Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Kia Sorento SX- mine, 2012 Hyundai Azera- Mom's
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what people have paid for extended warranties? I'm thinking about getting an extended warranty, but want the kia protection plan one, not a third party. I know it has a great powertrain warranty, but want something to cover the electronics and everything else that can go wrong.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was wondering what people have paid for extended warranties? I'm thinking about getting an extended warranty, but want the kia protection plan one, not a third party. I know it has a great powertrain warranty, but want something to cover the electronics and everything else that can go wrong.
We didn't get it on our 2014 EX, I believe it was around $2600 for 10 year bumper to bumper.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
You'll probably find that they require you to have dealer service for the life of the extended warranty, otherwise they will wriggle out of the deal. Some dealers offer a "free" extra warranty, but only on the basis of return-to-dealer servicing, so that gives you some idea of the economics.

It's the insurance game. If you have enough cash to cover occasional problems, you will be ahead if you don't buy the insurance. If it's $2600 as mentioned above, you could put that in an "emergency fund" and see how much it's grown to after 10 years. Compare that with the service fees over 10 years.

·
Registered
Wife- 2013 Sorento EX FWD, Me- 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
27 Posts
When we bought my wife's car about a year ago, we talked them down to $1,000 for the 10 year bumper to bumper.

I see you are in Chicago. We bought hers at the Elgin Kia if you are interested.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento, Suzuki V-Strom
506 Posts
Search the 'net for Kia Protection Plus. Find the lowest price around the country for any Kia dealer and ask your local dealer to match it.

The extended protection contracts are a product like any other product they sell. They can price it any way they want. If another dealer can earn even $50 on selling one to you in a different town, that is found money--$50 profit they wouldn't have otherwise gotten. Shop around and demand a great deal for yourself.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento SX V6
6 Posts
You'll probably find that they require you to have dealer service for the life of the extended warranty, otherwise they will wriggle out of the deal. Some dealers offer a "free" extra warranty, but only on the basis of return-to-dealer servicing, so that gives you some idea of the economics.

It's the insurance game. If you have enough cash to cover occasional problems, you will be ahead if you don't buy the insurance. If it's $2600 as mentioned above, you could put that in an "emergency fund" and see how much it's grown to after 10 years. Compare that with the service fees over 10 years.
I have not been having my vehicle serviced per Kia manual and am wondering if I have thrown away my extended warranty as a result. If so I need to try and get out of this ASAP. Any thoughts would be helpful.:confused:

·
Registered
506 Posts
Read the paperwork for your extended "warranty." It is legally not a warranty. It is a contract for prepaid service. The fine print in your contract will tell you what you need to do before the "protection plan" underwriter has to do anything for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
When we bought my wife's car about a year ago, we talked them down to $1,000 for the 10 year bumper to bumper.

I see you are in Chicago. We bought hers at the Elgin Kia if you are interested.
Just FYI, we bought a '14 Sorento from Elgin Kia (Rosen) yesterday and they offered the same $1000 price with no haggling. He asked if I'm a Costco member prior to that.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Sorento SX- mine, 2012 Hyundai Azera- Mom's
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
At $1,000 it's seems to be a good deal no?

·
Registered
506 Posts
At $1,000 it's seems to be a good deal no?
What does it cover? What does it require you to do to keep it valid?

Don't say that it covers everything. None do. The fine print in the contract tells you all the details. Is normal wear & tear excluded? What requirements does it place on you for maintenance? Are there any other costs for you along the way?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts