Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Sorento LX
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you guys keep your black plastic trim clean, remove white wax residue and treat it so it will stay shiny , but not greasy so that it attracts dirt and dust?

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX V6
40 Posts
Small amounts of wax residue can be removed with a pink eraser. (really!) Also Mother's Back to black worked for me. By far the best solution I think is to avoid residue in the first place. I just started using Turtle Wax Ice liquid wax. It goes on easy, can be used on black trim and leaves NO white residue. Can get it at Wal Mart in a kit. There is a similar product, Nu Finish Cling that should be avoided at all costs. It says it drys clear and it does, for about a week. Then it turns white and is nearly impossible to remove. I used it on my Sorento about a year ago and STILL find spots of spray on the glass and trim. It took mineral spirits to get it off the glass. I used the pink eraser on the pebble finish black trim.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
I use an eraser or peanut butter to remove wax residue.

I don't apply anything to the black plastic bumpers/trim. I just scrub them really good with a hand mit and some soapy water. When they dry, they are a rich dark colour with a hint of shine.

I find sprays/waxes on plastic trim end up drying them out over time and cause the bumpers to look terrible over time.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento, Suzuki V-Strom
506 Posts
I use 303 Protectant on the black plastic. Apply whichever vinyl treatment you choose before you wax...the wax you slop on will be much easier to get off the vinyl.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
I use 303 Protectant on the black plastic. Apply whichever vinyl treatment you choose before you wax...the wax you slop on will be much easier to get off the vinyl.
This is the best stuff I've found to date. I also use it on my tires. It keeps them looking black without that greasy look. It's great for preventing sun damage on exposed parts of boats as well.

Spraying some on the trim before waxing will mostly keep the wax from sticking.

http://www.amazon.com/303-Products-Protectant-32-oz/dp/B003KV2A04/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1364814623&sr=8-3&keywords=303+protectant

Best,

·
Registered
SORENTO 2012 V6 EX AWD SUNROOF MOONROOF
116 Posts
I've tried a few, with strange results, sticky, streaks when wet and so on.

Then I tried "Mothers® Protectant ", like its made for the KIA.
Actually after the 2nd application seems to last for months now.
Trust me no matter what anyone say's once you have tried it you won't bother using anything else, good for the tires too. Also protects against UV rays, ozone, smog and contaminants
Just use on the outside trims, try not to use products on the interior without consulting KIA

·
Registered
2013 Sorento LX
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks zxenith .... I am a total Mothers product line guy, the first week I owned the Sorento, I clay barred the entire car, followed by Mother Polish, topped off with Mothers Carnuba wax....the pearl in the Snow Pearl White is killer out in the sunlight...just got through doing the leather with Mothers leather treatment. So now I am on to the black plastic trim, looking for a way to make it shine just a bit more than it does

1 - 11 of 11 Posts