Kia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about how little storage space there is in this Sedona compared to my old Espace I was wondering on making a new storage box to go between the seats.
Has anyone made their own and got any pictures, details they'd like to share please?
I saw WildKia who's got a Carnival in the image gallery mention he's made one but there aren't any pictures (that I can see).

Anyone got any other ideas for making more storage space in the rest of the vehicle too?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hello Pepper,

I asked such a question as yours a little while ago, I agree for such a big car, there are few hidy/storage holes.

You will already know about the box under the pasenger seat and the storage in the rear over the back wheels.

I have seen availabe for the Sedona and I can't remember where, a unit in place of the front storage/CD/cup holder, basicaly it gives you a large closable compartment without the existing partitions.

As none in my family smoke, ( at least that's what my kids tell me ), I removed the ashtray, I find the small space created incredably usefull for loose change or a set of keys.

As it's a little exposed I rigged a tiny black cloth cover/curtain, agreed it's a little
Heath-Robinson but it's neat and does the job and it's such a usefull space for me.

I think also I saw a post on this forum, you can buy a cargo holder or shoping net holder for the rear.
Seacam

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On the american reviews I'm pretty sure I've seen a box that goes between the seats, I shall have to go and have a search now. :57:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi Pepper,
Unfortunately I don't think its a box, see picture here from Kia USA site. It looks more like a folding table or how would the handbrake be released ?. It would be very useful to have though.

Malcolm

[attachmentid=750]

Attachments

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hello Malcolm 2010,

I saw this table unit, it's why I didn't mention it to Pepper.

I assume this unit must sit back from the handbrake so as not to get in the way,
however I envisage things going flying if you had to use the handbrake quickly
anyway.

It's given me a idea for a central box, I need to find me a scrap yard and a Nissan, I'll post back.

What I didn't relise was the U.S. Sedona had a top dash compartment.

I have been trying to find the site with this swap over storage box I mentioned.
Seacam

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Malcolm in the picture you linked to it looks like the box/tea tray is between the middle row of seats. Which if it were wouldn't hurt the handbrake. :p

Oh and yes the Americans dash is totally different to the european dash, it includes the twin gloveboxes as mentioned by seacam.

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That cargo net looks pretty cool, it's U shaped so not only can it stop things from falling out of the vehicle which are in front of it, but you can actually put things inside it to stop them rolling around.

Anyone got any ideas how much Kia charge for them?

Probably an awful lot knowing Kia. :huh:

·
Registered
29 Posts
It seems that is £30, see here for a list of Kia accessory prices

http://kia-bcc.co.uk/id72.htm

I must admit, I do not YET own a Kia Sedona, but will on the 30th September!. Just looking around the site has given me enough information to proceed with the purchase, I just hope my new car is reliable.

Cheers

Malcolm

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have the sedona ex loaded and in the front there is the tray that folds down as in the pictures. It also expands another six inches. I am from Canada, is this not the norm for all Sedonas?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Mjl,
this may be the norm for North American models, but not for the UK version for some reason, nor do we appear to have the nice compartment above the radio.

Malcolm

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fantastic, well done for finding out those parts prices I've been struggling to find them anywhere. Glad I got the dealer to throw in my fog lights when I bought my car now! :banana:

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Kia do seem to spec their cars very strangely with different ideas for different markets, at least here we get ABS and EBD as standard (actually much more useful than a little more storage space)

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sedona
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Seacam found your old thread here Storage space (lack of)

My Espace was a 1993 model and it had twice the compartments that this model has. But with the amount of extra space the Sedona has I'm sure I can come up woth something.

I'm interested in the Nissan thing, Seacam what have you got in mind?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hello Pepper,

Just before I sold my Scenic, I was giving it another once over and discovered
three storage compartments under the rear seats I didn't even know existed.

I have been told the Scenic was designed by a lady who as part of her brief was told to create an interior with storage in mind, a pity Kia didn't employ her.

An early model of the Nissan Prarie, the first vehicle I belive in the UK to have rear sliding doors, had a central handbrake.

They managed to fit a usefull central storage box with a hinged top around the handbrake.

I've also seen a similar set up in an 80s American Pontiack Estate, ( I think ), not many of those in British scrap yards tho'.

Once I have found what I'm looking for on the Nissan, because of the work I do, molding and forming something similar shouldn't be to difficult.

If I think it's got half a chance I'll post back with by endevours.

As for the Kia cargo net, Hm, usefull for beach balls I suspect.
Seacam

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey pepper! I'm from the Philippines and there are hardly any aftermarket stuff one can buy for Kias so it's an advantage if you're handy with a jigsaw. What do you need the extra space for. In my carnival, between the two front seats, I crafted an enclosure for a pioneer 50-disc cd changer. The changer faces the rear and in front of the changer (visible in picture) are two beer bottle holders for the rear passengers. The yellow thing you see is a phone charger. On top of the enclosure are two more beer bottle holders, and space for my wife's kleenex box. On the front side of the enclosure is more storage space but it's been filled up with my wife's stuff (make-up kit, etc.). For a clean look I covered the whole thing with black carpetting, the same stuff used in making cheap subwoofer boxes.

Attachments

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hello James,

Excellent Pic's and a great idea.

If you've got a moment and can post some more pic's I would like to see how much space there is between the base of the handbrake and the front of the box.
perhasp a downward shot.

Also a photo of the front seats and the box.

Finaly, the photo of your interior the one you use under your name, any chance of posting that?
Seacam

1 - 20 of 25 Posts