Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Rondo EX; 2011 Kia Sedona LX
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I picked these wheels up for a great price so thought I'd do a restoration on them. I used my neighbor's sand blaster to take the wheels down to the original clear coat. Previous owners had done several very poor quality paint jobs on them with, I'd guess, BBQ paint and some black paint that was more like road tar (still soft). I washed, degreased, sanded the rims and primed them. Then set to work filling all the dings and deep scratches with Bondo and spot putty. Sanded again, then a couple coats of sand-able primer. A few more touch-ups with spot putty and another couple coats of primer and wetsanding. Then I applied 3 coats of Duplicolor Perfect Match Bright Silver Metallic, wetsanding between coats. I am awaiting my SprayMax 2K catalyzed clear coat. That should give them a very glossy appearance and protect them as well as the original factory clear coat.

I ordered 4 used Kia center caps for $20.00 from Ebay. They appear to be in excellent shape.

Before:
[/URL]

After:

·
Registered
2007 Kia Sedona, 2000 Nissan Maxima
17 Posts
That's pretty nice! I wish these damn vans were a standard lug pattern, and by that I mean 5-lug, six is overkill. The generation before and after have 5-lug.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's pretty nice! I wish these damn vans were a standard lug pattern, and by that I mean 5-lug, six is overkill. The generation before and after have 5-lug.
Thanks!

Yeah, I think all other minivan manufacturers use a 5 lug pattern. Finding wheels for my old 4th gen. Grand Caravan was a joke - lots to choose from. I grabbed these wheels when I had the chance as I figured I'd never see a used set again.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Agreed, I had a tough time getting the old rotors out passing all six studs at the same time.
Something to look forward to... LOL!

I just picked up 4 rotors and front and rear pads for my Rondo. Here in Canada the cheapest price I could find for the works was north of $400.00 and over $600.00 (parts only) from the Kia dealer. A quick trip to Rock Auto and I had everything for ~$150.00 CAD, delivered (to my US post box - just across the border).

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1 - 6 of 6 Posts