Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking more about a Seltos and looking through this forum I am glad to see there are no mentions of problems with the DCT and IVT transmissions or their associated engines. I was thinking the same equipment is used in Seltos as for the Forte and Soul - and there have been a number of problems there, especially about the ivt transmission just giving up in the middle of an interstate, which sounds really scary to me! Appreciate any comments from you owners as we await more Selti to appear here in northern colorado. Thank you

·
Registered
'19 Sorento S V6 AWD in Snow White, 2021 Seltos SX turbo AWD
261 Posts
Our Seltos has between three and four thousand miles with no issues. Although there shouldn't be with that few miles. That being said, I had a '13 Veloster with pretty much the same engine and no issues. My opinion is that the engine is good.

Our Seltos has the double clutch trans and we like it so far, but it will heat up in crawl-along driving such as in a backup for an accident. Not sure if the trans will heat up in slow snow driving. We may find out this winter.

With all of that being said, my wife absolutely loves that car. Whenever I ask her if she still likes her car, she says she loves it. I enjoy driving it too.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks... About the heating up while crawling around in a backup... Do you just notice it gets warmer via the guage but you can continue driving or does it get to the point where you have to pull over and stop and let it cool down? My research is that you should only have a problem crawling along up a hill (or towing something - under load)...? Thanks for any insight.... Doug

·
Registered
261 Posts
When crawling along I've been mindful of the trans so I would check the guage and it would show that the temp was going up. It has never given me a message to stop and let it cool. When we last went to a rural area and I knew that we would be on a dirt road for three miles mostly up hill, we took my Sorento. I would say that if your usage would be mostly paved roads you would be fine.

Have you test driven one yet? They really are neat cars. We have that sort of gold color with the black roof and my wife gets comments about it all the time.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento LX V6 AWD
611 Posts
When crawling along I've been mindful of the trans so I would check the guage and it would show that the temp was going up. It has never given me a message to stop and let it cool. When we last went to a rural area and I knew that we would be on a dirt road for three miles mostly up hill, we took my Sorento. I would say that if your usage would be mostly paved roads you would be fine.

Have you test driven one yet? They really are neat cars. We have that sort of gold color with the black roof and my wife gets comments about it all the time.
I'm helping my girlfriend do a deal on the Seltos right now, actually. I sat in that same colored SX this morning. Much roomier than I thought it would be, and great storage space in the trunk (def. better than the CX 30). I did have concerns about the dual clutch transmission, but then again, I have no experience with Kia's variable transmission either. So I'm going by brand reputation, based on my experience with the Sorento. Good to hear that you're satisfied with the powertrain in general.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice... Have driven one only once, that was mainly to bring it home and have the wife check out the seat. We're in a bit of a mess in that I retired earlier in the year and my retirement present last New Years Eve was a new 2020 Santa Fe 2.4L non-turbo. We thought we'd be driving to see the grandkids in WA, back to NJ to see her brother etc. Well, with COVID we finally made one trip to WA state from CO in August, and afterwards decided we would never do that long of a trip again - her back in particular took a hit...(and it just seemed so LOOONNNG to me). Plus a lot of people didn't wear masks along the way so probably just as safe to fly to these places. So....I'd really like to downsize to something more practical like a Seltos, and then pretty soon get rid of her Soul and be a one car retired couple. Well, she thought she could live with the Seltos passenger seat (a new Soul was a no-go). Then we learned that a company nearby can put in electric lumbar support into almost any car seat, so that may open up more possibilities. The Santa Fe has the smart cruise control etc., so hate to go backwards, so you have to get the top of line Seltos, Kona, Soul etc to get that stuff, unfortunately. Last thing is that there are very few Selti (?) here in northern Colorado - can't even drive one right now if I wanted... But both dealers said that NOvember would be a big month here, with multiple SX's scheduled to arrive....maybe a small dribble in Oct. If I can catch one in October to drive and decide on, then I may try to sell the SF myself...under 5000 miles, still has the new car smell to it... Still a little concerned re the turbo and dual clutch...but I assure you it would only be driven on paved roads! This was a good video I watched yesterday (this is pt 3 of 3) - this crazy guy from Australia who is in the new car business and does a lot of reviews, these three short videos are on the current dual clutch transmissions in particular. He is optimistic overall as long as you understand what you're getting in to....
Thx... DT

·
Registered
261 Posts
We have never driven the non-turbo Seltos, so don't know about that. But the turbo is fun. Some folks are worried about turbos. We're not. I had that '13 Veloster and more recently a '17 Golf GTI. That car was a hoot and I never should have traded it. Not only was it turboed but it had a double clutch trans which I loved. Now, how VW's double clutch and Hyundai/Kia's double clutch differ , I couldn't tell you. I think I preferred VW's, but the Kia's seems to be doing the job. We bought based on past Hyundai/Kia ownership and many car reviews. If there is a problem down the road, hopefully the 10 year powertrain warranty would take care of it. Personally, I would prefer the DC trans to the CVT. So far I'm not a fan of CVTs, but Kia's may be excellent for all I know.

I'm in the retired boat also, but I want my own vehicle (Sorento) and my wife wants hers (Seltos). As I said before, my wife loves hers. But your wife needs to be comfortable in the car also, or it's the wrong car if you're only going to have one.

Adding lumbar to the seat might be the answer. Had never thought of that. I did have heat added to my wife's '09 Santa Fe driver's seat a few years back and that worked out great.

I hope you can get to drive a Seltos before long. If you enjoy driving at all, the SX with the turbo will be a more fun ride. That early shot of torque can be addicting.

Please update this post or start a new one in a month or so to let us know how you're progressing.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks................we're long time Hyundai/Kia owners...

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio Sedan Auto 1.6 Turbo 2020 Sportage LX FWD
292 Posts
The 1.6 turbo seems to be a good, reliable engine. Idk about the trans tho. I bought a base model Sportage over the seltos because of my transmission fears +more room. The fwd Sportage we bought used old, tried and tru tech. 2.4na 6spd select trq converter auto. 22,500$ for ours. Plenty of power for our mountain roads.

The seltos is close in size and price, and is far better looking imo.

The seltos is basically a forte/soul. The Sportage is an Optima. (kinda)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’m still learning about cars, but I was wondering if anyone has experienced any thumps or other sounds from a cold start? I’ve noticed in the last week or so with temperatures dropping a bit on the east coast, that my engine has been making a bit more noise than when I first got it a month ago. By the time the engine settles and the rpm needle goes back to 1000, there’s no noise, but I just want to confirm this is normal?

·
Registered
Sportage LX AWD 2014, Forte LX+ 2014
679 Posts
Seltos? As long as you don't take the car off paved road the chances are it should be ok.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Rio Sedan Auto 1.6 Turbo 2020 Sportage LX FWD
292 Posts
I’m still learning about cars, but I was wondering if anyone has experienced any thumps or other sounds from a cold start? I’ve noticed in the last week or so with temperatures dropping a bit on the east coast, that my engine has been making a bit more noise than when I first got it a month ago. By the time the engine settles and the rpm needle goes back to 1000, there’s no noise, but I just want to confirm this is normal?
Takes a while for the oil to warm and coat. Engines without oil are noisy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts