Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 Sedona EX base that I bought new...since day one the cruise control is very erratic...at highway speeds the speed will vary as much as 7 mph on slightly hilly terrain, the dealer says that there is nothing they can do the correct this..this is extremely annoying and have considered trading

·
Registered
107 Posts
At what speeds is this happening? Try turning off the "ECO" mode, it may help the transmission kickdown sooner when the cruise control senses the speed drop/easier modulation from the throttle mapping.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I notice it at speeds above 30 mph on slight inclines...gets worse at higher speeds but oddly enough it does better on steeper inclines as it is quicker to downshift and I never use eco mode

·
Registered
198 Posts
Not sure if mine has a unique quirk or if it might apply here, but I noticed that if I just leave it in the drive mode it was in when I shut it off, the performance and mpg seem a little weak (mpg is definitely 1-2mpg less). If I cycle through the 3 modes: Eco, Comfort, Normal, back to where it was, then it seems to pep up a bit and mpg rises again. It's a nuisance, but it does seem to make a difference.

·
Registered
107 Posts
From the Owner's manual:
The cruise control system allows you to program the vehicle to maintain a constant speed without depressing the accelerator pedal.

This system is designed to function above approximately 40 km/h (25 mph).

If the cruise control is left on, (CRUISE indicator light in the instrument cluster illuminated) the cruise control can be switched on accidentally. Keep the cruise control system off (CRUISE indicator light OFF) when the cruise control is not in use, to avoid inadvertently setting a speed.

Use the cruise control system only when traveling on open highways in good weather.

Do not use the cruise control when driving in heavy or varying traffic, or on slippery (rainy, icy or snow-covered) or winding roads or over 6% up-hill or down-hill roads.

✽ NOTICE

During normal cruise control operation, when the SET switch is activated or reactivated after applying the brakes, the cruise control will energize after approximately 3 seconds. This delay is normal.
To activate cruise control, depress the brake pedal at least once after turning the ignition switch to the ON position or starting the engine. This is to check if the brake switch which is important part to cancel cruise control is in normal condition.
WARNING - Misuse of Cruise Control

Do not use cruise control if the traffic situation does not allow you to drive safely at a constant speed and with sufficient distance to the vehicle in front.

So, 30mph may be right at the lower limit of reliably using the cruise control, and don't use it when there's any sort of change in elevation/turns. Basically just straight highway cruising...

·
Registered
52 Posts
So, 30mph may be right at the lower limit of reliably using the cruise control, and don't use it when there's any sort of change in elevation/turns. Basically just straight highway cruising...
I think it is just overall a so-so engineering part of the car. I set it once at 5 over the speed limit, came down a hill where a cop was waiting, and by the time I'm down the crest I was a little over 10 over the limit and actually got pulled over! Thankfully I just got a warning.

Driving the same piece of road in my wife's X3 with cruise on, the speed differential on a hill never went beyond 2-3 mph. The BMW seems to be actively managing the speed at all times keeping it pretty stable. On a down hill, the Sedona essentially almost coasts at first, then will give an abrupt downshift once you're like 5 mph over to try to slow the van down. Not sure how the BMW system works, but it manages to keep the speed much more stable without even downshifting. Maybe it is making a lot more throttle adjustments and even using the brakes a little bit on a downhill stretch.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I think it is just overall a so-so engineering part of the car. I set it once at 5 over the speed limit, came down a hill where a cop was waiting, and by the time I'm down the crest I was a little over 10 over the limit and actually got pulled over! Thankfully I just got a warning.

Driving the same piece of road in my wife's X3 with cruise on, the speed differential on a hill never went beyond 2-3 mph. The BMW seems to be actively managing the speed at all times keeping it pretty stable. On a down hill, the Sedona essentially almost coasts at first, then will give an abrupt downshift once you're like 5 mph over to try to slow the van down. Not sure how the BMW system works, but it manages to keep the speed much more stable without even downshifting. Maybe it is making a lot more throttle adjustments and even using the brakes a little bit on a downhill stretch.
Agreed, I think the cruise on these vans are basic at best. Both of my Subaru's have a little more "active" control of cruise control, albeit both are manual transmission. Some systems rely more heavily on engine braking depending on how the cruise control system maintain's throttle position (older systems use vacuum operated, nowadays with most cars being throttle-by-wire, this is less common), and the various sensors the system uses to detect speed and obstacles - more the latter if you have one of the auto-braking/collision warning systems in your car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well my “cruise control” problem went awayI traded it in the end of February for a new left over 2018 SLX which has “adaptive cruise control”.... much better system than my 16’ had.
I don’t know if all 16’ EX’s were like mine or not but I’m much more satisfied with my new cruise control. Now if I can solve a problem with the “blind spot detection” in my new SXL I’ll be a real happy man.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Adaptive Cruise control was one of the main reasons I went with Sedona in 2015 and it has worked great since I've owned the van. The only downside is when I drive our other car and use the cruise control I have to remember that it's not adaptive :}

·
Registered
129 Posts
I don't have problem with the regular cruise control. I only use CC on open road with little traffic around me and always at highway speed. I cannot imagine why I would want to CC at 30mph.

If the terrain is hilly enough to make the engine downshift and surge in RPM every time it goes uphill, I switch off the CC. It's more efficient and easier on the engine/tranny to increase speed going downhill to build momentum, then let the speed bleed down on uphill... within reason, of course.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Adaptive Cruise control was one of the main reasons I went with Sedona in 2015 and it has worked great since I've owned the van. The only downside is when I drive our other car and use the cruise control I have to remember that it's not adaptive :}
The only thing I don't like about the Sedona adaptive cruise is that the distance selections are way too long. Even on the shortest setting, I have to start moving to the next lane several hundred feet before reaching the vehicle in front, or it starts slowing down. Then I mash the gas pedal in frustration to get back up to speed.

I've had to learn to change lanes about 1/4 mile away (okay, maybe 1/8 mile, but it feels way, way too long)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The problem I have with the blind spot detector is that it worked good for the first month or so of ownership but then I keep getting a warning message that states that the “BSD has been cancelled”. This message remains on the screen, preventing me to view my digital speedometer. Sometimes it will reset upon shutting the van off and restarting. The dealer has looked at it twice now, once while it was displaying the BSD Cancelled warning, they’re telling me that no codes are shown. They want to keep my van and call Kia in regard to this malfunction

·
Registered
198 Posts
On the blind spot detector: you might have a bad sensor, or maybe some dirt or grime is on one.

You can cancel that "BSD has been cancelled" screen by pressing the selector to change dash screens. It'll come back though. I have it when I pull my utility trailer - it comes on every time I pull it. When I cancel the message, it usually comes back shortly afterward. I wish they had a way to just disable it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
7 Participants
Kia-Driver
Kia Forum
Kia Forums is a community dedicated to all Kia models. Come discuss the Kia Sorento, Rio, Sportage, Soul and more!
Full Forum Listing