhere under the dash. The relay and all the wiring will stay under the hood and out of sight. Search for "basic fog lamp relay wiring diagram" in google and go to images.

·
Registered
2011 Sportage, 2007 GTI, 2000 Firehawk
137 Posts
If you want a separate switch to control it, just use something like this:
Universal Automotive Fog Light Wiring Harness & Switch Universal Automotive Fog | eBay

Generally speaking, warranties can only be voided if the aftermarket part you installed is proven to interfere or cause an issue with a factory part. So if you wire something up incorrectly, and it burns up the car or fries a component that you wired it to, then that's your fault and not covered. But if your windows stop working and the dealer says your foglights caused the issue, they would have to prove it. Read up here for more info: Magnuson-Moss Act

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sportage LX AWD
13 Posts
Munga - Sorry for hijacking your thread. It seems that we are both looking for the same advice regarding fog light wiring...

Instead of paying the dealership $400 to install fog lights on my 2013 Sportage LX, I would like to see if I can do it myself. I have already purchased the factory fog lights and now need to find a way to wire them up. I don't want to do anything that will void the warranty or make my ride illegal. Here in WV it is illegal to run fog lights with high beams, so I want my fog lights to cycle on and off with the low beam headlights ONLY. I looked at the wiring to the headlights on my Sportage and it looks like there is only one connector coming in to the back of the headlight assembly. I assume this connector/harness powers all the lights inside the assembly (turn signal, high, and low beam). I would rather not mess with this connector. Is there a fuse somewhere that fuses the low beams only and would it be okay and safe to use one of those "add a circuit" things there to trigger a relay for the fog lights?

Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts