Kia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Kia Sephia LS, 1998 Kia Sportage 4x4, 2002 Kia Sportage 4x4
1,252 Posts
There has been a number of times on this site where there has been arguments and questions over whether the T8D engine in the sephias and spectras are interference or non-interference. i was asked, in the last argument, to prove that i was right on this subject and if i couldn't prove it then i basically didn't know what i was talking about. today i was browsing around on our GDS at the dealership on some info on a sportage i'm working on and i ran across an article in the tech times section from 2005 that basically proved me right. feel free to look it up for yourself and read it on kiatechinfo.com if you still need proof that this is direct from KMA/Kia Motors Corp.

No. KT20050302142
Language English
Published 3/2/2005
Area N. America
Model All Model(all)
Gr./Sys./Comp Engine Mechanical System / Timing System / Timing Belt

DTC
P0300 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0301 - Cylinder 1-Misfire detected
P0302 - Cylinder 2-Misfire detected
P0303 - Cylinder 3-Misfire detected
P0304 - Cylinder 4-Misfire detected
P0305 - Cylinder 5-Misfire detected
P0306 - Cylinder 6-Misfire detected

Symptom
EN1000 - Hard/No start
EN4000 - engine stalls
EN5000 - poor engine power/acceleration
EN7000 - back-fire/knocking
EN8000 - improper exhaust gas
EN9000 - MIL ON (Malfunction Indicator Lamp)
ENN001 - Noise
ENN002 - Vibration
ENN003 - Others
Subject Engine Valve Timing Interference.

Description
Tech Line tells us they get a fair amount of calls asking about valve/piston interference on our engines. The Sportage and Sephia/Spectra are the only "freewheeling engines." The valves do not interfere with the pistons if the timing belt fails. All other Kia engines are "interference engines.” The valves may interfere with the pistons if valve timing is off.

Keep in mind this article only applies to the 1995-2002 Sportage, 1994-2001 Sephia, and the 2000-2004 Spectra.

"One who is slack in his work is brother to one who destroys."

·
Registered
3 Posts
thank god

my wife's '02 spectra timing belt went out a month ago, and i was worried that they might be int. engines (according to the dorks at autozone). took the whole thing apart, and didn't see anything wrong with it. talk about being relieved

·
Memorial Super Moderator
2005 Kia Cerato LD [2L petrol] manual, 1986 Nissan Pulsar hatch
2,861 Posts
my wife's '02 spectra timing belt went out a month ago, and i was worried that they might be int. engines (according to the dorks at autozone). took the whole thing apart, and didn't see anything wrong with it. talk about being relieved
If you look on the internet parts sites etc a lot of them give the wrong info about these engines, but the info here is correct. When you look into it a bit though you can easily see why shops get it wrong because suppliers of parts timing belts etc give the wrong info, a lot of sites get it wrong.:eek:

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,128 Posts
Ok after it seems a lot of replies for kiaracer I started to lean towards that the t8d engines might not be interference. I really started to believe this.

My wifes friend at work and her boyfriend own an 01 spectra. Last week on my way to work I saw his car 4 ways on, broke down. Hes got one of those aluminum ricer wings on the back and a fart cannon. You can't miss it.

I tell my wife about it she asks them what is wrong with their car (I was going to offer my help to fix it for them)
BUT
he said the timing belt went and it bent valves. We asked if they took it apart yet, and said no. I said just throw a belt on it and you should be good to go.
BUT, the next day the shop said there was damage done to the pistons/valves. Im going to see if he still has his car and see if he can snap a few pics of the inside of it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The Kia Spectra 1.8L DOHC is without a doubt an interference engine. I can assure this as, I just bought one that had jumped time and replaced the head. There were marks in the tops of all four pistons on the exhaust valve sides. I cant say whether or not the intake valves had kissed the pistons since there are reliefs on the intake side but I do know that the 1.8 in all Sephia's and Spectra's up to 2002 had both intake and exhaust reliefs as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
So, is it interference or not?

I read this post a long time ago and basically blew off worrying about replacing the belt only if I had to.

Now, I'm all confused. Just put all new struts and tires with 142,000. Didn't want to invest anymore at this time.

Looks like I might have to....

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,912 Posts
You said "So, is it interference or not?"
So what do you "have" or not?
That's like saying "my car won't start...what's wrong with it?"
You have not updated your Model/year/general location...This leads us to search for that information that you could easily supply in your "cp"...
I can "see" you are in the Columbus, Ohio area (moderator info) and I searched your old posts to "see" you might have a 2002 Spectra (unless that changed).
We ask that you supply this info so we CAN help you....
I would NOT chance the belt breaking as the 1997~2003 Spectras with the 1.8L engine has posts of damage to valves and pistons when the belt broke or jumped timing...Some owners WERE lucky when the TB broke and got away with just replacing the belt..NO GUARANTIES...
Waiting until the TB breaks may leave you stranded at the side of the road in an OHIO snow storm...or in a bad area of town at night..
I change them every 60k miles and suggest that you replace them every 5yrs or 60k miles as per the book.
Dave

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was just going with the flow of the OP.

"Keep in mind this article only applies to the 1995-2002 Sportage, 1994-2001 Sephia, and the 2000-2004 Spectra".

Guess I'll just bite the bullet and get it done.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It is an interference engine. I have repaired 4 of them; each 1 had all 8 exhaust valves bent.

This is hands on, not some bs I read somewhere.

·
Registered
3 Posts
O2 spectra definitely an interference motor. 11 of my 16 valves bent after my timing belt went. New user first post woohoo hey guys.

·
Registered
86 BMW 535i, 03 Spectra
1 Posts
2003 Spectra appears to be an interference engine - I have one sitting in the garage at the moment. Please allow me to relate the following events in evidence:

1) Sitting at an idle in a construction zone, engine stops running suddenly, accompanied by a faint ticking sound as it spins to a stop.
2) WTF, attempt to restart engine- approx 1-2 revolutions later, detected NO COMPRESSION. Sounded very clearly to be spinning without any compression pulsing, as it would with spark plugs removed.
3) Remove and replace timing belt, then check crank/camshaft timing by spinning engine by hand 2 revolutions clockwise. Engine timing verified correct.
4) Reconnect battery, attempt to start engine ... NO COMPRESSION.
5) Contact KIA service advisor, and related above. First thing he says, "bring it in and we'll bore-scope it to see if anything is damaged internally, since that is an interference engine."
5) Call around for a remanufactured or used head, try to get it running again without spending another $2000 on this car.

So from Very Personal Experience, this is a 2003 Spectra with a 1.8 Liter engine that is Most Definitely INTERFERENCE. Just my opinion, of course, but if the OP wants to come over and drive the car around the block to prove me wrong, then I will admit my error in thinking.

Any questions?
Yes, one- Why does the OP tell us that it is NOT an interference engine, hmmm?

Andy in Colorado

·
Registered
2002 kia spectra 1.8L 89,000 miles. Manual transmission
4 Posts
So I have an 02 kia Spectra. My timing just went out.. should I replace all my valves while I'm having my timing redone just to be safe or is there more I need to replace than just that?

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,992 Posts
So I have an 02 kia Spectra. My timing just went out.. should I replace all my valves while I'm having my timing redone just to be safe or is there more I need to replace than just that?
As can be seen in this thread, its hit and miss whether your engine has suffered internal damage, ...more likely if the timing belt failed at high RPM.

You could put a new belt on and give it a try or use a video inspection camera.

·
Registered
4 Posts
As can be seen in this thread, its hit and miss whether your engine has suffered internal damage, ...more likely if the timing belt failed at high RPM.

I was going about 15mph maybe 20 when timing belt went out. While it was down and not exactly know what was wrong I changed the fuel filter, alternator, starter, air filter, crankshaft sensor because it threw the code for that, camshaft sensor because that code threw after I changed the crankshaft sensor. Other two belts had just been changed as well as having an oil change 1,000 miles before timing went....

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,992 Posts
I was going about 15mph maybe 20 when timing belt went out. While it was down and not exactly know what was wrong I changed the fuel filter, alternator, starter, air filter, crankshaft sensor because it threw the code for that, camshaft sensor because that code threw after I changed the crankshaft sensor. Other two belts had just been changed as well as having an oil change 1,000 miles before timing went....
If the RPM's were up from idle, then there's a good chance that the engine is damaged.

You don't mention if the timing belt was replaced on schedule at 60K miles?

Not using a diagnostic approach is always more costly, as your experience confirms.

It's a very typical mistake to assume that an error code means a failed sensor, when in most cases its an indication the the signal is not what the ECU is expecting, such as your case where the crank and cam sensors were not in synch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok. So if the engine is damaged what all would I have to replace? Just the valves or is there more to it

·
Super Moderator
10,992 Posts
Ok. So if the engine is damaged what all would I have to replace? Just the valves or is there more to it
Without a strip down you wont know, but it could be a few valves, valve guides, piston crowns could be badly dinged and need new pistons - if the suggested video inspection confirmed such damage it might be better to find a good used engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Without a strip down you wont know, but it could be a few valves, valve guides, piston crowns could be badly dinged and need new pistons - if the suggested video inspection confirmed such damage it might be better to find a good used engine.
Ok. Thank you

1 - 19 of 19 Posts