Kia Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Rio 1.6L LX
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

Greetings from sunny Brisbane, Australia.

Brief History:

I recently got myself a 2005 Kia Rio LX with a broken down G4EE motor, so naturally, my idea for solving this problem was to install the much nicer G4ED out of a Kia Rio CVVT that I got super cheap.

Engine and manual transmission are in the car and all wired up, however...

Problem(s):
  • the engine cranks just fine and it does fire - but does instantly
  • the engine will not idle
  • if you control the idle via using the throttle the car will run (extremely rough - wouldn't recommend it)
  • getting error code P0108
Already tried:
  • swapping out ED ecu with EE ecu (does not help the problem)
  • all fuses and relays are in good condition
  • fuel pump is priming
  • can't find any obvious vaccum leaks
  • testing the voltage of the plug within the air box (MAF?)
    • I can see there is plenty of voltage getting up to and over 5 volts which I believe is not supposed to happen?
Any suggestions or other recommended reading (however obscure) would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks in advance,
Todd

·
Registered
2011 Hyundai ix35 AWD CRDi
464 Posts
Not sure how much sun you're seeing , i'm seeing a bit of rain last 3 days.

How much planning and thought went into this?

This is based on what I see straight up:

you had a DOHC non CVVT car, ECU wiring etc and you're plugging in a CVVT engine DOHC which has a MAFS instead of a MAPS and also has an Oil Control Valve for teh CVVT plus a different ECU and wiring to run.

Rectangle Font Circle Parallel Screenshot

all wired up
Are you saying you have complete harnesses from the 1.6 CVVT car to rewire yours to make it work? I'm thinking not because you have a MAPS error because the ECU is missing that signal and one reason it';s probably not running right, plus you swap ECU but if it's the old harness you have no idea what the pinouts will be and could also do damage it or anything else in the process.

Sorry if I'm coming across harsh.

·
Registered
2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo / 2001 Kia Rio
349 Posts
yeah had to look it up also.... not bad for different engine types.

in his country this is a 2nd gen rio bodystyle....

·
Registered
2005 Rio 1.6L LX
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure how much sun you're seeing , i'm seeing a bit of rain last 3 days.

How much planning and thought went into this?

This is based on what I see straight up:

you had a DOHC non CVVT car, ECU wiring etc and you're plugging in a CVVT engine DOHC which has a MAFS instead of a MAPS and also has an Oil Control Valve for teh CVVT plus a different ECU and wiring to run.

View attachment 121430

Are you saying you have complete harnesses from the 1.6 CVVT car to rewire yours to make it work? I'm thinking not because you have a MAPS error because the ECU is missing that signal and one reason it';s probably not running right, plus you swap ECU but if it's the old harness you have no idea what the pinouts will be and could also do damage it or anything else in the process.

Sorry if I'm coming across harsh.
Thanks Gerard 2,

Sadly the lack of sun is making me sound like a bit of a liar.

After some research, I had done (can't remember where I saw it - because now I cannot find it again) saying that the wiring between G4EE and G4ED wasn't different enough to cause issues, I brought the entire engine harness and ECU from the CVVT over with me and plugged that into the existing non CVVT fuse box and body loom.
Perhaps I was a little in denial that everything would just plug and play for me :LOL:

Over a few beers, last night and now seconded by your post I am realising that this weekend will be spent swapping entire body looms over from non CVVT to CVVT (lucky that both cars are sitting right next to each other in the yard). I also acquired myself a Hyundai owner's manual of all things to get further engine wiring diagrams, etc for the car but am not getting the full picture.

yeah had to look it up also.... not bad for different engine types.

in his country this is a 2nd gen rio bodystyle....
Can you or rpw00mirage recommend any good manuals or documentation for the vehicles?

·
Registered
2011 Hyundai ix35 AWD CRDi
464 Posts
Thanks Gerard 2,

Sadly the lack of sun is making me sound like a bit of a liar.

After some research, I had done (can't remember where I saw it - because now I cannot find it again) saying that the wiring between G4EE and G4ED wasn't different enough to cause issues, I brought the entire engine harness and ECU from the CVVT over with me and plugged that into the existing non CVVT fuse box and body loom.
Perhaps I was a little in denial that everything would just plug and play for me :LOL:

Over a few beers, last night and now seconded by your post I am realising that this weekend will be spent swapping entire body looms over from non CVVT to CVVT (lucky that both cars are sitting right next to each other in the yard). I also acquired myself a Hyundai owner's manual of all things to get further engine wiring diagrams, etc for the car but am not getting the full picture.

Can you or rpw00mirage recommend any good manuals or documentation for the vehicles?
Is it the GDS manuals? If you have the complete car and harnesses you may pull it off then. Big job, not something I've ever done but I've been caught doing simple swaps within the same model but not the same year where they changed wiring and ECUS, killed a sensor in an intercooler lucky not to kill much more. If you have diagrams t that's teh best way if they line up wit hour vehicles. If it was a VM machine down load then it should be teh GDS which if you got a chinese GDS clone you could do some diagnostics and programming through the OBD2

This is Hyundai but Kia is same layout

Rectangle Font Slope Line Parallel

1 - 5 of 5 Posts