Kia Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 AWD & 2010 Hyundai Sonata SE
532 Posts
Wow thats a good one, i had to re read that because I couldnt believe someone wrote that. That is not even anywhere close to how it works. The only time your FI is off is when the engine is off, when the engine is on you are always using gas. Shifting to N would save such little fuel that the extra effort, wear to brakes and tranny, and possible safety risk make it not worth while. These are computer controlled cars not old school manual tranny cars, and you cant drive them as such. The manual does state that you should leave it in drive.
Did you even read the two articles I posted about this? People don't understand that the forward motion of your vehicle can keep your engine rotating whether its getting fuel or not. The computer can turn off the injectors but the engine will still stay rotating. It's not that hard to understand.

Reset your MPG average and drive down a hill. Watch as you will get a very high number. That because your not using any gas.

·
Registered
2013 Forte Koup SX; 2012 Kia Sorento SX; 2012 Kawasaki Z1000
1,007 Posts
Wow thats a good one, i had to re read that because I couldnt believe someone wrote that. That is not even anywhere close to how it works. The only time your FI is off is when the engine is off, when the engine is on you are always using gas. Shifting to N would save such little fuel that the extra effort, wear to brakes and tranny, and possible safety risk make it not worth while. These are computer controlled cars not old school manual tranny cars, and you cant drive them as such. The manual does state that you should leave it in drive.
this is true, in my experience, every time i pick up my son from daycare i have a 2 km downhill to drive.. leave it in auto, my rpm is in 12-1500.. running 90km/hr speed limit sometimes 100km/hr. once you step on the gas again it just goes faster (right away); rpm rises, and definitely feel the pull.. it means while coasting, engine is still running..

·
Registered
2013 Forte Koup SX; 2012 Kia Sorento SX; 2012 Kawasaki Z1000
1,007 Posts
I give up. Just read the two articles I posted and you people will understand how the fuel cutoff works.

Maybe this will help:
Fuel Injector Shut-Off - CleanMPG Forums

8th Gen Civic FD Fuel Injection Shut-off - YouTube\
i know what you are trying to say..
and i know that its just the fuel injectors are shut-off not the vehicle itself
unless you step on the gas (cause of the fast response fly-by-wire throttle)..

the fuel injectors stops squirting gas' but once you stepped on it again, back to normal.. i step on the gas just before i climb up on the hill definitely feel the pull.. what i dont know is when the injectors are back on-line like rpm threshold..

·
Registered
2011 Sorento V6 AWD
150 Posts
I give up. Just read the two articles I posted and you people will understand how the fuel cutoff works.

Maybe this will help:
Fuel Injector Shut-Off - CleanMPG Forums

8th Gen Civic FD Fuel Injection Shut-off - YouTube\
Hey I get what your trying to say and im not saying its not possible, it is on certain vehicles and if you make adjustments to the ecm and the programming. But this is not how it works on our vehicles. If all the FI stop shooting fuel into the combustion chamber then the engine would die, and need to be restarted. If its in N then the tranny is not "connected" to the wheels anyway as you can tell by pressing the accelerator while in N. If this is not what your saying or your referring to a different vehicle then my mistake. I saw the video, did you not read were it said "fuel is presumably shut off" this could just mean that the FI were idle at there minimum to keep the engine running. That guy was clearly no expert.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Hey I get what your trying to say and im not saying its not possible, it is on certain vehicles and if you make adjustments to the ecm and the programming. But this is not how it works on our vehicles. If all the FI stop shooting fuel into the combustion chamber then the engine would die, and need to be restarted. If its in N then the tranny is not "connected" to the wheels anyway as you can tell by pressing the accelerator while in N. If this is not what your saying or your referring to a different vehicle then my mistake. I saw the video, did you not read were it said "fuel is presumably shut off" this could just mean that the FI were idle at there minimum to keep the engine running. That guy was clearly no expert.
The tranny is connected to the vehicle when it is in drive. I understand why you guys think the engine might die because its presumably getting no fuel but the torque converter is locked meaning the forward motion of the vehicle has enough force to keep the engine spinning and whatever rpm you wish. In the video the guy shows the pulse on the fuel injectors. He shows when he lets off the throttle that there is no pulse at the injectors but the vehicle is still 'running' off the forward motion of the vehicle.

·
Registered
2011 Sorento V6 AWD
150 Posts
The tranny is connected to the vehicle when it is in drive. I understand why you guys think the engine might die because its presumably getting no fuel but the torque converter is locked meaning the forward motion of the vehicle has enough force to keep the engine spinning and whatever rpm you wish. In the video the guy shows the pulse on the fuel injectors. He shows when he lets off the throttle that there is no pulse at the injectors but the vehicle is still 'running' off the forward motion of the vehicle.
Even if that was the case with that civic in the video, do you think its safe to presume that of all engines/trannies in all different makes, models, and years?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Even if that was the case with that civic in the video, do you think its safe to presume that of all engines/trannies in all different makes, models, and years?
Yes. But this has been a standard piece of technology in every fuel injected car since the late 1990's. I've done my explaining. I understand why you guys might think the engine would just turn off without fuel but you have to remember that the forward motion of your vehicle will hole the rpm wherever it needs to be.

There is absolutely no need to the engine to need gas while coasting.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Rento, you are a much more patient person than I am!
So you understand how the system works? Behind the screen I've nearly logged off and turned the computer off just over this haha

·
Registered
2012 Sorento EX V6
40 Posts
Add me to the list. 2012 EX V6, 7k miles. Was sitting at a stoplight and engine died. No rough idle, just shut down like I had pushed the button. Started right back up. I was half mile from dealer so I stopped in and asked about it. They said "never heard of that". If I ever find an answer I will be sure to post. :confused:

21 - 34 of 34 Posts