Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Toyota Sienna, 2013 Kia Rio5 SX
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to everyone in my nav question thread, I ended up convincing my wife we didn't need the nav and we just purchased our SX today! They happened to have it in stock so we are picking up Friday! Yay!

Anyways, I need to decide on the extended warrenty and rust proofing. I know normally everyone says these are ripoffs, but my wife wants "proof" so to say. I don't think I want the warrenty, but the rust proofing seems decent, although I need to research this electric rust proofing business...seems better than going to Krown every year. Is the prevailing though still that these are rip offs? ~2100 for the full extended warrenty to 7 yrs and 1k for the rust proofing/interior protection stuff

·
Registered
2020 Kia Sorento EX+
393 Posts
i believe you will hear that the general consensus on warranty and rust proofing, paint protection, interior protection, and so on... is that they aren't worth the paper they are written on. so many conditions that it is very difficult to ever claim anything...
that being said, i took my chances and got the whole kit and caboodle. make sure you remember to do your yearly ($$$) checkups for the rust proofing otherwise you void your warranty, watch for stuff like that in fine print on anything else you purchase.

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
I've never been a purchaser of extended warranties. So I didn't get one for the Rio either.

As for the rust proofing, since you live in Toronto (I'll hold back my Toronto jokes for now), rustproofing is a good idea. However, I have no doubt you can get it done MUCH cheaper than through Kia. Since you have the time, call around and get some quotes from third party companies. Maybe Kia will match them and save you the trouble of going elsewhere. If not, take it elsewhere.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've never been a purchaser of extended warranties. So I didn't get one for the Rio either.

As for the rust proofing, since you live in Toronto (I'll hold back my Toronto jokes for now), rustproofing is a good idea. However, I have no doubt you can get it done MUCH cheaper than through Kia. Since you have the time, call around and get some quotes from third party companies. Maybe Kia will match them and save you the trouble of going elsewhere. If not, take it elsewhere.
But marley, you live in Surrey! I kid I kid :) I actually grew up in Richmond!

The rust protection Kia offers is the electric kind, is that any differernt? I don't need to go in regularily with those right? I dunno if they actually work or not, will be checking that out tonight.

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 SX Navi, it be Black Pearl... argh matey!
131 Posts
Please, save your money.

As a former F & I person - and a former car salesman too... you have to be aware that there are huge huge HUGE margins on these type of products (undercoat, rust proofing, fabric guard, extended warranty, security etching etc). The business office personnel (and the dealership) will make some ridiculous $$$ off of you this way. Like any other type of "insurance", it simply prays on your fears.

But do these things have any real value? Not in my opinion (try selling your car a few years down the road and see exactly how much someone will pay you for $3100+ of extended warranty and rustproofing). The dealership prices are simply outrageous. $1000... as in one thousand:eek:? for rust proofing?!? This is already done at the factory btw... why do you think Kia is gives you a long standard perforation warranty?

I personally never take any of these extras - ever - and I've yet to have a problem. If you really really think you need/want rustproofing, find an aftermarket shop to do it. I bet it saves you 90%.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone, I've decided to decline both options and just go to Krown like with my Sienna. Just had never heard of this electric stuff before, seems garbage. Appreciate everyones help!

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 EX w/ Convenience & ISG
293 Posts
I oil sprayed all my cars in November and April. $50 a pop and I NEVER have had rust or corrosion with any component of my cars. Undercarriage bolts come right off after 9 salty winters. I have found permanent rust proofing to flake and collect water.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,539 Posts
Thanks everyone, I've decided to decline both options and just go to Krown like with my Sienna. Just had never heard of this electric stuff before, seems garbage. Appreciate everyones help!
wise move and you've save a ton of money :D

·
Registered
Accord, stick
206 Posts
Good buddy, save some money. My car is 9.5 years old; I drive daily 25 km to work; I wash car Once a year when I do very detailed waxing (whole weekend goes on that operation); I can send you pictures of a body and underbody; car is like day one even better since I use clay; smooth like baby's bottom.
I did have rust proofing/body protection on my previous car and I see no difference except I was poorer some $600. Paint protection was probably stripped off after year or two since I washed car more frequently. Fabric protection - what a joke... underbody? how the hell I know they put it there...
I personally do not believe in rust proofing, spraying, drilling car, loading it with oil and other methods like 'electrical rust protection'. If that works, do not you think that manufacturers will be installing it into every car (it will cost them peanuts)???

REAL rust and body protection would be applying thick (1cm) layer of some gluey rubbery goo resistant to elements including acid, water, stones, keys, screwdrivers, you name it. Car will look ugly but it will be protected forever.

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,539 Posts
my previous vehicle (Rondo) I had it Krown rustproofed (if you get it done with 6 months of ownership they will guarantee if for life) and had it redone on a yearly basis ($125).
I had planned on keeping it a very long time, but changed my mind after 4 years and bought my Soul. This time I'm not doing it, there is an extensive rustproofing coating under the vehicle from the factory and also because I'm now retired, if there is lots of snow (which generally means salt on the main roads) I just don't travel in it unless its absolutely necessary and even in that case and can now more easily rinse the vehicle down to get that stuff off.

Here's what's under my Soul

1 - 12 of 12 Posts