Kia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new Borrego owner and love the truck, but am a bit aggravated that the front interior lights don't come on when opening the doors. I'm considering the interior lighting system (linked below) to address this, but from looking at the cup holders, etc. I don't see how it would be easily installed.

Does anyone have experience installing this? Any feedback on the site that is offering this and other accessories at seemingly good prices?

KiaPartsPeople.com - Genuine Kia Parts and Kia Accessories

Any comments on other solutions to the front lighting issue are appreciated as well.

·
Premium Member
2010 Kia Borrego
30 Posts
I havent tried it yet but I was just looking at it online. The gear shift knob comes off the stick then the face plate around the shifter lifts up. From there you can pretty much get to all the places you need....I think. Don't quote me on this but I had an issue with the drawer in the centre console and we had to take the whole shifter/face plate assembly off to get to it...from what I remember seeing it would be easy from there to put the interior lights in.

·
Registered
2009 Borrego
233 Posts
I installed LED's in our cup holders and under the front dash. From looking at the picture you posted I can't tell where the LED's are installed in the cup holders.

I put ours in the front part just under the small flaps. From what I remember, at the time I had a hard time removing the holders completely and it was easy to drill the holes in the front. Only thing is that the right one actually reflects of the passenger window at night, it's a little distracting..

As far as wiring goes, I think I took power from another illuminated area which was the shifter light I believe.

The front dome light has been a little frustrating for me as well. I haven't tackled it yet, but I would assume that running a trigger wire from the middle light above the headliner to the front light would be the way to go. As soon as I get it wired I'll post some details.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm a new Borrego owner and love the truck, but am a bit aggravated that the front interior lights don't come on when opening the doors. I'm considering the interior lighting system (linked below) to address this, but from looking at the cup holders, etc. I don't see how it would be easily installed.

Does anyone have experience installing this? Any feedback on the site that is offering this and other accessories at seemingly good prices?

KiaPartsPeople.com - Genuine Kia Parts and Kia Accessories

Any comments on other solutions to the front lighting issue are appreciated as well.
Thanks for the link, will definitely be picking up a set of these.

·
Registered
2009 Borrego
233 Posts
When you guys buy them is it possible for you to post some pictures of the kit before you install it??
I'm trying to understand what components they come with because it's quite expensive for what I think they are.

·
Registered
15 Posts
When you guys buy them is it possible for you to post some pictures of the kit before you install it??
I'm trying to understand what components they come with because it's quite expensive for what I think they are.
When I get a set. I'll post some Pics of the kit.

·
Registered
36 Posts
i haven't yet thought about this but the 'ambiance' achieved after completion looks interesting.

i like the KIA idea but not the price for the KIA parts

i would assume this could be done with simple interior LEDs( with current drop resistors included ) sold on your local parts store and
1. pulling the shifter up and removing the top plastic panel and front drawer for access
2. a bit of drilling, filing, and fitting/glueing in of clear plastic windows( like cut plastic from DVD cases ) to protect the LEDs
3. connecting into the right line for on/off/dimming control

over $200 for the KIA stuff?? a lot of money.......and me being so cheap?

BTW, i saw on the new Sorento that they have an 'ambiance' lighting kit/accessory on the door panel right above from the buttons and arm rest.....looks nice.......looks like a good addition for the Borrego when i get around to it....would have to pull the door panels though

·
Registered
27 Posts
I installed the interior lighting kit with the rear add-on kit as well. I felt that the interior lighting was far sub-par before the kit. The kit is pretty complex, with a control box, a selector switch, and a total of 8 additional LED Light clusters. I do have some history with wiring and mechanical skills, so I was willing to do it myself ($300 to install at dealer!!!). If you buy both the kit and the add-on rear floor light kit it comes to around $300 at the dealer. The instructions with the kit were written for mechanics but I must say that they were very clear and precise, although very involved. It took me about 6 or so hours to install everything and it involved completely removing the center console and a bunch of additional panels under and around the dash. The kit included everything needed outside of basic common tools, including a drill and various sized drill bits.

The results are very impressive. My front and second row seats have floor lighting, that are bright white when the doors are open, or red when the headlights are turned on. The center console cup holders and forward console tray are lit with 4 LED lights as well, with the same white color when the doors are open, or red when the doors are closed and the headlights/dash lights are lit. There is a switch which you install in the center console storage box that allows you to select between, red, yellow, green or blue night lighting for the LEDs. The red is the best choice as it matches the dash backlighting, the others aren't necessary.

The car dash dimmer switch does nothing to illuminate or dim the installed LEDs. If you know anything about LEDs, they don't dim anyways.

My only problem with the LEDs is that they are a completely different tone than the rest of the interior white dome lights. I am in the process of replacing those lights with new LED lights as well, but the dome light part numbers for the Borrego lights don't match up with the part numbers in auto part stores... so i'm still working on that. I do have LED lights in the sun visor vanity lights and the rear cargo light. I'm still working on finding LEDs for the Dome lights and the map lights.

Hope this helps. I have had the kits installed for a few months now, and they work great. I must say that this kit should be an option from the factory.. especially on a Limited like I have.

I will try to figure out how to post pics here when I get the time... never have before.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I installed the interior lighting kit with the rear add-on kit as well. I felt that the interior lighting was far sub-par before the kit. The kit is pretty complex, with a control box, a selector switch, and a total of 8 additional LED Light clusters. I do have some history with wiring and mechanical skills, so I was willing to do it myself ($300 to install at dealer!!!). If you buy both the kit and the add-on rear floor light kit it comes to around $300 at the dealer. The instructions with the kit were written for mechanics but I must say that they were very clear and precise, although very involved. It took me about 6 or so hours to install everything and it involved completely removing the center console and a bunch of additional panels under and around the dash. The kit included everything needed outside of basic common tools, including a drill and various sized drill bits.

The results are very impressive. My front and second row seats have floor lighting, that are bright white when the doors are open, or red when the headlights are turned on. The center console cup holders and forward console tray are lit with 4 LED lights as well, with the same white color when the doors are open, or red when the doors are closed and the headlights/dash lights are lit. There is a switch which you install in the center console storage box that allows you to select between, red, yellow, green or blue night lighting for the LEDs. The red is the best choice as it matches the dash backlighting, the others aren't necessary.

The car dash dimmer switch does nothing to illuminate or dim the installed LEDs. If you know anything about LEDs, they don't dim anyways.

My only problem with the LEDs is that they are a completely different tone than the rest of the interior white dome lights. I am in the process of replacing those lights with new LED lights as well, but the dome light part numbers for the Borrego lights don't match up with the part numbers in auto part stores... so i'm still working on that. I do have LED lights in the sun visor vanity lights and the rear cargo light. I'm still working on finding LEDs for the Dome lights and the map lights.

Hope this helps. I have had the kits installed for a few months now, and they work great. I must say that this kit should be an option from the factory.. especially on a Limited like I have.

I will try to figure out how to post pics here when I get the time... never have before.
Great info, thanks !!

·
Registered
17 Posts
the leds should be able to dim, the ones in my car do. is this kit simply an on/off type of switch, (you could replace it with a multi on/off/dim switch if that was the case) or is it just hard wired into the rest of the truck?

i've seen this kit and my girlfriend (who is the owner) really likes it but i was worried about voiding warranty on it, how's that work??

thanks for a reply if i get one!

·
Registered
2009 Borrego
233 Posts
Manufacturers cannot void vehicle warranties as easily as you may think. There has be reasonable grounds for it.. don't believe everything that your dealer says.

·
Registered
17 Posts
the main thing i've always used is not to cut, but bare, split and wrap into the existing wire..

is there a spot that will tell what will and won't void warranty?

·
Registered
17 Posts
i thank you very much. i've got an ol' 01 grand am so warranty and that thing were never formally introduced lol but back in the day of the stereo shop that was all that was preached, never cut wires, which the wrap into isn't hard or anything, i just enjoy using butt splices lol!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello All,
I just purchased an 09 LX with 13k on it. I worked the KIA dealer to throw in light kit (installed) and roof cross bars as part of the deal. The lights were ordered and are suppose to be in this week. I can't wait to see how they look installed. So far we enjoy the Borrego. The biggest complaint we have is the seat are not real comfortable and what it up with the headrest jetting forward into the back of your head? I am considering bending the headrest bars back some on both sides. I am 6' tall and my wife is 5'10" and the headrests don't fit us very well. Aside from that we like the Borrego thus far.

·
Registered
2009 Kia Borrego EX V8
68 Posts
I installed LED's in our cup holders and under the front dash. From looking at the picture you posted I can't tell where the LED's are installed in the cup holders.
How do you remove the shifting knob? Do you just pull it up, or do you unscrew it? The Kia website simply said remove it, but did not say how.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts