Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've narrowed my new vehicle selection down to the 2013 Kia Sorento EX -- now I'm trying to decide between the 4 cyl AWD, 4 cyl FWD, or V6 FWD. I'm not towing anything; I drive 30,000 miles per year approx; live in southwestern Michigan on a farm with a long driveway that drifts often.

I have a 2008 Saturn Outlook FWD that I will say is not great on snow; I love the way the Sorento handles, size, etc. Just looking for opinions from those that have experienced this vehicle.

thanks in advance for your input -- I really appreciate it!!

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 12 Sedona LX
1,415 Posts
If you can afford it, don't skimp, get the V6 AWD. The V6 has a lot more power than the 4, runs much smoother, and gets the same mileage if driven conservatively. If you plan on going through drifting snow, you'll need the AWD.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
I was in your shoes a few months ago. I considered the 4cyl but really needed AWD. From what I heard, the 4cyl is underpowered and not as smooth as the V6.

I can drive my AWD V6 like a old lady and get 20+ City and 30 Hwy. Unfortunately driving like a grandma isn't easy to do when you have a peppy V6 under the hood.

If you get the FWD V6 you may experience quite a bit of torque steer under hard acceleration, but if you arent that type of person, the FWD V6 would be just fine.

AWD helps even things out a little. Since you say you own a FWD vehicle that isn't so good on snow, I'd go for the AWD V6 if you can.

The V6 + AWD + 6 Speed auto is a beautiful mixture. As said before, the 3.5L is one of the smoothest V6's in its class. I can't even feel mine idle let alone hear it.

Like I said, I was in your shoes. I had a choice between a EX I4 AWD or EX V6 AWD. I went with the V6 AWD and haven't looked back since. The fuel economy is so close between the I4 and V6 that it's not worth getting the I4 over the much more refined V6.

Bottom line is, I would get the V6 if I were you. AWD or not, thats up to you!

Edit: Re-read your original post. Are you able to get an AWD V6 or is that spot saved for a I4 only?

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sportage EX
156 Posts
My AWD I4 has plenty of power. It's a back and forth to work commuter for me and it does great in the winter. No need to spend an extra $1500 to $2500 just to get the V6. In Michigan I would definitely go with AWD.

·
Registered
Kia Sorento EX 2012
109 Posts
The advice about getting a V6 or GDI 4 cyl is not spot on. The power curve is not as significant as mentioned above but there is a difference yes. The V6 could possibly get the same gas mileage as the V4 if and I mean IF you drive very conservatively and that is not as easy to do as one might think.
If you are planning on doing some high end towing the GDI is a good buy, cheaper in both the time of purchase and at the gas pump later down the line.

If you want to gun the motor alot and get up and go to the point where you want to beat someone off of the line at a stop light or just like the feeling of ALOT of power and being able to "race" it a little then a V6 is a good choice. If you are doing a lot of towing up and down hills and the like a V6 is a good choice.
If you are driving around town, wanting good to decent gas mileage. Good power and being able to accelerate up a ramp knowing you will get to speed before you hit traffic and then even at Stop lights it can accelerate fast enough to get ahead of traffic to be able to change lanes ahead of another car and such. A GDI engine is a good choice too. It does do towing of smaller boats (17 feet and below for the most part) with no problems (did this during the summer of this year with little problems.)

The AWD goes through the snow nicely as I found out earlier this month in Northern MN and something I would not go without in a snow state such as Michigan or Minnesota (where i live). This is the main thing I would consider in the vehicle as a MUST for where you live.

Test drive them both, determine your budget, features of the vehicle that are a must for you and go from there. I got a lot of nice features in my Sorento and did not pay a premium for the V6 and still got plenty of power. I have gone over/through mountains on a 3500 mile round trip during the late summer and they had some heavy grades to them and yet I never felt underpowered to the point where I was nervous at any point. It handled nicely enough that I was proud to be an owner of this Sorento. I was able to pass other vehicles fine on those grades as well. SO plenty of power :)

So you have a choice to make here. Test drive, test drive, test drive! :)
Good luck

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
Test drive them both and see if you can stomach the lack of torque and power in the 4-cyl. Read the forums for a while and you'll see that the real world gas mileage difference is minimal. I don't drive mine like a granny and I get 20mpg around town and 28+mpg on the highway. The V6 AWD is also likely to retain more resale value.

Best,

·
Registered
14 Kia Sorento (V6 EX AWD), 2013 Nissan Altima SV
293 Posts
I got the ....

I got the EX GDI FWD and I REALLLY wish that I had gotten the v6 AWD. I don't really need it, but it would have been nice. :)

I've narrowed my new vehicle selection down to the 2013 Kia Sorento EX -- now I'm trying to decide between the 4 cyl AWD, 4 cyl FWD, or V6 FWD. I'm not towing anything; I drive 30,000 miles per year approx; live in southwestern Michigan on a farm with a long driveway that drifts often.

I have a 2008 Saturn Outlook FWD that I will say is not great on snow; I love the way the Sorento handles, size, etc. Just looking for opinions from those that have experienced this vehicle.

thanks in advance for your input -- I really appreciate it!!

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX V6 AWD w/Sunroof, RIDES a 2012 Suzuki GSXR 600
189 Posts
I'm with Sauron..... LOVE my EX V6 AWD. With the minimal difference in fuel mileage its crazy to buy the four banger. Once you put 4 people and their 'stuff' in the 4 cyl you'll be wishing you had the V6. The resale will also be better on the V6 AWD.

·
Registered
Wife- 2013 Sorento EX FWD, Me- 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
27 Posts
Here is a good site to see what people are actually getting for gas mileage between the 4 cylinder and the V6.

Kia Sorento MPG Reports | Fuelly

My wife loves her V6 FWD. In your situation, I would probably say go with the AWD if you are not happy with your current FWD.

·
Registered
2013 Silver Sorento EX V6AWD, 2007 Toyota Highlander V6LtdAWD, 2004 Toyota 4-Runner V6Ltd2x4
80 Posts
Maybe it's just us but we have V6's in our 2013 Sorento EX (4,000 miles on it), our 2007 Toyota Highlander (66,000 miles on it), and our 2004 Toyota 4Runner (168,000 miles on it which my oldest son now has up at UVM), we've always gone by the suggestion to get the larger engine option for performance, and for resale or trade down the road....

(and the Sorento EX V6 gives me a kick whenever I step on it to pass RAV's, CRV's, Edge's and Escape's)...!!:)

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
Here is a good site to see what people are actually getting for gas mileage between the 4 cylinder and the V6.

Kia Sorento MPG Reports | Fuelly

My wife loves her V6 FWD. In your situation, I would probably say go with the AWD if you are not happy with your current FWD.
Heh...per that site, the difference in mpg between the V6 and the I4 is a whopping 0.2mpg in real world usage.

21.5mpg avg for 6-cyl
vs
21.7mpg avg for 4-cyl

That's for the 2013 model year. Unless you're strapped for cash, there's no real reason to limit yourself to the I4. The gas mileage "savings" just isn't there in the real world.

Best,

·
Registered
Wife- 2013 Sorento EX FWD, Me- 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
27 Posts
Heh...per that site, the difference in mpg between the V6 and the I4 is a whopping 0.2mpg in real world usage.

21.5mpg avg for 6-cyl
vs
21.7mpg avg for 4-cyl

That's for the 2013 model year. Unless you're strapped for cash, there's no real reason to limit yourself to the I4. The gas mileage "savings" just isn't there in the real world.

Best,
I was really pushing for the 4 cylinder until I saw that website. Then when my wife test drove both versions herself, it made it much easier to go with the V6. She complained about the lack of power with the 4 cylinder. When I get to drive it, it is a nice vehicle to drive. I really enjoy the extra power.

Even when you look at the larger sample of the 2012, the V6 averages 21.4 compared to the I4 of 22.7.

·
Registered
2013 Sorento EX V6
65 Posts
I was really pushing for the 4 cylinder until I saw that website. Then when my wife test drove both versions herself, it made it much easier to go with the V6. She complained about the lack of power with the 4 cylinder. When I get to drive it, it is a nice vehicle to drive. I really enjoy the extra power.

Even when you look at the larger sample of the 2012, the V6 averages 21.4 compared to the I4 of 22.7.
Same was happened with me too. I had acura tl 3.2 with lot of power under gas pedal :) , and when I was at dealership I was told - "GDI 4 is better, it helps to save gas etc etc" The reason was - dealership did not have V6 in trim, I wanted to buy :) lol..... When I tested both, gdi 4cyl was underpowered to me and v6 - just felt right.
Anyway, since KIA has incentives for list of cars where my Acura was listed, I got v6 over v4 almost for free.
Good luck with your purchase !

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
Same was happened with me too. I had acura tl 3.2 with lot of power under gas pedal :) , and when I was at dealership I was told - "GDI 4 is better, it helps to save gas etc etc" The reason was - dealership did not have V6 in trim, I wanted to buy :) lol..... When I tested both, gdi 4cyl was underpowered to me and v6 - just felt right.
Anyway, since KIA has incentives for list of cars where my Acura was listed, I got v6 over v4 almost for free.
Good luck with your purchase !
I also got a $1000 incentive for already owning an Audi (which I didn't trade in). It ended up at a bit more than $3k below sticker with all the incentives. A comparable Ford Edge (which we also looked at and decided against due to unavailable 3rd row seating) would have ended up in the mid to high 30's.

Best,

·
Registered
2013 Sorento EX 2.4 GDI
4 Posts
I have the GDI 4 and am starting to regret it. I was bullheaded and insisted on the 4 for maximum gas mileage and convinced myself the power was sufficient. Then I had an SX V6 rental for 2 days and the power was amazing. And much to my horror, the V6 achieved better gas mileage over the same route in 2 days than I was getting in the EX GDI.

Where you live, the V6 AWD is probably what you want. The only decision really is cost

If gas mileage is a concern you really have to look at you local terrain. If you have even small hills to navigate, the 4 will not do better than the 6. If you have perfectly flat terrain and lots of highway miles then the 4 may do better.

·
Registered
2013 Silver Sorento EX V6AWD, 2007 Toyota Highlander V6LtdAWD, 2004 Toyota 4-Runner V6Ltd2x4
80 Posts
A Kia Sorento's curb weight is a tad over 3,800 pounds...something to keep in mind...

·
Registered
532 Posts
I think kia should start offering the 2.0T in the Sorento. The Sportage is a much better application for 4 cylinder but not the sorento. The Sorento should have a six or a Turbocharged four.

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
I think kia should start offering the 2.0T in the Sorento. The Sportage is a much better application for 4 cylinder but not the sorento. The Sorento should have a six or a Turbocharged four.
The 2.0T would be perfect as would a small displacement diesel. What you really need for a porky SUV is torque and both of those options ooze torque and offer attractive gas mileage if you don't drive it like a teenager.

Best,

·
Registered
532 Posts
The 2.0T would be perfect as would a small displacement diesel. What you really need for a porky SUV is torque and both of those options ooze torque and offer attractive gas mileage if you don't drive it like a teenager.

Best,
Just picture a 18 Year old with a V6 Sorento and you can imagine what my gas mileage is like.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts