Kia Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Rio LX 2012 Soul+ 2.o
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Assuming it is ESC and not traction control that I can toggle on/off in my Rio I have a question . . . .

Has anybody played around with the results of turning it off? I have not. I am honestly scared of screwing something up.

Anyone have any knowledge or experience to share?

Additionally, What is the deal with the GDI badge (red letters on silver)? My car does not have one, but I have seen a couple Rio5'sout and about with them. Are these people all ordering them from Korea?

Thx

·
Registered
2013 Rio SX Hatchback
417 Posts
The GDI badge should have been installed on the car at the factory (unless all badges are put on at the dealer, but I doubt it). So if yours doesn't have one get your dealer to put one on at no charge. They have no problem putting their dealer badges on, they should have no problem putting on something that should have been on there in the first place.

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,235 Posts
Nobody has dared to press that ESC button yet where the rio appears to be sliding . . slipery when wet etc?
ESC is supposed to help prevent sliding. I haven't experienced the Rio version, but I know that ESC can be damn annoying an a RWD car when you are expecting it to wag the tail a little, and the "ESC fun police" applies a little braking to bring you into line. You won't do any harm by turning it off; just be careful when you do.

·
Registered
'12 Kia Rio LX. '11 Toyota Tacoma, '07 Honda S2000, '11 Husaberg FS570, KTM 990 Adventure
267 Posts
i turn off the traction control every time i get in the car. it flat tried to kill me the first day i had the car, so i turn it off every time i drive it. i drove harder then most, and the front tires edges are nearly gone after the 8700 miles i have put on the car... :)

·
Registered
2012 Rio 5 & 2009 Rav4 Sport V6
104 Posts
I noticed the original batches of LX and LX+ do not have GDI batches. Mine doesn't, but newer ones do have it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
b, can you share how it almost killed you?

cwc, I know it may be covered elsewhere, but LX/LX+? is that by country?

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,235 Posts
ESC is not deadly, but if you were attempting some sort of "controlled" slide, the ESC might have other ideas and steer you in the wrong direction.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased a new 2012 Rio. Due to a misunderstanding with the Salesman we found out we did not have cruise control. The dealer recommended an aftermarket company to install it, which we did. After it was installed the ESC light would come on and stay on after the vehicle was ran for a few minutes. After many trips to our home by the aftermarket supplier and several trips to the dealer we are being told by Kia that the cruise control install caused the problem and the cruise comapany is saying no it didn't. The cruise control is now removed, the light stays on and the dealer says it isn't a warranty issue and want $5,000!!! To replace the wiring harness, the cruise control guy claims it is a known issue with Rio's.

Any input from you folks? I am thinking of going to the California Buerau of Auto Repairs, it obviously isn't my problem.

Fred

·
Registered
former owner of a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
8,523 Posts
have you tried disconnected and reconnecting the battery to see if it resets?

If it was a known issue why would they install it, and also why would the dealer recommend it be installed with this aftermarket company if it was a known problem.

·
Registered
12 RIO 5 SX, 07 VW Passat 2.0L turbo 1952 Siata Diana
168 Posts
Traction Control

Assuming it is ESC and not traction control that I can toggle on/off in my Rio I have a question . . . .

Has anybody played around with the results of turning it off? I have not. I am honestly scared of screwing something up.

Anyone have any knowledge or experience to share?

Additionally, What is the deal with the GDI badge (red letters on silver)? My car does not have one, but I have seen a couple Rio5'sout and about with them. Are these people all ordering them from Korea?

Thx
All Rio models are made in S. Korea. For everyday driving Traction Control is an almost invisible aid. It is especially good in snow. If you are experienced enough to drive a stick shift on the edge, and enjoy drifting, Traction Control is and interference.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Does it change the fact that the car is 1 wheel drive? Or does it just help decide which wheel is the one under power?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts