Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 2005 Kia Spec5 with 185,000 miles. The check engine light came on and my diagnostic code reader gave me the following error:

P2626 0/2S 1/1 Pumping current trim ckt open

I cleared the error and it came back on in less then 3 miles drive-time. Obviously, it's out of warranty and I'm on a strict budget.

I'm headed out now to pull the engine cover off to look at the plugs and wires - I'm hopeful it's just a short.

Any suggestions would be really helpful.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,928 Posts
p2626 has to do with the O2 sensors being out of "spec".
With 185k miles on the car I'd bet the senor is just plain worn out.
Also check for water in the spark plug holes...I've heard that can cause that error.
Your catalytic converters are probably on their way out also with that many miles.

Rockauto.com has one for 45.79
BOSCH Part # 13356 Click for more information about this part OE Type - Exact Fit; Heated; Wires: 4; Length (in): 11.4
Downstream (Only 1 Remaining)
Dave

·
Super Moderator
6,928 Posts
Sure...
You will need an O2 Socket available at Harbor Freight.
Item #97177 $6.99
and a standard 3/8" socket set...
If you open the hood and look right in the center of the engine you will see a bright (shinny) aluminum cover over the exhaust manifold and in the center of that cover you will see what looks like a spark plug with a 1/4" wire attached to it...
That IS the first O2 sensor... Remove the bad one with the above socket and unplug it from the engine wiring harness...install the new/used one and reconnect the plug...
If you are really hurting for $$$ visit a local bone/salvage yard and get one there...
Try to get one with under 50k miles on the donor car.

Here's where to get FREE information on your KIA Spectra...Follow what software I suggest for easier access...
kiatechinfo.com
Here's a cut-n-paste... on how to access this site...

You really don't need to "buy" a manual...Just go to "kiatechinfo.com",
register, and all the info you need is right there.
You need to be running
Microsoft Windows (XP,Vista,7) and
Microsoft IE (Internet Explorer 8 or higher).
You also need to download and install a free "plug-in or app" called Adobe SVG
(Scaled Vector Graphics). There is a link to this software on their site.
and a valid email address to send the password to..

This is the only known good way to get onto this site..

OLD Info....
The site doesn't like...
Mac or Linux Operating Systems
Firefox/Chrome/Safari Browers

The web site now works with just about any OS or browser (updated 08/29/2014)

There is a moderate learning curve as things aren't always where you would think they should be...but a little looking gets everything you could possibly need.

We are here also to help and want to answer any questions you have.
Dave

·
Super Moderator
6,928 Posts
We are here to help each other...
KIAs got a bad rap for being a "throw away" car and not reliable...
We (the members of this forum and KIA) have stuck together and proved them wrong.

Remember I'm going on what you (my eyes and ears) have said...You may have "other" problems but with the "Pumping current trim ckt open" code I'm fairly sure that should do the job... The trick word is "open" and not incorrect or out of spec.

I may be wrong but your sig has "Shelly" in it...Sounds like you are a young woman on a tight budget. Gonna try it yourself or do you have a friend to help? I can be more exact if you need me to be..

I/We can give you some other IMPORTANT suggestions on how to keep your Spec running strong... The timing/cam belt replacement is one of them.
It should be replaced EVERY 60k miles as "if" it looses a few teeth or breaks...it WILL trash your engine... You should be replacing your third belt NOW.
Dave

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Dave,
So I have the part and the tools but I can't seem to find the installation information on kiatechinfo.com. Could you tell me the steps to finding the info?

·
Registered
06 Sedona LX, 06 Sedona EX, 14 Forte EX, 11 Sportage EX, 11 Forte 5-door SX, 15 K900 VIP+
1,143 Posts
This is what you are looking for. It should be as simple as unplugging it, removing it, replacing it, and plugging it back in.

·
Super Moderator
6,928 Posts
Gregs got the info right...You just need a 3/8" wrench/breaker bar and an O2 sensor socket. The plug is an inline one and only requires pressing a small tab in to release it. The plug is located aprox 1 foot from the sensor (down and to the right)..
Pretty simple..
Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts