Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Kia Sorento
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone using E10 in their Sorento? What type of mpg are you getting? E10 is about 5 cents a gallon cheaper and I have been tossing around the idea of using it. I have less than 3,000 miles on my Sorento so I don't think there would be any negative affects on the fuel filter or other components. Just want to see if anyone has any thoughts on this fuel.

·
Banned
417 Posts
Well I for one don't like the idea of using it. There has been reports in the past of guming problems caused from using that type of fuel. Unless it will really save someone a large amount and even with our Goverment picking up a lot of the cost of using the corn for fuel it's still not cheap. Anyway that how I feel about E-10 fuel. ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Generally speaking, ethanol has a lower energy content than gasoline and, from what I've read, does result in slightly lower mileage. I'd stick to pure gasoline given the choice.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Soul Base, 2014 Kia Sportage LX + Pop Package
395 Posts
Yes, but Ethanol sometimes has a 25-30% cost savings over gasoline. I'm interested to hear if anyone else has tried using E10 or anything higher in their sorento.

Sorry for digging up an old post. Figured it was better than posting all over again asking about Ethanol mixes.

·
Banned
417 Posts
Myself I really don't like using the stuff but they plan on adding some to all fuels in USA I have read. So I keep buying some good injector cleaner and hoping this will help keep the junk corn stuff from guming everything in my Sorentos fuel system up. :beer: It's about all I can think of doing at the present. Today April 20th 2006 87 Oct. is selling for $2.70 a Gal in Oklashoma.

·
Registered
2002 Kia Magentis
7 Posts
please don't cry about the gas prices in USA...
In Europe we pay more than 1.15 Euro a litre (more than 4.7 $ a gal)...
I just hate all oil companies... :amen:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Originally posted by riverider@Apr 20 2006, 02:22 PM
Myself I really don't like using the stuff but they plan on adding some to all fuels in USA I have read. So I keep buying some good injector cleaner and hoping this will help keep the junk corn stuff from guming everything in my Sorentos fuel system up. :beer: It's about all I can think of doing at the present. Today April 20th 2006 87 Oct. is selling for $2.70 a Gal in Oklashoma.
During the last scare (actual shortage in product) in the 70's the USA went ga-ga for grain alcohol gas........ Every station in the Midwest sold it. After a couple of years I noticed the pumps were labeled indicating that the fuel was 10% ethanol. I just burned it in anything I had (car, lawn tractor, etc). Never had a problem, of course fuel systems were much more simple back in the olden days :p . After a few years the 10% stuff just disappeared as the cost of a bbl of oil dropped to about $10 and put all the drillers and exploration operations out of business. All the Detroit folks that had left Michigan for Texas in the early 70's because of low car sales, pulled up stakes and moved back to Michigan 'cause Detroit was selling big iron like crazy into the cheap gasoline market!

Just hang on, because 'what goes round, comes round'.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
E85 is available here in Europe, and 2 makers have cars specifically designed to run on it.
SAAB and Ford.
The SAAB actually makes an extra 35bhp purely because it's mapped to run on E85... E100 is on the horizon.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Soul Base, 2014 Kia Sportage LX + Pop Package
395 Posts
Well, I had totally forgotten that up here in Colorado they add Ethanol to the fuel (not sure of the concentration) between Nov and Feb to help the oxygenation of the fuel. So we already run with a small mixture - that might also explain why we have gas prices a little lower than some of the highest in the nation. Just put $20 in my truck tonight before coming home - mid grade was $2.89 at the pump (Shell).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts