Kia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

2001 Kia Carnival running well with 68000km on the clock.

However, just one minor problem has occurred recently though. The engine warning light on the dashboard has come on. People tell me not to be alarmed, as these things usually occur after a voltage surge, or other such minor misdemeanor. Can anybody offer advice as to how to get it to turn off without huge expense at a Kia dealer?

Thanks

Ad

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
Unplug the 10A P/TRN fuse under the hood for about 15 seconds. If the fault is constant, it may turn right back on. Some codes require two driving cycles before the light will come back on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that Kiamech.

This may sound dumb, but should I remove the fuse with the motor running, or just the ignition turned on, or completely off?

Thanks for your help

Ad

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
No, engine off. You could cause damage to the ECM if you pulled the fuse with the engine running.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi

I cant find the fuse you suggested removing under the bonnet. I found 3 other 10 amp fuses, removed and replaced them - all to no avail.

I am assuming that the fuse you talk about is located in the main fuse and relay box on the RHS?

Thanks for your help

Ad

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
It's in there on the LHD Sedonas, near the terminal to the battery. If you can't find it, just disconnect the battery.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hello Kia Mech,

Clartsonly got a good point and got around to a question I wanted to ask, how does one change the battery, I mean how does one do that without screwing up settings?
Seacam

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hello Clartsonly,

How much does it cost you to reprograme the key fob, I thought there was a way of doing that from the key in the ignition?
Seacam

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
You shouldn't have a problem with the remotes, but honestly, I have never tried using the key fobs after disconnecting the battery. If for some reason you had a problem, there is an easy way to reprogram them. I've seen it posted on this forum, so you can do a search to determine if it's something you think you can handle.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Just need to bridge pins 12 & 16 on the diagnostic connector, switch on ignition, press lock twice, interior bonger should bong, job done.

·
Registered
Sedona 2.9 crdi LE
245 Posts
From my experience disconecting the battery will not upset any of the remote settings.

I had a battery charging problem (suspect alternator) 2 days before driving the car to Cardiff airport to Fly to sunnier climates. As a replacement alternator was not available I was advised by Kia technical that once parked up at the airport disconnect the battery neg connection so there would be no drain on the battery. Ok this means the car was not alarmed but I was prepared to take the risk with CCTV and them needing my credit card to get out. This I did and maually locked all the doors.

On return 2.30 in the morning, entered the drivers door with a key popped the bonnet, connected the battery, and the car started first time. Drove home and locked it with the remote no problem.

I have finally got a date for the alternator change, apparently there are 3 different types and this can onlt be identified from the serial number which some clever git decided to put on the underside of the alternator and is very difficult for the man in the street to identify.

Simon

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hello Simon,

Why am I not surprised at Kia making life diffcult.

What year is your vehicle?

Post the serial number.

I assume by what you did, when it come to replacing my battery I can disconect and change?
Seacam

·
Registered
391 Posts
they charge £20 although I never never had to pay it and I have been shown by an engineer doing the exact thing with a paper clip to reprogramme it. after changing the ECU they kindly invited me to bring in my spare set too to reprogramme that set as it had been out since the last time they "unprogrammed" the key fobs. I assume the coding is actually changing on the car not on the key fob. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi,

A big thanks to all those who replied to my question. Disconnected that battery for a few minutes and hey presto - warning light gone! Have run the car a few times now, with no recurrence of problem.

I dont have remote entry, so I cant comment on the effects here. I had my radio security code at hand for when I reconnected the battery, but I didn't need that either, it all just worked fine (bit of a worry really - considering its suppossed to be a security feature!!)

Thanks again

AD

·
Registered
2003 Kia Sorento
606 Posts
Capacitors in the radio keep the memory for a short time. That way you don't have to re-enter the code when you change your battery. If the radio was removed, the capacitors would drain before the thief could reinstall it in another vehicle.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts