Kia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 jeep cj7, Dodge Ram 4x4, 2000 Sporty
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New guy Needs help. I have a running 1997 sportage engine that I put into a 2000 sporty. after the swap I can't get the motor to start. turns over just fine. the 2000 had a blown engine, but a good body/interior, and the 97 had a bad clutch, rough body/interior, thats how I got to this point. any ideas will help.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,959 Posts
First..Welcome to kia-forums!
Did the engine run in the donor car before swapping?
I have read where there may be two connectors with the same ends close to each other that may get reversed...Check for that..Check also for missing ground wires from engine to body. Look for orphan "loose" connectors...
Check for engine codes (OBDII type)...
and give us some feedback...
Dave

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response Dave! The donor engine ran fine before the swap. Goin' back in to check and double check the connectors, wiring, and grounds. Hope for a good post soon!

Pumba

·
Registered
2,268 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi all, all connectors and grounds appear to be in place. now i'm not getting 12 volts to the spark plug coils. relays? how do I check the relays .

·
Registered
1998 Kia Sportage 2WD Base Model
306 Posts
Should be traceable back to the Crank Position Sensor, also check the connection at the ignition coil harness between valve cover and firewall.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My sporty is still not starting. the coils and plug wires ohm out ok, but still a no start. I'm a little confused with the cam position sensor. Went to an online parts store to check prices and the 2000 sportage sensor I found has a three prong connector and my sporty has just a single wire connector. does the plastic part on the drivers side rear of the head have anything to do with the CMP?

·
Registered
22 Posts
When you swapped did you use the intake off of the 2000 or the 1997? I just did the exact same swap 1997 engine into 2000 body. All I swapped was the block and head. I used all of the electronics off of the 2000. There are to many diffferences in the connectors and from what Ive read the injectors on the older intake wont work with newer ECU.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did the same thing. 1997 engine block and head. the rest of the motor is from the 2000 sporty. Other than the two relays, all I can think of is chasing all of the connectors to see if there's a short or open wire somewhere. very frustrating!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Pull your fuses dealing with the ignition and check them for continuity. I just had one that looked good but it had a hairline crack in one of the legs. Make sure you got all of the connectors some of them behind the head and the intake are a pain to get. Come to think of it double check the intake connectors, you may not be getting any fuel. I thought the plastic thing on the back of the head driver side was the Cam Sensor. Check the link above, the 00sportageEEM folder has all of the wiring diagrams plus pictures of where everything is.

·
Registered
1998 Kia Sportage 2WD Base Model
306 Posts
First..Welcome to kia-forums!
Did the engine run in the donor car before swapping?
I have read where there may be two connectors with the same ends close to each other that may get reversed...Check for that..Check also for missing ground wires from engine to body. Look for orphan "loose" connectors...
Check for engine codes (OBDII type)...
and give us some feedback...
Dave
The connectors that have the same harness shape and are close enough together to be switched are the connectors for the idle control valve and the throttle position sensor.

I doubt that is your problem though.

Did you transfer the ECM with the donor motor or are you using the original ECM?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts