Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Rio5 SX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yup, the subject line is pretty descriptive. I'm getting the Check Engine and the ABS warning lights and the ABS system is not activating (which is amusing in Edmonton in January. Good thing I know how to drive!).

The lights came on shortly after getting a flat repaired. It didn't come on when I was driving on the doughnut, but did shortly after the shop repaired the tire and put the wheel back on. Could they have damaged the sensor? According to kiatechinfo.com, it's the front right sensor, but the front left wheel was repaired. I have seen a similar thread for other vehicles where the error code says front right, but someone on the forum insists it's rear left (07 sportage, IIRC).

My speedo still works, but I assume that's a function of the transmission speed sensor, yes?

Anyway, all of my research seems to point to a wheel speed sensor... am I on the right track?

[edit] I used a bluetooth OBD-II scanner and Torque for Android to get the error number.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Rio5
44 Posts
Probably a damaged sensor that now needs to be repaired/replaced? I'd go back to the shop you got the tire repaired at and get them to look at it. Otherwise I'd go to the Kia dealership and get them to take a look.

·
Registered
2008 Rio5 SX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Went back to the tire shop, they said there's no way they damaged it. Kia says it's a $250 sensor, which is kind of bollocks...it's a bleeding magnet on the end of a nut with a wire out the top. i think he quoted me the ABS control unit.

i'm going to tough it out the rest of the winter and go to an auto wrecker in the spring to get the part.

·
Registered
2006 Kia Rio5
44 Posts
Did you take a look at the Front Wheel Speed Sensor page on kiatechinfo? Might be worth taking a look at your vehicle to see if the connector just came loose when they changed the wheel.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts