Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have solved your locked up EPB brake via DIY, Kia dealer or independent shop, please share with all of us the process done, and cost, so we can understand what different ways it took to solve this problem. Big thank you from all that find this thread if you can add any help here. (see below for help with getting your Sorento to at least be driveable with this EPB condition)*

If you had a dealer (or other shop) fix it, please say what process they went though, the parts they replaced that did not fix it, and the parts or other changes made that did fix it. I have spent many days researching and trying DIY fixes. Currently, I am able to drive the Sorento because I disconnected the EPB (Bowden) cables at the rear wheels. The EPB light is still on, an independent shop read an error code C220201 Latching Cable. He tried twice, but was unable to delete the error. With EPB error active (and cables disconnected to drive), the cruise control does not work (Check smart cruise control message appears). Over two days of driving (maybe 10-15 engine of on's testing and going to the shop for code reads), the fast LOUD continuous beeping while driving over ≈ 3 MPH, the beeping finally stopped, thank God.

*At this thread '2016 Sorento SX electronic parking brake won't release' (posts #14-20), you can see the process(es) I have done to get my 2017 Sorento to be moveable and driveable after the EPB (Emergency Parking Brake) had locked up (unchangeable with 'ABS fuse removal process'). Including pictures of how I manually disconnected the EPB brake cable at the rear wheels.

This issue is extremely frustrating. I had read people being quoted $3,500 - $4,000 by Kia Dealers to fix the problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,04 Neon,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
2,410 Posts
Sorry but I can't offer a fix for you..but some observations of your previous postings and what NOT said about things you tried.
All it takes is for a door/hood/hatch/whatever sensor to not read shut and it will prevent the parking brake from releasing. Did you check out these switches? You posted they are always shut, but at this point I'd start diagnosing from there, as obviously the system engages the EPB and something is not telling them to release.
From looking at an IPB of the system, there could also be a fault inside the "box" the cables to each rear wheel originates.
In advance to your hopeful reply...NO I don't have such a vehicle with EPB...just decades of working on cars and having an idea of how an EPB may operate and possible fail points.
Good Luck to you as you try and avoid a DEALER VISIT, I hope you DO find the cause and can DIY. :)

EDIT: One last thought...Do you have a trailer hitch wiring installed? many reports of adapter box for trailer wiring going bad and back feeding causing problems on other kia models(not sure if EPB equipped). You may want to consider unplugging that from the lighting harness as a try for a solution if yours is so equipped.

Reactions: Lou O.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MIA Kia 09,
Excellent trouble-shooting ideas that I had not thought to do! I too had wondered what might be sending a signal that activates the EPB lock-up condition, but did not think to test the switches the 'sources' that can trigger the EPB lock condition. Thank you!

With the ignition 'on', one by one I opened/closed the four doors, rear hatch, hood (the instrument cluster display showed the respective 'red open' condition for each). Seat belt icon unlit/lit properly for connected/disconnected.
Would you assume this meant the switches are operating in a way that would for sure tell the Sorento control module(s) that those items are not triggering the EPB error? The label 'Latching Cable' attached to the error code C220201 that the (non Kia) shop was unable to delete, seems strange if theoretically all door/hood latches present as working per the instr. cluster display.

Those are the only items the display message (and Manual, I believe) says affects the EPB. Anyone know if there are other 'normal' safety conditions to trigger this EPB light?

A malfunctioning EPB Actuator $548 (or maybe the BCM (Body Control Module) $360 ) would of course. Watching Youtubes on a Renualt and BMW X5's 'similar type' EPB Actuator tear down, inspection and repair, some found a bad relay to be common. Some found a bad 'Force Sensor'. Others found nothing wrong with their EPB Actuator that caused the EPB lock-up issue. I was 'hoping' to be lucky that I might fall into later 'not the Actuator'* camp and look for other triggers.

