Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2012 SX Sportage
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any of the SX owners noticed that the exhaust is "loose". going over just small bumps and such will move the exhaust quite a bit. I was wondering if there was anything of other exhaust hangers that we could buy? Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
2017 Kia Niro Touring w/Tech Pkg, Blue/Grey
2,051 Posts
Mine is fine.............

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
979 Posts
There is a lot of movement in the SX dual exhaust as it comes from the factory, very bad if you have a hitch. Not so much a problem otherwise. I secured mine with a couple universal exhaust hangers similar to this:
Walker Exhaust 36272 Hardware-Hanger-Universal | Exhaust Hangers
I bought one of those...sadly, I didn't where to secure it so I used a couple of wide Zip-ties instead. I wrapped two Zip-ties around the rubber exhaust hangers on each side.

·
Registered
2011 KIA Sportage SX, 2016 Ford Focus RS
480 Posts
I bought one of those...sadly, I didn't where to secure it so I used a couple of wide Zip-ties instead. I wrapped two Zip-ties around the rubber exhaust hangers on each side.
I found pre-threaded bolt holes on the side of the frame, just had to find a bolt to fit and I think I had to drill out a hole on the hanger to make it slightly larger. Put one on both sides, the exhaust barely moves at all now.

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
979 Posts
I found pre-threaded bolt holes on the side of the frame, just had to find a bolt to fit and I think I had to drill out a hole on the hanger to make it slightly larger. Put one on both sides, the exhaust barely moves at all now.
Thanks for that! Driver or passenger side?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Both sides, one per side.

·
Registered
480 Posts
And here is what it looks like. You can barely see up on the side of the frame where a bolt holds the strapping on, this is driver side. Passenger side has same.

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
979 Posts
I just completed this mod this afternoon. Since the hole was already threaded I used the shortest M10 bolt I could find (an M10x16 bolt) and I still had to use two washers to take up the slack.

I used my Dremel with a cylindrical grinding bit to open up the hole on the exhaust hanger by just a little bit.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Paint is cheap. Clean, then throw some 650c spraypaint on there. Everytime I see a rusty undercarriage on a new car now, I think "planned obsolescence". Galvanizing screws is just so expensive these days.

Good mod. I'm not sure why Kia left significant flex room in the exhaust.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts