Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Honda Pilot Touring; 2003 Jeep Wrangler
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now, I typically don't buy extended warranties but since my wife plans on keeping her SX for a long time (yeah right, lol) I opted to buy the 7yr/100k warranty on the used SX we just bought this weekend.

The car currently has only 8,604 miles and will be driven less than 10K per year. Does anyone think the extended warranty is really worth it? I thought it might be since it's the turbo engine but now I'm starting to doubt myself for buying the warranty.

Thoughts/comments?

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX FWD
354 Posts
i don't know if this applies to you (having had bought a slightly used car), but the powertrain for a new hyundai or kia are warrantied for 10yrs/100000miles. Their new vehicles have a bumper to bumper for 6 years/60000 miles and you can pay for the option to extend full coverage for 10y/100k.

personally, i bought my kia because of the warranty. Generally though, warranties aren't worth more than how much the dealer is willing to work for/with you if there are issues. I previously owned a 2001 hyundai elantra gt. My dad bought it new and negotiated to get the 10yr/100k. They replaced the sunroof mechanism, the headliner, and a portion of the center consol (around the shift) all past the 60k mark. Furthermore, h/k's warranty is nationwide, it is not restricted or limited to your original dealership or anything like that. My dad bought it in california and i had all the work done in knoxville, tn. Hell, they even gave me a loaner!

Imo, if you can afford it, it is worthwhile to own. Especially if you "plan" on keeping the vehicle for as long as possible. I did not have the money at time of purchase and i don't know if i can buy it now, 25k miles and a year later. Would strongly consider if price was right.

I feel that hyundai/kia is the best (and most fulfilling) warranty in the market. I wouldn't buy a new car without a warranty and h/k are the only players in the game that include a full warranty as a standard feature and give the option for (nationwide) 100k/10y full warrant. No other manufacturer offers anything even close to this. Many have "token" warranties (3y/30k, etc) and those are often limited to (or offered by) the original dealership.

Don't laugh at your wife. the SX is more than capable of keeping one's interest indefinitely and from what i can tell about the service schedule, built to last.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Buying used I still get the remainder of the factory warranty but the powertrain drops from 10yr/100k to 5yr/60k to match the factory bumper to bumper.

I'm sure my wife will love the SX long-term, it has everything she wants (power, leather, sunroof) and she's not like me when it comes to wanting a new car every couple of years.

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD Mineral Silver
460 Posts
In the US, you get the 10yr powertrain warranty if you are the original purchaser. If you buy it used, then you only get the base 5 yr. warranty, so you would have to purchase the extended if you wanted it.

That being said, the question is, how long do you expect to keep the car past the 5 yr. warranty? If long, then it might be worth the cost depending on the cost of it. Guess you would need to weigh that out and see.

I was a fan of getting the extended prior to buy my Kia (had Nissan's before) because I could guaranty that something would break the minute after the warranty was over. So it was nice to have that to fall back on.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have 30 days after the purchase to get a full refund on the warranty. Right now I'm leaning towards the refund because the basic warranty is still intact for the remaining 5yr/60k miles from the original date of purchase. The reliability of these cars seems to be very high so maybe it's unlikely I'd ever need to use the extended warranty.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,412 Posts
If you plan on keeping the car past 5yrs, I say get it. It will give you 2 extra years and 40k of coverage on most items. If you are unsure about how long you will keep the car, maybe get it. If there is a good chance you will sell/trade before 5yrs, then don't. The only thing you are extending within the 5yr period is the warranty on the audio unit, which is 3/36. If it covers rentals is another thing to take into consideration, as Kia doesn't pay for rentals.

·
Registered
Kia 2015 Sportage Platinum diesel and 2013 Rio 3 door SLS
593 Posts
This probably doesn't help, but 5 years is still a long time (these days) to be keeping a car - any car. So the original factory warranty should suffice - certainly should in my case, anyway.
However . . . is an extended warranty worth it? Only when you need it!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2013 MINI Hardtop S
79 Posts
After 60k miles beside the power train what really are you going to have to replace that cost you! over $2000.00 For me as long as the car runs if the Air goes i'll get a used unit. I probably wont have the car that long...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I cancelled the extended warranty this week; decided it just wasn't worth it since the factory warranty is still in place.

·
Registered
2 Posts
to extend warranty or not to extend

My 5yr./60,000 warranty will expire tomorrow 2-18-2015. I purchased my excellent 2010 kia soul in 2011, and it has been nothing short of perfection. I'm quite often teased at how little it is driven. At purchase there was only 26,000 + miles, and to date there are only 38,292. In fact, I drive such short distances as a rule, that just this year I had to replace all four tires only because they were dry rotting. When I purchased it they were brand new. So, I got a couple quotes for extended warranty. One for approx. 2yr. 1200.00. Another 1999.00 + tax, 3yr./36,000 both bumper to bumper. I'm sure they heard that would be a stretch for me, so they even offered a finance option. After a down payment, then 112.00 for 18mo.. I just paid it off to be free of a car payment, because of a health issue and having to leave my job. I've consulted two other reliable sources and both think it's un necessary to spend that money, with such a good product and my driving history. I welcome all feed back especially owners, or those who have contemplated, to extend or not to extend.

·
Registered
2016 Soul SX - Caribbean Blue
8,515 Posts
vjohnson - I agree "with your reliable sources" forget it, not worth it, in fact with that low a mileage makes me wonder whether its even worthwhile having a vehicle.
I guess it would be perfection when you've only driven it just over 12,000 miles in that time frame. The hardest thing on your vehicle is its lack of use.
Generally most vehicles will easily run 100k miles without major problems if you maintain it as specified in your owners manual.
If you want to spend the money, invest it and at least it will have made you more money by the time you need it.

·
Registered
829 Posts
TechnoSX; what year is the car? Kind of important to the conversation. If it were not an SX, I'd say you did the right thing by canceling the contract. With the SX, I would want an extended power train warranty just like the original 10/100 if I planned to keep it long-term. You should plan on using synthetic oil in it and change it on the 7500 mi.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Looked into a extended today for 2013 Sorento

If you plan on keeping the car past 5yrs, I say get it. It will give you 2 extra years and 40k of coverage on most items. If you are unsure about how long you will keep the car, maybe get it. If there is a good chance you will sell/trade before 5yrs, then don't. The only thing you are extending within the 5yr period is the warranty on the audio unit, which is 3/36. If it covers rentals is another thing to take into consideration, as Kia doesn't pay for rentals.
I just looked into one (extended warranty) today for my 2013 Kia Sorento SX with 51,000 miles (9,000 under my used car warranty left). Price quote is about $1890 for the extra 5 years and/or 40,000 miles. Much to think about as 40,000 miles would be another 2 1/4 years of driving which would come before the years expire. Is it worth 2 years at that price? I have a loaded SX with Navagtion heated / cooled seats and heated mirror and steering wheel and the navigation unit would be about $2,000 if needing replaced. So far i have pretty good luck with only a transmission fluid sensor needing replaced (would have cost about $500 if i had to pay). The hard part to think about is 100,000 is alot of miles but only for 2 1/4 years of additional driving. They can be cancelled for a pro-rated sell back. $100 deductible per visit regardless of the number of probelms so if you have 2 problems get them looked at the same day! Still confused what to do but i have 9,000 to think about it then if i wait after 60,000 it's another $800 and not a kia but after market warranty. Kia covers bumper to bumper excluding normal maintenance.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Spotage SX, 2002 Ford F150 Supercrew
18 Posts
I bought the extended warranty because the electronics are not covered after the initial 3 year full coverage. The bumper to bumper power train is good but I was told that the stereo head unit is $2300 to replace, plus all the other electronic goodies that may quit after time. I bought the Kia sportage for my wife, if I drop dead on her some day I want her car covered.
The extended warranty also guarantees you get a loaner car while yours is being repaired for the entire 5 years.

·
Registered
Sportage 2011
12 Posts
In Europe we have 7 years warranty, and I am very happy of that. Just in 6th year and only 50 miles before the end warranty, I have engine problems. Dealer fixed them all, and I have saved near 1000 $.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts