Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
New to the forum and Kia's.
We have just bought a Kia Rio 3 EcoDynamic.
We love the car and have just been on our first long run in the car.
The car drives well and is very quiet apart from excessive road noise. On some road surfaces it is great and on others it is very noisy. I've asked around and have been told it is the type of tyres fitted that is the problem.
It's fitted with Continental 'Run Flat' tyres.

Is this a common problem with this type of tyre?
Can anyone recommend a tyre that is less noisy than the Continental?

I have been searching the forum and people have been indicating that its the under floor sound insulation that is the problem but I am not convinced.

Any advice / ideas would be most welcome.

Thanks,
Bob.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SI 1.6L Auto
20 Posts
Hi car21milton. Unsure what part of the world you are in.

I am in Australia and I have heard some of it has to do with the type of sound deadaning that is used by Kia. Changing the tyre will help but i believe you will have some road noise in any car you drive. It depends on the road conditions and tyre pressure etc.

I also have some road noise but I have got use to it.

Thanks

Kiwalian

·
Registered
Cerato
692 Posts
I've found that Yokohama tyres are fairly quiet. Standard "A.Drive", but only available in certain sizes.

·
Registered
RIO SLI 6M 5DOOR
3 Posts
Tyre noise

I got rid of the Continentals on my SLI and fitted Nexen N8000 (215-45-17).
Vast improvement in road noise on most surfaces.

·
Registered
2013 KIA Rio5 1.4 AT
32 Posts
I got rid of the Continentals on my SLI and fitted Nexen N8000 (215-45-17).
Vast improvement in road noise on most surfaces.
So, do you have to change spare tire also? will it still fit when placing into well trunk? Or you don't need to spare tire anymore?

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
So, do you have to change spare tire also? will it still fit when placing into well trunk? Or you don't need to spare tire anymore?
Why not change the brand of tyre and keep the same size? That way, you'll be able to keep the spare and save some money. If it's full-size and you want to include it in the rotation, best to swap it too. Unless you have money to burn, leave the upgrade until the original tyres are well worn.

Do you have a full-size spare? In some countries, KIA only supplies a repair kit; other possiblity is that you have a temporary spare. In most cases there's plenty of room in the trunk for a full-size spare. This underlines the craziness of the temporary spare phenomenon: (Too small to be of much use; saves an insignificant amount of weight; expensive to repair/replace).

The Yokohama tyres mentioned in a couple of posts generally have a fairly conservative tread pattern, and this helps to keep down road noise. I've noticed that some brands (e.g. Michelin), get noisier as the tread wears.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio5 LX mtx
181 Posts
Road noise doesn't bother me...we've too many different road surfaces in Texas; I run the factory Hanooks; and on long drives (out of state) is mostly interstate (nice until you go through Louisiana). After 4 or 5 hundred miles, you don't notice it.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio LX (auto)
47 Posts
i guess im the only one that blast music loudly year round so i never really heard things like that other then snow when it hits my car from other cars

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
the road surface can greatly affect the noise as well. The more coarse ones will send a lot of road noise into the cabin, where there are some used in this country at least that are smooth as silk and quiet as a mouse. Usually used when they re-surface a road crudely by just dumping another layer on top

either way the Rio was never heralded as having fantastic NVH characteristics, but it's still decent.

·
Registered
24 Posts
the road surface can greatly affect the noise as well. The more coarse ones will send a lot of road noise into the cabin, where there are some used in this country at least that are smooth as silk and quiet as a mouse. Usually used when they re-surface a road crudely by just dumping another layer on top

either way the Rio was never heralded as having fantastic NVH characteristics, but it's still decent.
I agree, the road noise is louder on rough asphalt surfaces (with stock hankook eco kinergy tyres). Kinda like the rubber spray idea though, and might consider doing it. I'm searching for proper material. It's well explained in the article

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio 5 SX UVO, 2012 Cadillac Escalade Ultra Luxury
116 Posts
Dont waste your money on the spray. Just be one with the fact tats it's a Kia, not a cadillac.

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
Dont waste your money on the spray. Just be one with the fact tats it's a Kia, not a cadillac.
So because a Kia is not as soundproofed as a Cadailac Kia owners shouldn't take steps to impove their cars?

I fully understand that my car is not soundproofed well because it is in the lower price range, and you can't expect the best. Which is why it's up to ME to improve it if I choose.

I feel that people are not blaming Kia for doing a crappy job, but are pointing out the crappy soundproofing and are seeking ways to make it better. That's my position on it anyway.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio 5 SX UVO, 2012 Cadillac Escalade Ultra Luxury
116 Posts
So because a Kia is not as soundproofed as a Cadailac Kia owners shouldn't take steps to impove their cars?

I fully understand that my car is not soundproofed well because it is in the lower price range, and you can't expect the best. Which is why it's up to ME to improve it if I choose.

I feel that people are not blaming Kia for doing a crappy job, but are pointing out the crappy soundproofing and are seeking ways to make it better. That's my position on it anyway.
no worries.. i didnt meen any negative anyways... just pointinga fact. But all in all, go for the Dynamat before the spray... dynamat is a proven great product for sound deadening.

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
no worries.. i didnt meen any negative anyways... just pointinga fact. But all in all, go for the Dynamat before the spray... dynamat is a proven great product for sound deadening.
I'm going to go with BQuiet. From what I've read it's just as good and yet cheaper than Dynamat.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio SLS
95 Posts
the road surface can greatly affect the noise as well. The more coarse ones will send a lot of road noise into the cabin, where there are some used in this country at least that are smooth as silk and QUIET AS A MOUSE. Usually used when they re-surface a road crudely by just dumping another layer on top

Nah im really not very quiet :p

I drive on nothing but country roads. We have no smooth roads in sight and I don't consider my Rio to produce 'Excessive road noise'. It's actually quieter than my 2003 Camry was :D

·
Premium Member
'12 Rio SLS, '13 XR6 Turbo, '15 XR8 S/C
995 Posts
Nah im really not very quiet :p
is that so?

yeah even though i'm in Melbourne metro, a lot of our roads are pretty terrible

i find the worst noises the Rio makes are when it hits small, but sharp holes in the road.. you feel the noise and recoil before your neck has managed to process the jolt

1 - 20 of 22 Posts