Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a FYI, my Amanti I bought back in March 04 was just diagnosed with piston slap so it will need a new engine.

This all started shortly after I bought the car, never heard anything in March but somewhere in April I believe, I had parked the car in my garage and took it back out either a week or a month later. When I started it up I heard what sound like lifter noise, its in your owners manual that you may hear occasional lifter noise on startup. Anyway it was fine all through the summer until it has gotten colder again. In October it was back regularly, every morning in fact and the colder the day the louder the noise and the longer it would last.

Now so you know I don't or haven't driven the car everyday, on the weekends especially it doesn't move unless I am cleaning it for the next week. I own more cars then brains so I am used to some noise from any or all of them after not starting them for a few weeks or maybe more depending.

Anyway I talked to the technician that will be installing my new engine and repair the TSB on the front strut mounts, he just returned from training for the new Sportage. I asked him if it had happened with any of the other 3.5L engines Kia/Hyundai uses and he said it was the 1st he had ever seen so thats good for the rest of us, myself included since I bought a Sedona in March as well that has never made a peep since I bought it.

Oh my engine was also using oil, at least 3 quarts since I bought it where as my sedona has never used a drop, the Amanti is currently at 7782 miles, if I drove the car regularly it would be at about 18000 or so right now.

About the TSB on the strut mounts, if you hear a clunk in the front suspension take it to the dealer bad strut mounts the service bulliten is already out. I drive on very uneven roads near where I work, over large bumps nothing, little ones and clunk just like a loose sway bar.

This is just an FYI of what I have found out so far if you have any ?'s or info let me know.

·
Registered
134 Posts
rdnk4re.....certainly bad news to say the least...so in a nutshell..sporatic use and cold weather seem to bring on the symtoms more than anything else..right????Also wonder why your loss of three quarts of oil which is very significant was not picked up by who was checking the oil....or was the oil not checked on a regular basis????? I have checked my oil frequently (7800 K) 2-3 times per mo and have found it to on the top line ea time but after reading your post, I will check weekly from now on ....I do not think by not starting the engine frequently that this would create the piston slap....do you....what opinion regarding this were you given by the dealer if any ????? Also could you please share the TSB nunber regarding the solution to the the clunking sound ( bad strut mounts )....I have checked as many sources as I know but have found no such TSB listed anywhere. If you can provide this TSB number or where to find it as it may help when I take my Amanti in for this possible repair as I think I have the same CLUNK..and it's much more effective to present one's case to the dealer when you carry in a copy of a TSB.....hopefully you will get your new engine installed quickly and this will the end of the problem.......any future info will help many of us.....many regards........rayray.........2004 Pearl White Amanti

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been checking the oil regularly, as in weekly from the start. I don't trust anyone more then myself and I have been noting the lose so I could tell them when it went in. It's not uncommon for some engines to use some oil when new, the honda prelude had a number of complaints about oil useage when new, 1st few thousand miles at least. Oh matter a fact my Sedona also bought in March was half a quart low on transmission fluid when I got it, which I had them add.

Piston slap isn't completely uncommon in engines but the last engine I knew of it being a common complaint was the early LS1 engines, chevy went to a coated piston skirts to solve that problem. In my case 1 piston is probably a shade smaller then the rest and getting to much movement when cold, basicly out of spec. Once it heats up and expands all is good again of course.

Oh I think I forgot to mention I had changed the oil once at 5032 already and it used over 1.5 quarts from 5032 to 7782 so the problem seemed to be getting worse as I was driving the car more.

I will look for that TSB number for you if I cannot pull it up I will call Clinton at the dealership I went to and get it from him. The car is at the best dealership I have been to yet in my area since 01. Kia's service has been lacking but they are focusing on it now to bring them in line with the rest of the industry. Matter a fact Clinton got me a rental car while mine was in the shop. Loaner cars are not covered by Kia as of yet but as I had just bought 2 new Kia's in March and 3 since 01 + the fact it was a major problem Clinton said he could get it covered. I only need the car to get to my house really, 60 miles from the dealer to my house and the closest is about 45 miles, logisticly its a pain to say the least.

·
Registered
134 Posts
RDNK4RE......I agree that some by their very nature some engines will burn oil in a natural process....But if my Amanti burned over a quart and ahalf in 2700 miles, I too would be very concerned about that.....Sounds like you have a pretty good dealer that may do right by you.....I live in the Silicon Valley-San Francisco Bay Area where we have some real good dealers since the competition is extremely fierce...although the original dealer I bought my Amanti from bailed out of selling and servicing Kias...pissed me off..no word, no letter, no nothing...I went in for an oil change and noticed that there was not a single kia on the lot...that was it...I now go to a Lincoln- Mercury- Kia dealer who says they are going to stay with Kia..we'll see....I really would appreciate the TSB number as a preventative measure if needed...You sound pretty confident with your dealer installing a new engine...Good luck with it..Will your engine warranty start all over again????????take care and keep us informed....ray-ray

·
Registered
134 Posts
RDNK4RE........you got me going.......just got back from running an errand (around 35 miles) and rushed out to the garage and checked the you know what...wheeew...right to the top line...alright... :D :D :D keep in touch...........rayray

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The dealer the car is at is not the dealer I bought the car at, they well sucked. 3 strikes and they where out. This is 1 of 2 dealers I haven't gone to yet and so far I'm happy. Clinton already told me it need a new short or long block depends on what they say in Baltimore as to which I get, east coast main office. Just looking at cost a long block would make more sense since the dealer charges them for labor, the closer it is to a drop in the lower the labor costs.

Still looking for that TSB, nothing at alldata or KSIS, Kia service info site. I may have to call Clinton to get it. The problem with TSB's is they keep them in house for about 1 yr or so, if you don't complain about it they figure you don't have a problem.

My oil was weird it would be good, good, good, half quart gone.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hey RDNK4RE......Haven't heard anything on the progress or lack of progress regarding your engine replacement....what is going on?????Still planning on the replacing the engine????Just checking. Also any luck on th TSB for the front suspension noises...My Amanti has developed as I carefully listened to the front end noise a rather pronounced LOUD SQUEAK rather than as I had thought (clunk). It only happens when brakes are applied at slow speed and front of car dips as a result of the brakes being applied and then when taking off again when the car's front lifts.....I feel is definitely a suspension problem and not a brake problem...I am taking it in tomorrow and hopefully it will squeak and squeak, etc for the tech...but probably it won't but at least it will have initiated a paper trail so therefore that TSB you have heard about may have some bearing on the front end sound ( only right side)....does this sound like something you experienced?????? Wait to hear from from you...keep us up to date on the engine stuff and the TSB for the front end if possible....take care.......rayray....

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RAYRAY...sorry been busy you know holiday's.

I got the car back already with a new short block, meaning bottom end. I will catch up when I get home and have more time to type it all out on the TSB and all.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Originally posted by RDNK4RE@Dec 16 2004, 10:44 AM
RAYRAY...sorry been busy you know holiday's.

I got the car back already with a new short block, meaning bottom end. I will catch up when I get home and have more time to type it all out on the TSB and all.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hey RDNK4RE.....How is the engine performing?? Am interested in how it runs, feels, etc.....Went to the dealer for the squeak/groan and it was determined it was the front right strut which was replaced today. It seems quiet now but I really did not drive very much today. It took the tech almost fours to change it (female tech...first for me...I was impressed with her attitude and hopefully her technical abilities are equal to her attitude. The service guy said that there have been several Amanti (s) with the same strut problem but he made no mention of any TSB......I hope this solves the problem and I hope your engine problem has also been fixed.....keep us informed and if you can find that TSB #, it will help....Regards...rayray................PS...as i was sitting for my car, up pulls a tow-truck with ...you guessed it a brand new Amanti....apparently it was just a broken alternator belt ..no biggie but enough to put car out of commission........WE SHALL SEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry rayray and everybody for not getting back faster, with the time of year and work I am doing on my house time is tight sometimes and after spending 8 hrs with a shovel (at the house) looking at a computer screen is not what I want to do.

The engine is running great, no problems at all, even today with a high of 25F. The struts still aren't fixed, I gently held Clinton to the fire about it and he looked for me for a while then came up with a "Pitstop" piece of some kind of print out that simply says if you car makes noise and was built before 4/23/04 it will need the strut mounts replace. Mine was built in 12/03, I bought it in Mar 04 so its before April 04. I would have grilled him more but apparently there are allot more Amanti's with this particular problem then we know, since as Clinton put it there is a "National shortage" of parts for this TSB item. I am looking at the 1st of the year for mine at the soonist.

Since the work order is still open on my car I cannot pull the TSB number off of it. But I do have a call into KIA corporate to see if I can get it there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
<_< Piston slap is caused by a rocking motion of the piston slapping against the cylinder walls. Should sound all the time not just when it is cold. Piston slap does not nec mean there will be bad results other than just noise.

:blush: Culd be wrong, I was wrong once when I thought I was wrong and wasn't lol

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would agree but they diagnosed it as piston slap, sound more like a bad lifter to me, 2nd there is/was a similar problem on early LS1's that would slap due to a loose clearance between the piston and cylinder when cold but as the engine warmed up the clearance was reduced to within specs. GM simply started coating there piston in that case.

As they have already replace the engine under warranty and it is running fine I think I will leave it alone.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts