Kia Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Honda Pilot Touring; 2003 Jeep Wrangler
46 Posts
I just called to set-up my appointment with Moritz Kia-Hurst and the service guy said "oh yeah" as soon as I mentioned the push-button start issue.

Also going to have them take care of the TSB-ENG-104 for the waste gate valve at the same time; said it should only take 1 hr. to do both items.

·
Registered
2009 Borrego EX V6; 2005 Chevrolet Equinox LT
1 Posts
2009 Kia Borrego with DBC/ESC Light On at Startup

I am having the same issue with my 2009 Kia Borrego. The DBC/ESC light will come on when I start the car, but if I turn it off and right back on the lights stay off. This has happened a handful of times since I bought it with 76k miles on it about 3 months ago.

It is currently at the dealership for an oil change and this issue... After I described the issue to the service person she explained the "could get stuck and not let you out of park" issue, then told me the replacement part will cost around $200. I will update with the exact repair when I know what they did to fix it.

BTW - glad I found this forum! :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2013 sportage ex bought in jan 2013 has had the same problem and different parts have been replaced over 11 times! Since April 2013!!! Help kia has NO idea and they are putting miles on my car and pissing me off!! It is now oct 2013!!!

·
Registered
2011 Sportage EX AWD
4 Posts
I am having the same lights illuminate on my 2011. I have 71,000 miles and not sure if it will be covered under warranty without a TSB. Anyone know if a TSB was released?

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
979 Posts
Mine recently started to act up:

http://www.kia-forums.com/3g-2011-2016-sportage/77681-downhill-assist-traction-control-light-turning-3.html#post1487449

There is a TSB about the brake switch, but I've already had mine changed and my brake lights work as well as being able to get the transmission out of park. I took it the dealership and all they pulled error codes and they blamed it on the aftermarket parts that I had installed (OEM heated steering wheel, HID headlights). They suggested that I have the parts removed before they even check out problem.

·
Registered
2011 Sportage EX AWD
4 Posts
Mine recently started to act up:

http://www.kia-forums.com/3g-2011-2016-sportage/77681-downhill-assist-traction-control-light-turning-3.html#post1487449

There is a TSB about the brake switch, but I've already had mine changed and my brake lights work as well as being able to get the transmission out of park. I took it the dealership and all they pulled error codes and they blamed it on the aftermarket parts that I had installed (OEM heated steering wheel, HID headlights). They suggested that I have the parts removed before they even check out problem.
I called my dealer and they said since it was replaced once, the second time I need to pay out of pocket, $90 for diagnostic too. I'm going to wait and see if it happens again. I took a look at the switch, under the dash, and it seems like a DIY fix. The switch is $20.

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
979 Posts
I called my dealer and they said since it was replaced once, the second time I need to pay out of pocket, $90 for diagnostic too. I'm going to wait and see if it happens again. I took a look at the switch, under the dash, and it seems like a DIY fix. The switch is $20.
There is a video on YouTube showing what is involved in swapping out the brake switch on another Kia model (Optima?), it might help. Mine was changed in 2011 or 2012 by the dealership.

I think I may have solved my problem. I noticed that the DBC and ESC warning lights would only activate when my low beam headlights were activated (AUTO). After some initial testing, it looks like the problem stems from a failing aftermarket HID ballast, one or both. After replacing both ballasts with CAN-BUS compatible HID ballasts, so far no more warning lights.

Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
2017 AWD Sportage SX - Black / Beige
1,993 Posts
one of the reason dealers will insist on removal of non-standard parts. They don't want to trouble shoot somebody elses problem.

Cars are incredibly complicated these days and components you might think quite disparate can affect one anther in sometimes odd ways.

·
Registered
2011 Sportage SX
979 Posts
OK, well this is weird, but I think I may have solved my recent problems with the various dashboard warning lights that have mysteriously been popping up. It looks like by simply disconnecting the negative cable from the battery for about 15 minutes did the trick. It's been a few days since I've done this and I no longer get a DBC or ESC malfunction warning.

I had to change my original battery back in the spring - I came back from a five week vacation and my battery/vehicle was DOA on my driveway - could this have had something to do with it?

·
Registered
Platinum 2012
1 Posts
ESC and DBC permanently on, and sometimes will not start (brake stiff). Brake switch replaced and still problematic. Countless times in service that I eventually gave up and got rid of it. Will never ever buy a Kia or any Korean car. It's a Kia-yuck.
Don't buy.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts