Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2013 LX I4 GDI AWD, 2006 S2000
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Test drove an EX GDI a week ago and was satisfied with power and cabin integrity. Decided the LX was a better price for me. Drove an LX GDI today that dealer had trucked in to meet my option desires. The LX felt less powerful than the EX and seemed to let in more road noise than the EX. Is this typical for an LX?
Pushing on gas to force a downshift for passing just results in high rpm noise, no go fast. Is this a trait of the GDI power train? Is there a shift mode selection for the tranny?

T

·
Registered
2011 Sorento V6 AWD
150 Posts
As I dont have GDI I have the standard 3.5 V6 with plenty of power to spare. I would say being a new vehicle engine and tranny not broken in might have something to do with it. When you step on the gas and the rpm build so does your power and your speed is suppose to increase as well. If your rpm is going up but your speed is not then the power is not making it to the drive wheels. I know that the dealers can make TCM/ECM adjustments that would probably fix this so I would ask a mechanic if no one else chimes in soon with a better response.
As far as the cabin noise I dont think there are any differences that would account for this. Im not sure if the EX and LX have the same brand factory tires on them but even if they are different that shouldnt create enough noise that you should notice.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
It's just related to the underpowered 4 cylinder in these somewhat big heavy sorentos. Go for the EX V6. I'm sure you won't regret your purchase!

·
Registered
13 Sorento LX
42 Posts
I have an LX 4cyl with GDI and sometimes wish I had gone with the 6cyl. The 4 is very good on gas (for an SUV) and does fine when cruising around town or on the highway. But when you need to get up to speed quickly or overtake someone, it does lack.

·
Registered
2013 Silver Sorento EX V6AWD, 2007 Toyota Highlander V6LtdAWD, 2004 Toyota 4-Runner V6Ltd2x4
80 Posts
I have an EX V6 and LOVE it when I step on it and it snaps my head back...

I had the chance to rent a 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe that was normally aspirated and it was really disappointing to hear that 4 banger rev up with a whine to get on the highway...I think I can...I think I can...

If you can swing it get the V6...

·
Registered
2012 AWD Sorento GDI EX
55 Posts
Break in

I know that my GDI AWD EX gained power between 0 and 3000 miles. So, the break in helps.

Also, the transmission learns from the driver. A the transmission will keep the engine reving if it detects a "go fast driver". It will upshift quickly if it detects a driver who's driving gently.

The V6 is the proper engine for the Sorento. It has the power and it sounds more refined. That said, the GDI engine has gotten 27 mpg freeway. Around town, the GDI ranges around 16 to 20, depending on your driving style. I anticipate stops and coast the last 200 yards . I get 20 around town. My wife has two speeds, GO and Stop. She is punished with 16 mpg.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts