Kia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX L (FWD)
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had not driven the Kia for three days, last time was when taking the dog to the park.

This morning I had gone about 1/4 mile to the stop sign and heard a loud (I mean LOUD) explosion.

Pulled over and got out of the car to see what happened.

Nothing seen until I opened the back door and some small metal parts fell out on the ground.

Looks like, several days ago, I shut the back door on part of the dog's safety collar and that quick connect part decided to explode.
No other damage other than a chunk missing from the lower rubber seal on the edge of the frame.

Picture shows the new replacement device and the remainder of the one that decided to explode.

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,04 Neon,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
2,410 Posts
Geez, Sure glad the dog was NOT still attached also.......:rolleyes::oops:

·
Premium Member
2019 KIA Sorento SX - 3.3L GDi V6 - AWD
955 Posts
...wait

...not so fast MIA KIA 09...

"very LOUD explosion"

Do you know where your dog is Steve???

·
Premium Member
2019 KIA Sorento SX - 3.3L GDi V6 - AWD
955 Posts
Well, if that's your dog in my pic... then it looks like he's okay. Thank God!

(Although I have no idea how I managed to get a hold of his picture?!)

"It sounded like a rifle shot..."

You probably should look for a bullet hole...

;)

Reactions: Jacob King

·
Registered
2018 Rio, 1.4 automatic | Top UAE specs
12 Posts
Wow, it must have taken quite a lot of power to make the metal bend almost straight! Weird stuff. I had a cigarette lighter explode when my car was left in the sun once, the shrapnel was everywhere! Glad I wasn't inside the car...

·
Registered
1985 Subaru Loyale (wagon), 2000 Kia Sephia (sedan), and 1969 Mercury Comet (coupé)
2,852 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Sorento SX L (FWD)
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is a big mystery. Must have closed the door on it in such a way as to stress the heck out of it. Then down the road a few blocks and BANG. Of course no smoke or smell of anything odd. Just metal that had enough. The little spring in there could not contain any energy to speak of.

I do notice every little noise in the car these days. Today an empty plastic water bottle on the back seat decided to squeak and that got my attention.

·
Registered
1985 Subaru Loyale (wagon), 2000 Kia Sephia (sedan), and 1969 Mercury Comet (coupé)
2,852 Posts
... I do notice every little noise in the car these days. Today an empty plastic water bottle on the back seat decided to squeak and that got my attention.
I know that feeling...
Kind Regards.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts