Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
Wife- 2013 Sorento EX FWD, Me- 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kia overestimated MPG from 2011-2013

Well it looks like we will all be receiving debit cards in the mail soon...

I just checked the website but nothing has been updated yet MPG wise. I drive a Hyundai Sonata Hybrid while my wife has the Sorento so I will be getting two debit cards. Not bad but I truly hope it was not intentional. I wonder if it applies to all Sorentos or just the I4.

EPA finds Hyundai, Kia overstated gas mileage | General Headlines | Comcast

or

Hyundai, Kia misstate mileage claims | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com

·
Registered
2015 Sorento
364 Posts
So far its the only one on the list.

Kind of a relief actualy, to know nothing is wrong with the cars, but just a wrong number for MPG, mine is a little lower than shown as well, but was not to concerned. Will enjoy that card though!

·
Registered
Wife- 2013 Sorento EX FWD, Me- 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So far its the only one on the list.

Kind of a relief actualy, to know nothing is wrong with the cars, but just a wrong number for MPG, mine is a little lower than shown as well, but was not to concerned. Will enjoy that card though!
Yeah, you are right. Only the I4. Bummer since my wife has the V6. At least we still get one card though. I just finally was able to get onto that website. It is a big bogged down right now.

Kia Fuel Economy | MPG Information

·
Registered
16 Posts
Looks like the GDI 2.4 only. 2wd drops to 21-30, while the regular 2.4, which I have, isn't affected, 2wd 21-29. How the heck can the GDI only be 1 mpg better hwy? I think more cars/engines will be affected eventually. We average 24 hwy at 65 mph and 20 overall. It is the only vehicle I have ever owned (~15) that does not get somewhere near the middle of the city/hwy 'epa' ratings.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I looked and only see one 2011 Kia listed, the Optima HEV. I don't get it..I have a 2011 Sorento V6 EX 4WD and have never gotten close to stated gas mileage...very disappointing that they didn't include them

·
Registered
Corolla 1996, Corolla 2009, Soon Sorento
36 Posts
2012:

2013:

check back on the Canadian site on Nov 6th to access their reimbursement calculator Kia Fuel Economy Ratings | MPG Information

The new numbers are still far from my real life fuel economy:

The best I ever had was 8.8 L/100km all highway (no speeding, no AC) but I typically get 9.0 all highway

In the city I have 13.5 to 16 L/100km

I purchase my 2013 LX 2.4 GDI in August 2012 and I just check https://kiampginfo.com/ and it says my vehicle does not qualify! wtf!

·
Registered
2011 Bright Silver & 2016 Kia Sorento I4
130 Posts
I have a 4cyl auto Sorento 2011 early model that gets 15 mpg in winter and up to 22 in summer city-hwy driving. Kia says I am not included in gas rebate program. What a bummer!! I have driven v-8 full sized cars and vans that did better than this.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 Sportage EX
4,507 Posts

·
Banned
2013 Sorento EX V6 AWD
707 Posts
I guess I got one of the "good ones." I'm getting 20mpg around town and 28+mpg on the highway with my 3.5L V6 AWD Sorento.

I don't know what all the bellyaching is about. 1-2mpg is less than a 10% delta from the published numbers. If you can spend $30k on a car and then can't weather a fluctuation in fuel cost (whether due to fuel price or actual fuel used), you might want to consider a cheaper vehicle or something like a Passat TDI that gets 50mpg day in and day out. This is a tempest in a teapot. Also, it's been widely publicized in various car rags that the Kia/Hyundai numbers were a bit "optimistic." That information was out there for those that cared to look. I'm not saying it's OK to fudge the numbers, but c'mon, this is small potatoes.

Best,

·
Registered
2011 Sorento EX AWD
251 Posts
I looked and only see one 2011 Kia listed, the Optima HEV. I don't get it..I have a 2011 Sorento V6 EX 4WD and have never gotten close to stated gas mileage...very disappointing that they didn't include them
They already downgraded the 2011's once. When I bought mine the sticker said 19/25, think they got revised down to 18/23 not long after I bought it.

Those of us who bought with the 19/25 rating certainly have room to complain and I'm shocked it's not included on the list.

I also have a 2013 soul which got downgraded by 6 MPG! Now the silly thing is only rated at 23/28, which is atrocious for a 2,800 pound vehicle with a 2.0L engine. Fortunately I've been getting 34MPH out of it so I'm not as concerned with it as I am with the lousy mileage from the Sorento!

·
Registered
2013 Silver Sorento EX V6AWD, 2007 Toyota Highlander V6LtdAWD, 2004 Toyota 4-Runner V6Ltd2x4
80 Posts
Hi Sauron,

I feel the same way. When I bought the Sorento I needed an SUV to carry things like our two big dogs and occasionally four big dogs. I figured there is no way I was getting the advertised MPG, especially with a 276HP V6 and a 3,800 curb weight car/truck.

What I got was a good car/truck that does what I need it to do...maybe some day I'll buy something smaller...

·
Registered
Corolla 1996, Corolla 2009, Soon Sorento
36 Posts
... I don't know what all the bellyaching is about. 1-2mpg is less than a 10% delta from the published numbers. If you can spend $30k on a car and then can't weather a fluctuation in fuel cost (whether due to fuel price or actual fuel used), you might want to consider a cheaper vehicle or something like a Passat TDI that gets 50mpg day in and day out. This is a tempest in a teapot. Also, it's been widely publicized in various car rags that the Kia/Hyundai numbers were a bit "optimistic." That information was out there for those that cared to look. I'm not saying it's OK to fudge the numbers, but c'mon, this is small potatoes.

Best,
Sauron: from your previous posts, you are one of the rare people that got better real life MPG than the advertised numbers. You must have a special car or know of a special technique to drive this vehicle. Maybe you can share your secret so we can all benefit from you.

With my 2013 LX 2.4 GDI Sorento, I am still getting only 11-14 mpg driving in town and on a good day, I would only get 20-21 mpg on the highway, that is applying all the usual techniques to maximize fuel economy, meaning I don't speed, I accelerate gradually, I don't carry extra weights, I don't use AC and I anticipate traffic lights and match my speed to follow traffic to avoid reduce the stop-and-go.

The new EPA numbers vs the old numbers is a mere 3% difference. I think the real number is at least 25% difference if you look at the data on Fuelly where hundreds of people have published their results. I suspect that The EPA must have settled with KIA and Huyndai for the 3% difference and in return, KIA and Huyndai would not contest the ruling. For the average driver, the compensation is about $60 per year and Kia will add a 15% bonus on top which results in $69. Imagine the cost if they need to compensate based on the 25% difference!

I would have never bought this car if I know it would get me only 11 mpg. I am so sad every time I drive this car. At first, my dealer said it would get the advertised numbers after the break-in... which changes all the time. At first, they told me it takes 5,000 km, then 10,000 km, now it is 15,000km the last time I called.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento EX AWD
251 Posts
With my 2013 LX 2.4 GDI Sorento, I am still getting only 11-14 mpg driving in town and on a good day, I would only get 20-21 mpg on the highway, that is applying all the usual techniques to maximize fuel economy, meaning I don't speed, I accelerate gradually, I don't carry extra weights, I don't use AC and I anticipate traffic lights and match my speed to follow traffic to avoid reduce the stop-and-go.
If you're doing all that and still getting shitty mileage then there must be something wrong with the vehicle. Dragging brakes maybe?

I have seen, under very optimal highway conditions, 25MPG out of my 3.5L AWD Sorento. With a lot of city driving, it gets 18-20. While I'd like it to be better, it's not horribly out of line for a 3.5L V6.

To see 11-14 city is awful. Unless you're starting up cold, driving 1/2 mile, then stopping for 2 hours and repeating, I can't see how you can get such lousy mileage unless there's something horribly wrong.

I've owned 40+ cars in my life, and in my experience any increase in mileage after "break-in" is minimal to none. It's going to get what it gets pretty much off the bat.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento
256 Posts
they got busted lol.

thats what hyundai-kia gets for ignoring customers in korea. complaints have been raised numerous times and ignored. due to the monopoly in korea they tend to rape their own countries consumers.

north america no no they dont want to lose the market share + bad rep and tries to make up with gas rebate card. once again usa proves to have strong buying power.

on the other hand they were growing too big too fast and frankly i dont trust their new engines with all this gdi, turbo etc etc.

however i am one of the fortunate ones that gets epa rated mpg or better on the non gdi i4. as an example i am currently averaging 21 mpg 90% city driving even with all the winter additives they are putting in now up here in canada.

summer times much better mpg (around 24) and on highway average about 27 mpg driving mostly 120-140kmh (75-85mph)

mines 2011 so it wont apply to me anyway :huh:

i am nonetheless disappointed about their business practice.

·
Registered
Sorento Lx 2011 2 wd V-6
283 Posts
I am curious to know your figures :

after a fill-up what is your range indicated by the computer ?
mine shows regularly : 646 km or 401 miles -highest I got this summer
was 700 kms - 435 miles.

V-6 , 2 wd , auto , tires Nokian WR-G2 , 2 passengers , clim on ,
I drive always above the psl on highways , 70 mph - 117 kmh.
10% city .

My wife drives a 2012 2wd 4cyl-Ford Escape-6 speeds auto and get slightly better figure -
with less power , less speed , less weight.

Since we have the same computer , it gives us a good point
of comparison ....what do you think ?

1 - 20 of 67 Posts