*Sorento EPB actuator is very hard to access/remove. It is not clear how the Bowden cables disconnect, as they are different than the BMW and Renault's units. No idea if Kia has a force sensor. Unfortunately, being less common than the BMW X5, I found no videos or links for tear down/ inspection (or even removal/ replacement) of the EPB actuator for the Kia Sorento (or any Kia). :eek:/

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good Luck to you as you try and avoid a DEALER VISIT, I hope you DO find the cause and can DIY. :)

EDIT: One last thought...Do you have a trailer hitch wiring installed? many reports of adapter box for trailer wiring going bad and back feeding causing problems on other kia models(not sure if EPB equipped). You may want to consider unplugging that from the lighting harness as a try for a solution if yours is so equipped.
By "adapter box for trailer wiring" are you referring to some factory installed 'trailer wiring box' going bad or peoples' aftermarket trailer wiring adaptions becoming problematic? I Googled and did dot find any references to Kia's with feedback from trailer wiring. If you have anything specific, I'd love to read up on it. Thanks

I do have the factory hitch that came with an OEM 4 pin trailer light connector. Last summer I had added a 7-pin connector which connects to the OEM 4-pin as well as running heavy gauge wire from the battery (2) pos. thru (2) 30 amp breakers and a ground line. Today, I just 1) disconnected the four prong adapter going to my aftermarket 7-pin. NO change. 2) then I disconnected the three self installed wires from the battery. Also no change to the EPB issue.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I forgot to mention (in this thread) that BOTH of my episodes with the EPB locking and remaining locked happened when the vehicle was parked with the back end first up my 7º sloped driveway. I don't know if the brake fluid in that position showing way below the Max line played a part or not.

Episode 1: After many 'ABS fuse removal process' attempts tried. I finally pressed the gas pedal enough to force the car to overpower the EPB, and slowly pulled it down the driveway and out to the (level) street, just to get it out of the way. A day or two later I tried to start it and go (w/o the 'pull fuse process'). It started and moved forward as normal. I drove it several times w/o issue I might have parked on the street or front up in the driveway, I don't recall.

Episode 2: The next time I parked it (rear end higher) in the driveway, the EPB was locked again. I had seen an obscure reference to 'check brake fluid' in my manual, so I did. At that 7º angle, it showed well below Max. I could not really see the min mark to see if it was below that. I added fluid to Max. No change. I had my wife hold down the parking brake switch numerous times, so I could locate the pulsating sound. After about 10+ mins. of making the sounds, I found what turns out to be the EPB Actuator hidden way above the rear differential. Again, I force drove it to the level street, assuming that would again solve my issue. This time it did not.

·
Registered
09 kia spectra ex,04 Neon,04 Chry. T&C, 08 Pontiac G6 gt
2,410 Posts
By "adapter box for trailer wiring" are you referring to some factory installed 'trailer wiring box' going bad or peoples' aftermarket trailer wiring adaptions becoming problematic? I Googled and did dot find any references to Kia's with feedback from trailer wiring. If you have anything specific, I'd love to read up on it. Thanks

I do have the factory hitch that came with an OEM 4 pin trailer light connector. Last summer I had added a 7-pin connector which connects to the OEM 4-pin as well as running heavy gauge wire from the battery (2) pos. thru (2) 30 amp breakers and a ground line. Today, I just 1) disconnected the four prong adapter going to my aftermarket 7-pin. NO change. 2) then I disconnected the three self installed wires from the battery. Also no change to the EPB issue.
My computer skills are not good enough to make links to this subject found on this forum. Perhaps another member with such skills and knowing of what I'm referring to can post up. But yes there is a factory plug in box used for factory trailer wiring and on some late model kia's was known to go bad and cause problems. You have also added wiring that might be causing a backfeed in wiring thus somehow affecting signals for the EPB. I say might because I can only guess not having or seeing what is going on. IF I recall these threads said that this adapter box can be found in the LR panel of hatch area or possibly underneath the car in that area.

Also might there be an inside the car fuse panel that may have an EPB associated fuse to check?
Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My computer skills are not good enough to make links to this subject found on this forum. Perhaps another member with such skills and knowing of what I'm referring to can post up.
If you have found that forum page today, you could just copy, then paste the name of the thread, then I can search for it. Or you could also click in the address bar (which highlights the entire web address), then 'copy it' (by holding 'Control' and 'C' keys- Windows) ['Command' and 'C' key on a Mac]...
Then, in the body of a message here: click in the message window, then 'paste it' (by holding 'Control' and 'P' keys- Windows) ['Command' and 'P' key on a Mac]... Voila, the name or web address is in your message here on the forum. :eek:) Or, old schools w/o copy & paste, just type the name of the related thread about the factory trailer wiring box. :eek:)

But yes there is a factory plug in box used for factory trailer wiring and on some late model kia's was known to go bad and cause problems. You have also added wiring that might be causing a backfeed in wiring thus somehow affecting signals for the EPB. I say might because I can only guess not having or seeing what is going on. IF I recall these threads said that this adapter box can be found in the LR panel of hatch area or possibly underneath the car in that area.

Also might there be an inside the car fuse panel that may have an EPB associated fuse to check?
I already did disconnect my aftermarket wiring and that did not fix the issue. The factory trailer box is not underneath the driver's side fender beneath the black plastic cover there. Just three Molex type connectors. Inside the hatch, there are two small access panels with no room to reach behind looking for 'the box'. I'd need to pull out the large interior side panel to see more. There is no visible hardware, so before I try just prying pulling it out, it would be good to know how to do this w/o breaking it. ;o) ... and great to find out where this box is located on the 2017 Sorento.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LOUD, continuous (while driving) fast beeping EPB Warning: any ideas on how to disable that? The beeping, chimes, etc. come thru the sound system.

This beeping did stop on its own a few days ago - but after doing the fuse removal process again to try to eliminate the EPB light maybe I reset that beeper.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I read that Kia's car computers can take 20-40 miles of driving to erase error codes/ engine lights after an issue has been fixed. I assumed this driving a few days ago was what stopped my EPB 'loud' continous beeping (above 3 MPH). But since the beeping returned two days ago, we have driven the car 75 miles w/ many engine off/restarts too (in case that is a factor in an ECU to reset. Unfortunately the beeping has not stopped. Still looking for ideas for this EPB issue.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Possibly. I will look into this after our 4th of July camping trip that we are scrambling to fix the trailer for... as well as get the Sorento to drive w/o full time beeping. Good news on that front. I found two different ways to stop the APB beeping.
1) remove and drive with the (2) EPB fuses removed from the engine compartment panel. I could kick myself for not seeing those looooong ago. I thought I had looked for EPB fuses (obviously not :eek:/ ). I had been myopically focused on the successful (for some I guess), removal /replacement of the two ABS fuses others had reported having success with. Thanks for the lead to follow up on after vacation. My wife and I are just so relieved tonight that we can use the Sorento to pull our trailer camping. We would have hated to have to go with our Prius and tent camp after investing many weeks working on refurbing out '99 Starcraft tent trailer. So, now I can go back to trailer prep for our trip 7/2. That is a load off. I can deal w/o having an emergency brake and cruise control for this trip. :eek:)

Thanks again for the research on the AEB. This Autonomous stopping is different than EPB... but hey, may be related. I WILL check after vacation.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh, I forgot method #2, which is removing the 'Module 2' fuse in the drivers side dash. I prefer 3! because the Module controls a lot of other things.
Crash Pad Switch, 4WD ECM, Lane Departure Warning Module, Console Switch, Rear Parking Assist Sensor LH/RH, Rear Parking Assist Buzzer, Rear Parking Assist Sensor LH/RH (Center), Blind Spot Detection Radar LH/RH, Electric Parking Brake Module

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
But yes there is a factory plug in box used for factory trailer wiring and on some late model kia's was known to go bad and cause problems. You have also added wiring that might be causing a backfeed in wiring thus somehow affecting signals for the EPB. I say might because I can only guess not having or seeing what is going on. IF I recall these threads said that this adapter box can be found in the LR panel of hatch area or possibly underneath the car in that area.

Out of frustration, I pried away the top edge of the rear inside driver side luggage area panel. There were only two modules there. The TPMS module and ECU 4WD Module. I have yet to find a reference to a factory trailer tail light converter box in parts lists or diagrams. I agree there must be one because this Sorento did come with the towing package because it had the two dummy plugged connectors in that rear behind driver's tire area under the car (but no modules there). For the Sorento, or any vehicle not pre-wired for trailer lights, you have to use the aftemarket converter to that also keeps back-feed shorts from trailer away from the vehicle. Maybe this function is incorporated into some other module or ECU??

On the EPB fuse... I was sure I had looked for EPB fuses. BUt I guess I was so focused on the ABS fuses that many talked about as resetting their errors. YES THERE ARE TWO. OYE! So now I have both removed (Engine bay fuse block). That stopped the constant EPB beeping, so we can go on our camping trip now!

Also, previously, I had only disconnected the end of my after market trailer harness from my 7 way plug. Being back under that rear fender again, I realized I could disconnect the aftermarket harness from the two factory plugs there. But that did not change anything, darn. ....... the journey will continue, but after vacation. :eek:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts