Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2002 kia sportage 2wd
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
exhaust manifold stud size

I am trying to determine the size, MM thread and length, I need the info so I will have some sense how far I can safely drill into the broken stud to extract and to hopefully have the replacement on hand the day of repair. the dealer does not list the stud as a part, nor does autozone. there are a number of various studs available on online and thru dorman, I just need some advise as to what dimensions and length to buy. thanks. -jay

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Hi JayR,

I can check this tomorrow am, will post the info for you Friday afternoon.

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Hi JayR,

Size: M10 x 1.25,

Total length: 1 3/4 " (44.45 mm)

Thread length: in Cylinder Head: 1/2 " (12.7 mm)

Stud shoulder length: 1/2 " (12.7 mm)

Thread length: Exhaust Manifold: 3/4" (19.05 mm)

Nut: Exhaust Manifold: M10 x 1.25, 14 mm

--
I've had good luck in the past doing an on-car repair by making a drill template with a small pilot hole over the broken stud hole: if I was doing the repair, I'd use the exhaust manifold gasket as a template and bolt the template up so my initial cut was centered over the broken stud, using a high-speed (dremel) tool with a 7/32" metal cutting drill bit, then expanding the hole from there, this to prevent/minimize thread tear-out.. Then I'd use a (Screw Extractor) to back-out the broken stud piece.

--
To answer your question, it looks like you have approx. 1/2" of stud in the cylinder head to remove,

Hope this helps,

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
2002 kia sportage 2wd
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
gotta cruise
thanks for the complete and concise answer... very helpful. -jay

1 - 4 of 4 Posts