Kia Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Rio EX Sedan UVO Auto/Tanzanite blue/tinted windows/Vent visors
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I searched on this forum for the topic. Not too many answers and some contradictory views. Too make a short story. Last time, I fueled up with Supreme 91 octane from Ultramar -I'm in Canada- their only gas that is ethanol free. Before, I fueled with regular 87 with 10% ethanol as is recommended in Rio owner manual. Usual mileage would be 7.2 - 7.8 L/100km with more or less 480 km on the counter when the yello light ignites. Now the counter shows 470 km and the needle is next to last in the second half of the gas gage. So I expect this trio to be in the 500+. I swear I did not change driving habits. Slow starts, slow breaking, foot off the gas pedal as soon as I can, 90-100 km/h on highway, some times Max AC on -BTW I'm happy to notice there's not a great loss a power when AC is on-, sometimes power sunroof opened. Eco on. So is it the placebo effect or I see my Rio EX Sedan Auto getting better mileage with Supreme than with ordinary? Plus, it "seems" peppier. Not by much but I can feel it too. At each fill up, I change Eco setting: On/Off. When Eco off, I get 3-5 miles mpg less (do my mileage in both Liters/100km and MPG). Last fill up driving Eco Off, I even got 7 miles less. :eek: Question: will using Super 91 octane gas all the time will affect the engine like it will act bizarre if I decide to fill back with regular? Is using the middle grade gas Plus with 89 octane and 5% ethanol would be a wiser choice. Or go back to regular and forget about this tirade against using 91 octane gas in a Rio. :confused::confused:

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,237 Posts
Not another Octane thread! Seriously, you need to test it for yourself. Part of the difference you noticed could be the lower energy content of the ethanol.

I won't use 10% ethanol fuel for political reasons. Agricultural pressure groups take ethanol use as an article of faith, but urban legend has it that each litre of ethanol requires a litre of diesel to produce. (growing the cane, generating the ethanol, drying the ethanol, blending, transport etc.).

·
Registered
2016 Soul SX - Caribbean Blue
8,515 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Rio EX Sedan UVO Auto/Tanzanite blue/tinted windows/Vent visors
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Subject was ethanol not octane values!

I would have preferred it to be a thread on Ethanol. That's my main concern. If this question is becoming "another octane thread", not my fault. My subject cited Ethanol, not octane. As I said, I did some searching on the subject and I didn't come across a ton of information in this forum.

So should I put it this way: must be the placebo effect. In my post, I mention the fact that Supreme gas has no ethanol and my Rio seems to get better mileage right away. Octane? A sub-subject.

Should I understand Ethanol has no effect or side effect on any given engine? That regular gas with ethanol yields the same mileage than Supremer-Super without ethanol? That is my interrogation. I'll keep on searching.

·
Registered
10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
1,412 Posts
With ethynol there will be a slight difference in fuel economy and power, so small however, that depending on slightly changing driving conditions(traffic, temp, etc) it may not be noticable or be offset. Ethynol is a less efficient(lazy) fuel, and it burns leaner, so more is needed to provide the same performance. If you don't notice a power difference, which you shouldn't as the car should adjust, you should notice a small change(for the worse) in fuel economy.

·
Registered
2013 Rio5 EX w/ Convenience & ISG
293 Posts
Ethanol no. In Ohio, stations are not required to post the percentage of ethanol if its less than 10%. Shell is one of the few gasoline co that has less than 10% (I think its 6%) and is a higher detergent fuel.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought my Soul a year ago. Last fall I had some misfires and was told to use an additive that would remove water after filling up with 93 Octane, but asn't really told why.

The check engine light went on last week and I put the car in the shop on Tuesday. Thursday morning I learned I had ethanol poisoning. The service guy showed me the kit they have to clean it up, but that it's not a warranty issue. The kit is about $150. There's also and additive kit for $23 which I'll use.

They explained that the car was supposed to go 10,500 miles before it needed the cleaning but some factors could reduce that to 7,500 miles. Mine's at about 10.5. So, roughly every 10,000 miles you need to bring it in and have them apply the ethanol cleanup kit.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Rio, 2010 Mercedes Benz C300, 2005 Ponitiac GTO, 2017 Chevrolet Colorado 2WT
1,115 Posts
Since you chose to awaken this approaching three year old thread, I have to ask. What is ethanol poisoning? How does it manifest itself? In other words, what are the symptoms besides misfires? Carbon or other types of deposits? The term 'ethanol poisoning' is really vague. What does the 'clean up kit' consist of? What state (or country) are you in?

·
Registered
2008 Magentis EX 2.4
16 Posts
Ethanol poisoning is when one drinks far to much JD or other beverage containing high ethanol content in a short period of time, Happening a lot right now during spring break. General symptoms include slurred speech, unable to walk, loss of body functions, passing out and acting like an ass, severe cases may require a hospital and even death. most cases can be cured with aspirin and bed rest. Sounds like the Shop was trying to sell a fuel system cleaner to make some $$$$. Save your money and buy some JD. :laugh:

·
Registered
2014 Kia Rio, 2010 Mercedes Benz C300, 2005 Ponitiac GTO, 2017 Chevrolet Colorado 2WT
1,115 Posts
Now, that's what I'm talking about!

·
Registered
2013 Rio EX. 2014 Rio SX
275 Posts
Ethanol burns cleaner than gas, but is less efficient, so you will get better gas mileage with a gas that has no ethanol added.

I agree with the political side of the ethanol issue. I would prefer not to have it added to my gas.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
So, oaksong's claim of 'ethanol poisoning is a crock....either on his part or on the part of the 'service guy'.....I've never heard of ethanol causing any problems in a vehicle with fuel management. Older carbureated cars; yes. Modern computerized cars; no. Other than the above mentioned sluggishness and lesser fuel economy.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio LX hatch, 1993 lexus LS400, 1989 toyota celsior, 2003 vw asspats, 2008 VW Eos
579 Posts
I abuse my rio. I wont even lie. I mash the gas and everything lol but I use stricly non-ethanol 93 in it, and it does wonders. I can drive to Portland (150 miles up over a mountain and back down) and use about a quarter tank. I forgot one night and the non-ethanol station closed and I made the drive on 91, and it used HALF A TANK and was an absolute DOG trying to go uphill. cruise control on for 60mph and it was SCREAMIN in those high rpms. I was actually concerned it was going to break, pulled over and let the little peanut rest a bit and then back to it. Took a few cycles of nonethanol to get the MPG back up, but its up to where I dont have to put gas in it but only twice a month.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio 5-Door LX
301 Posts
I went to Canada last summer and filled with non-ethanol all the time. I've never reached this mpg before or after that trip.
Here in the Cincinnati area you won't find so many gas stations that carry ethanol free gas and I'm not willing to drive for 30 minutes. That just defeats the purpose.

·
Registered
14 Forte SX Koupe,15 Soul EX,58 & 90 Rolls Royces,92 Mercedes 500SL
333 Posts
LA Foal I'm in Canada.
What brand of fuel doesn't have ethanol?

·
Registered
2012 Kia Rio 5-Door LX
301 Posts
You got me there. I looked it up on the internet and I was under the impressions that e.g. Shell carries non-ethanol.
I just went to the pure-gas.org site again and it seems that only certain stations carry it and I might have gone with those stations.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts