Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm warming up the car while I scrap some ice of my rear windshield after work. I notice the smoke is pouring out of the right pipe and nothing from the left. I already know the right usually produces more exhaust, but my surprise was when I put my hand down and felt nothing coming from the left exhaust :confused:. I'm gonna check later since I'm home to see if it's still doing nothing, and needs checking out or if it's back to doing something. :huh:

·
Registered
2012 Sportage SX AWD Mineral Silver
459 Posts
Mine does the same. I believe the exhaust is a simple split exhaust at the muffler and not a true dual exhaust. So, the exhaust takes the path of least resistance when sitting idle (or any time really).

I had my wife follow me one day in her car and she confirmed to see it coming out both sides when moving and stepping on the gas. You can confirm by looking at the black soot on the pipes as well.

I would guess you are OK and nothing to worry about... You could clean the black off and start fresh for a day or two and see what kind of build up you get, or have someone follow you when you are going down the road...

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Mine does the same. I believe the exhaust is a simple split exhaust at the muffler and not a true dual exhaust. So, the exhaust takes the path of least resistance when sitting idle (or any time really).

I had my wife follow me one day in her car and she confirmed to see it coming out both sides when moving and stepping on the gas. You can confirm by looking at the black soot on the pipes as well.

I would guess you are OK and nothing to worry about... You could clean the black off and start fresh for a day or two and see what kind of build up you get, or have someone follow you when you are going down the road...
That's it - the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Incidentally, factory 'duals' have been doing the same thing for the last 60 yrs. You won't see anything from the 'second' outlet until pressure builds up in the exhaust system and forces it out. The pressure increase comes from more gas being generated by the engine in actual road use or just goosing the gas while parked. It will continue to 'do nothing' as long as it's just idling. Get somebody to kick the gas while you watch - you'll see something.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Exhaust'll take the path of least resistance. Once pressure builds to restrict flow through one pipe, it'll spill over into the other. It's still good; there's no potential bottleneck after the spilt.

It's not a complete dual exhaust-system because it's an inline-4. While it could be split up front, I've never seen that done. A V-# block has exhaust starting in two different directions, hence the occasional performance dual setup.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts