Kia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Kia Carens, CRDI EX/AT
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 CRDI Carens with 120,000 kms on it. I noticed the oil being down by about 2 liters after 4000 km of driving. I checked the exhaust for the tell-tale "blue" smoke as sign of oil burning but there was none.

I had the dealer trouble shoot it and they opened up the engine and replaced some oil seal. It was a 4 day- job of dismantling the engine. All this to no avail. What could be doing this? Has anyone experienced this?

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
2 litres of oil in 4000 km may be of concern, but it's hardly excessive. At that rate, you'll not notice any smoke from the exhaust, and the plugs are unlikely to foul up in a petrol engine. One car that I owned used 1 litre per 1000 km without any particular problem.

It might be worn cylinders/pistons and a change in oil grade or type may go some way towards curing the problem. If you are using standard 5W-30 oil, try 5W-30 synthetic, then 10W-40 etc. Even a change of brand may do the trick.

Any leaks will be readily apparent at the rate you are seeing. (Spots on the garage floor or thrown oil).

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Impreza 2.5i Premium 5-door, *old* 2009 Kia Rondo LX 4cyl 2.4L
492 Posts
If you are using standard 5W-30 oil, try 5W-30 synthetic, then 10W-40 etc.
If it's leaking oil, going to a synthetic of the same weight would probably leak even more, I think. Seems to me that synthetics a little thinner (not the right term, but...) than a non-synthetic of the same weight. If you want to not have as much leak and you are currently using non-synthetic, I would try going up to a more viscous non-synthetic oil.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
If it's leaking oil, going to a synthetic of the same weight would probably leak even more, I think. Seems to me that synthetics a little thinner (not the right term, but...) than a non-synthetic of the same weight. If you want to not have as much leak and you are currently using non-synthetic, I would try going up to a more viscous non-synthetic oil.
I'm simply suggesting that the OP try a range of oils. I have had older cars that really differed in oil usage just by changing brands. I can't remember the details, but I think Mobil was better than Castrol in my old GM engine, (both 15W-40).

I don't see why a synthetic should leak more, provided it's the same viscosity. But remember, there's quite a bit of allowable variation in viscosity within a particular Grade (e.g. 20 Grade ranges from 5.6 to 9.3 cSt). Also, viscosity is measured by basically seeing how fast a sample of oil flows through a hole.

Synthetic oils look and feel very close to a mineral oil of similar specification, I've never thought that they were any "thinner". Fact is, the oil molecules are pretty much the same, except that a mineral oil is likely to have a greater range of chain-lengths than synthetic.

·
Banned
79 Posts
If you're losing excessive amounts of oil and there is no obvious leak etc, make sure you get that car looked at by a professional mechanic asap, and check the oil ever 3-4 days, at LEAST once per week in the meantime, keep it up to full level. You're running into 'engine seizing up' territory if you lose half the engine's oil regularly, and keep driving with it low like that.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2009 Kia Carens, CRDI EX/AT
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I hear you all loud and clear, but it seems that none of the readers had ever experienced this. I would try the suggestion to change oil viscosity and brand, and I am already watching my oil every 3rd day to make sure that it doesn't fall so below that it would mess up my engine.

At the same time, I would wait for other possible posters who might have had this experience. My engine compression is still excellent by the way and I thought I'd mention this so as for readers not to think that my pistons or rings are okay. 120,000 kms for a well maintained engine is not really old, especially if it's a CRDI engine, IMO.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Did the oil usage suddenly increase, or has it always used a bit of oil? I know what you are worried about, because most cars these days never need topping-up between oil changes.

BTW, some cars, such as Porsche, are known to use a fair bit of oil (1 litre/1000 km). So oil usage doesn't necessarily indicate a problem.

·
Registered
2008 kia rondo
7 Posts
mine is leaking it a lot. never had a good look yet but going down at least a liter a week. it is leaking for sure, not burning it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Kia Picanto

I have a Kia Picanto and it is doing exactly the same thing.....admittedly it is 11 years old but only has 68 000 on the clock, and I am on here for an answer to this as well......have looked after it and gotten regular services.

·
Registered
Gen 1 Vanilla Soul Shaker 1.6 crdi Auto 2013
1,496 Posts
Hello Rabacam. the 2.0 Crdi engine properly serviced does not usually burn any oil between oil changes below 80k miles.
. The oil loss or gain is linked to Diesel getting into the engine oil.
On earlier cars the only way was through leaking injectors yours is same year as mine was so this will be cause.
The other cause only happens on later cars that are programmed in the ECU to do a DPF/ catalyst burn out, the programmes fault and diesel pumped in to cause burn out.
This is confirmed by oil change using an an oil as specified in hand book thicker oils cause more problems.
Check your oil every time you use the car . it is observed slight increase at first as diesel absorbed by oil then drops as you are getting oil is reduced to diesel.
The crankcase pressure from diesel diluted oil will be sent back to air intake via engine breather and burnt off as diesel.
Hence little extra smoke.
When you get problem sorted would be good time to change to fully synthetic not before.

Jeff

1 - 11 of 11 Posts