Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. New to the forum :57:

I have just bought Picanto1.1Se, great little car except for the exhaust vibration when moving off in first. I also have a problem with the CD/radio which keeps switching itself off and then back on again about a minute later. Anybody out there in Kia land have any suggestions, or even have similar faults???

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:clap: Thanks Straydog.

Dealer is to replace exhaust next week, also the radio was replaced with a new one. One more fault i reported was the handbreak not holding on hills, that turned out to be a faulty caliper on the rear enad and not adjustment as previously thought.

Will let you know what epart of the exhaust they replace .

Dealers were great about the whole thing.

Speak again

Tony.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Had similar handbrake / caliper (LH rear) problem on mine after 7 months. Handbrake wouldn't hold - RHS full on but LHS barely working. Caliper assembly was replaced under warranty. Good service but a worrying fault.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My SE was 11 months old when taken to the dealers, it too had problems holding the car especially on hills, their initial gut feeling was adjustment, but on closer inspection turned out to be the caliper. The job has not been done yet(this thursday i hope) but it seems they have a small problem rearing its head regarding the brake calipers.

Anyone else thats experiencing hand brake prob's might need to get it to the dealers and get the Caliper checked.

Will post the outcome of the replacement part and whether it cures the problem!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi again Straydog. The Exhaust was as you suggested a problem with the silencer, so the dealer replaced twothirds of the exhaust and the problem of the vibration has now gone.
The car was less tha a year old, so this would suggest a manufacturers problem, and although not happening on all picanto's, it is happening and worth keeping in mind so to advise others in the forum.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Jukia.

Had my car into the dealers today, it too had a problem with the nearside rear brake caliper, so they replace it under warranty. What a differance!

Seems this N/S/R Caliper being faulty is also worth keeping an Eye on for other forum users as well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi tmag,

glad to know your dealer sorted out your car's little troubles. regarding the hand brake not holding, now that someone mentioned it, mine showed similar behavior which I didn't take much notice. when I last visited my dealer, they took the initiative of fixing it without any request from me. now all i need to have a solid hand brake is just a couple of inches pull upward.

a safe and enjoyable motoring to all!

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi, i have the same problems with my muffler vibration too. and i have been using it for 6 months, ill be taking it back to the dealer next week, i demand that they should change the defective muffler. i once had it checked when it was still a week old, but they didnt find anything wrong, they didnt fix it. i bought my car here in cebu philippines. as i know it service is bad here in cebu. :(

·
Registered
2005 Kia Picanto
185 Posts
My handbrake does hold the car on hills but needs to be pulled up quite high, is this the same fault?

What sort of vibration is it with the muffler fault?

Kevin.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi luxemp.

Sorry to hear you are having prob's with the old vibrating exhaust. It does seem Kia have a small problem in this department and in my case and that of Straydog too seemed to be cured by a replacement Exhaust.

I bought the car at around 11 months old and the fault with the exhaust was there strait away. Having sought the advice of forum members i went to my local dealers and explained the problem and also that Kia were aware of this given that they had replaced exhausts, albeit only a few. I also told them of the problems straydog had had( check previous answers to my initial question ) and that althought the problem was small by comparison to the amount of cars they had sold world wide, the problem still exists.

They took the car, did a few road tests and said that there was a problem, although they were not sure as to where on the exhaust, they thought the front section was to blame. They ordered the parts and when i got the car back form repair, they had replace two thirds of the exhaust up to the back box. The fault with the vibration has now gone.

If they have not yet sorted your problem, take it back to them explaining the problems other forum members have had and quote the Kia Dealer in Dukinfield, Greater Manchester. in the U.K. who did my repair.

Hope you have better luck armed with this.

Let us all know how you get on.

tmag.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi kevdyas.

Sounds a similar fault to what i had. The handbrake would not hold on hills unless you realy pulled hard. As with another forum user, the problem turned out to be the N/S/R brake caliper which was siezed, which the dealer replaced on warranty without argument.

Exhaust wise, my car used to make a small vibration when pulling away in 1st, also when i dropped to third in low rev's and you could even hear it slightly when accellerating slowly through the gears. The dealer replaced the exhaust under warranty too, also with no argument.

you will still be under warranty, so get to the dealers armed with this and good luck in your attemps to get your car sorted.

Other than these few faults, my 1.1 SE is a great little car and so far i do not regret buying it ( hope thats not the kiss off death ) Ha Ha !

Let us know how you get on?

tmag.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts