Kia Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a few weeks we have smelled exhaust in the cab of our 2006 kia sorento lx. We dont smell it all the time. It usually occurs when we stop at a red light. Within 30 seconds its n the cab. I cant pin point the issue under the truck. Any ideas??

·
Registered
2009 Sportage, 98 Sportage, 2012 Tata Xenon, 1944 Jeep
515 Posts
Are you sure it is exhaust or oil leaking from the rocker covers burning off the exhaust manifolds. Mine does it too, I'm debating as to whether or not I can put up with it untill 200,000 Km and then fix them when I have to do the timing belt anyway. It is such tiny smear of oil too, but makes a big stink.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well we are at 126,000, so I'm 6,000 over for replacing the timing belt :-\

I might as well pull the engine cover off this weekend and see where it's leaking from.

Happen to have any photos of the rocker covers on the Sorento? I've been hosed by the Kia dealers 3 times now so I'll be taking over all projects vs. letting the wife take it in for service.

·
Registered
I now drive a 2020 Ram Bighorn. Had an 03 LX 3.5 Sorento
2,525 Posts
I found it easier to remove the front wheel then the inner liner, then look in the engine compartment from the wheel well. You can see the lower valve cover corner and see if it has oil on it. I replaced all the plastic screw inserts with nut-serts and 1/4" screws. Makes it much easier to remove and install the liner.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Were you ever able to determine the cause of this? I just purchased a 2014 used from a Toyota dealership 35 days ago and experiencing the same exact issue and been to the dealership service repair shop twice and they can’t replecate problem therefore I’m still stuck with problem now being referred directly to Kia by them to hopefully diagnose but insight to pass along would be great?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts