Kia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 SX Navi
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took out an extended warranty (Kia Protect), because the price was really great. But on consideration I decided to cancel it, because I realized I will probably be over my warranty Km long before the extended warranty kicks in.

So, within the 30 days grace period I have to cancel, I contact the dealer and ask to cancel. They say I can, but I must now pay for a DiamondKote rust/paint/leather package that they applied for free with any extended warranties.

I know on the face of it this does make sense, but I also smell a rat. I'd like to know if there is any recourse I can take here?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm waiting for one of the guys here to say 'Please add your location so we know where you are' or something along that line..

·
Premium Member
2020 Hyundai Palisades
2,964 Posts
they can say anything my suggestion is to read your contract and go from there if it is not in the contract you should not have to pay!!!

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 K5 GT Line
4,818 Posts
They sold it to you, they are holding all the cards.
As Jetech has said; read your contract before you call again.
It would help if we knew what part of the world you are in.

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 SX Navi
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They sold it to you, they are holding all the cards.
As Jetech has said; read your contract before you call again.
It would help if we knew what part of the world you are in.
Thanks, location added (Ontario).

I will double check the contract tonight and report back, but I believe the package is listed on there but is discounted/credited to zero as a promo.

I have read the extended warranty and the "diamond kote" package terms, neither mention anything but then I wouldn't expect them to as they refer to their respective products only. So it would come down to what the contract states, and if the protection package was given away as a promo, and it doesn't specifically state the connection with the extended warranty, then surely I would have some recourse.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,235 Posts
Along with extended warranties, Paint/Rust/Leather protection is a scam. "Protection" usually means that they let an apprentice loose with a couple of spray cans. When these add-ons are offered, my usual question is "What's wrong with the original paintwork/rust-coat?" Saw a sad case where a young person buying their first car (on time-payment) was told that she had to get a protection package worth about $1100. In our hot climate, whatever they pray on to protect the paint peels off after a few years, particularly in hot-spots over the engine. On a business call, I once ended up in the "Service Facility" belonging to one of the companies offering protection services. -Yes, it was a dirty and ramshackle shed in the bad part of town; "Wreck your paint for you sir? -That will be $1100"

I rarely apply foreign products to the painted surfaces. Wash it carefully when it gets dirty and give a light polish to those areas with tar and other road marks. Sold a car last year which had only been washed once a year and never polished in 14 years. Paint was perfect in most parts of the car.

Extended warranties usually require you to continue servicing at the original dealer at inflated costs. My experience is that if it is OK for the initial warranty period, there's no need to worry; unless you like to worry.

·
Registered
2012 Rio EX Sedan UVO Auto/Tanzanite blue/tinted windows/Vent visors
313 Posts
I'm waiting for one of the guys here to say 'Please add your location so we know where you are' or something along that line..
Love it. Delicious line. So you too noticed this strange habit of lecturing before helping...;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts