Kia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Carnival. Recently the engine "BLEW" @ 40 000 km. Why???
Seems that KIA Australia
(and I am assume Kia everywhere) knew about this problem with the engine sleeves. Why hadn't the owners been informed?
It seems that up to 10 000 vehicles in Australia may be affected. If this not the problem then please put me at ease.
Kia Aust is only notifying the owner when the service dept notice oil in the water. If you are like me we only do 8-10 000 km per year.
This is not a low cost fix. I have seen quotes upto 6000 dollars Aust.
Is anyone else have the same problems?
As Carnivalowners if Kia do not act like a good corporate citizen then we must take them to task on this issue before all owners experience this same problem.
And it will happen as it is a manufacturing fault identified by KIA but not widely known by Carnival owners.

And yes I do like my Carnival.

Robbo from Australia :unsure:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same problem after running 83,000 kms July 2003 and luckily, all was under warranty (100,000 or 4 years). But after the top overhaul of the engine (I was told there was a recall from Kia but I don't why nobody told me), my radiator hose gave up, my transmission keeps disengaging at high speek and never goes to low gear after that. Well, until you stop on the kerb and turn off the engine and restart again. The speed sensor (I was told after 2 months of going back and forth weekly at the dealer service center) needs replacement. That was last year (Oct/Nov) and now its been a year and its back again. I got it replaced last week and hope it last me another year.

Good luck Robert. The Kia Carnival (Classic) is a good car and after paying for a premium price in 2000, the car is still going well and gives me the grunt if I want to and is economical.

Just need some TLC and hopefully, we can get support from Kia along the way.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Well it sounds like this is the place to ouline my specific woes of our 1999 KIA Carnival.

Purchased back in 1999. Immediately problems with the engine light going on. Makes me wonder now if it was trying to actually tell the KIA people something was actually wrong with their KV6 style engine they had made.

After numerous idling problems etc, replacing brake pads every 20000kms our engine finally dropped it's liners and filled the coolant with oil at 50000km.

"oh it seems to me you have blown a head gasket" said KIA

"You have to be joking...." Said my wife (I have been out of life for a while on a disability pension. She looks after me and four children)

After a bit of a struggle we actually got a fix under warranty (good will) but had to pay for consumables. would have cost $6,500 in 2004.

So soon after engine light on again. They managed to fix it??? Do they just unplug it. Engine idling terrible. Finally smooths done.

25,000km later we have a dud engine again. Not happy. I am a little better this time round so helping wife with the battle with KIA. They have said no, but I am not happy. There is simply little chance of fixing properly unless engine rebuild is carried out by absolute experts in the field. Either a complete new engine or a expertly done rebuild will be the only way this KIA gets back on the road.

Could not live with myself just selling the car onto someone else after another unprofessional rebuild. Would rather send to the wreckers, even though this has at the moment financially devastated us.

Anyway. Hope KIA start to provide serious backup and service for their car, as this car (despite the problems) is the best sized on the market for our family.

Ashley
:amen:

·
Registered
12 Posts
hi,

how are you going with your battle,

we are about to go to a current affair, someone has already called them and they will be interested if we can get a group together.....

i have posts on here dating from last year, mine has done 2 engines as well,

we too couldnt sell to a family, we lost about 20,000 in 4 months of having the 2001 Kia Carnival,

i wont rest until i get my money back, i now drive a honda CRV and it has been wonderful, but i get so depressed thinking i will be paying for the kia and this car for the next 10 years.......

please email if you are interested.....

[email protected]
vikki linn [[email protected]]

·
Registered
221 Posts
Originally posted by kia going down@Apr 14 2006, 03:50 PM
hi,

how are you going with your battle,

we are about to go to a current affair, someone has already called them and they will be interested if we can get a group together.....

i have posts on here dating from last year, mine has done 2 engines as well,

we too couldnt sell to a family, we lost about 20,000 in 4 months of having the 2001 Kia Carnival,

i wont rest until i get my money back, i now drive a honda CRV and it has been wonderful, but i get so depressed thinking i will be paying for the kia and this car for the next 10 years.......

please email if you are interested.....

[email protected]
vikki linn [[email protected]]

It is just tragic to hear these all too common stories.

Over the past four weeks as we have waited on KIA to answer

Twice "no". The last time telling us it was a faulty thermostat. Tell me how a thermostat can cause more than the need to get the head done in the vehicle.
This is a classic case of a company (No matter who owns it) that has treated customers in australia very poorly. Will contact you via e-mail about the current affair.

:beer: :liebe011:

·
Registered
2016 Carnival
316 Posts
Hi Ashley
I cannot understand how Kia can say that it is a thermostat problem as this would not cause the liners to drop in the block which is all to common with the 2.5 engine.i'm sorry to hear you can't get a decent outcome from Kia when they fixed my 6yo car with 106k.Good luck with yours & kiagoingdowns action,I hope you get the right result.Cheers Len

·
Registered
221 Posts
Originally posted by len1266@Apr 14 2006, 10:05 PM
Hi Ashley
I cannot understand how Kia can say that it is a thermostat problem as this would not cause the liners to drop in the block which is all to common with the 2.5 engine.i'm sorry to hear you can't get a decent outcome from Kia when they fixed my 6yo car with 106k.Good luck with yours & kiagoingdowns action,I hope you get the right result.Cheers Len

Hi Len

Felt exactly the same, how could this be a thermostat. If it was it would only mean a head gasket replacement and not a full engine.

It is good to know that they have come good for cars over our mileage of 75k. Helps in the battle.

Would really like to know what the best solution is to this problem. When speaking to a gentleman named Rob (place called Korean Parts Group), his view wasthat repair of the engine, if done with a decently specified (new/reconditioned) short motor and by a mechanic who was familiar with what the procedure was then should have no problems with the car (maybe even more reliable than most.)

Where did you have your engine fixed?

I am in Queensland, and have a distinct feeling we have not got a lot of expertise and experience up here because of lower population.

Have a blessed easter.

:amen:

·
Registered
2016 Carnival
316 Posts
Hi Ashley
We had our car fixed at Great Western Kia at Kingswood.We also supplied them with the full service history of the car even though we purchased it in 2004.The previous owner left all the books with the car fortunately for us.The ok for the repair on our car came from Korea due to the k's.Our 100,000 klm service was carried out just before Christmas.Then in January the motor gave up the ghost the week we were heading to Tamworth for the CMF(didn't make it unfortunately).Then it was a 6 to 8 week wait for the repair to be carried out.Hope this helps.Hope you have a happy & safe easter.Cheers Len :grouphug:

·
Registered
221 Posts
I guess the problem is I do not think that there is good knowledge on how to correctly fix these cars. Did they show you that the liners were the correct size. Did an engineer check it?

I would check for water in the oil, and have the engine independantly checked to ensure that the compression is ok, well before it is out of warranty.

If I had known that this second engine was not fixed I would have had ours checked before it was out of warranty.

By the way, where is kingswood? Which state, close to which city?

Any way regards and thankyou so much for your input into this forum. It makes such a difference to be able to discuss issues with those who have been through the same experience.

Ashley :beer:

·
Registered
2016 Carnival
316 Posts
Hi Ashley
Kingswood is a suburb of Penrith in NSW.When they fixed our car we did not get to see the engine as I could not get there to check it out myself.I know they had a device to check the height of the liners as when we picked ours up they had another Carnival in the workshop with the same problem & we saw them checking the liners with it.It's good to see these forums are working so well.It's good to bounce ideas off eachother as well.When we had our problem we had so many willing to help also,it's makes a difference to know you are not alone.
Cheers Len

·
Registered
9 Posts
have also lodged a complaint with Victoria's Consumer Affairs as well as the ACCC. See my thread on "2nd engine gone" Am quite willing to go to A Current Affair. If I wanted to pay $24k for my car and then another $5k I'd buy a brand new one to start with and avoid all this.

Warren French
[email protected]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts