Kia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
84 jeep cj7, Dodge Ram 4x4, 2000 Sporty
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually have good results with car repairs so I took on an engine swap: donor was a good running 97 sportage and the recipient a 2000 sportage. Everything went well, found a few crossed wires, added a few grounds, used all of the 2000 sporty wiring harness connectors, I've got 12v at the coil packs, engine turns over great but still NO START!! Is there an issue with the ECM. does it need to be flashed or reset or what! very frustrating. hope someone has an idea. Thanks for all of your help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Finally back in the garage!! and yes it does start with test fuel, ( spraying starter fluid into the intake manifold ) but it will not continue to run. dies instantly, I'm closer than I've ever been with this sporty... what does this mean. bad fuel pump? tested the pump and it delivered fuel into a bottle easily and even left pressure in the container. any ideas will be very helpfull!

·
Premium Member
96 4 DOOR 4WD SPORTAGE, 2014 Hyundai Elantra GT, 2015 Accent Hatchback Sport
650 Posts
Did you use all the intake manifold stuff off the 2000 and exhaust stuff off the 2000?
Everet

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,689 Posts
Fuel flow does not guarantee pressure to spec... do a fuel pressure system test..

followed by a noid test on the injector circuit..... Philip

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,959 Posts
Have you checked for injectors firing? You may have fuel pressure but if the injectors aren't firing... gas under pressure won't help. They make a "noid" kit for checking "if" there is a "fire" signal going to the plugs and Harbor Freight carries one...or you could jimmy-rig a 12v LED to the 2 wires going to the injectors to "see" if there is any signal being sent.
Your timing must be OK..compression...OK...Spark...OK...so look at the injectors.
Just my thoughts...
Dave

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How do you test fuel system pressure when the motor doesn't run ? I rented a test kit but the first instruction after you hook up the gage is to "start the engine and bring to an idle" !! there must be a way to bench test a fuel pump, or test on a car thats not running.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Did you disconnect the fuel lines at the frame rail when you did the motor swap?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The 2000 sporty has the quick connectors on the fuel rail, one supply from the filter to the pressure reg. and the other end goes back to the tank. they were the only fuel lines disconnected.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Only reason I ask is -if- the lines were crossed during reassembly, your Sporty will never start .. Ask me how I know this. :p

Recommend, as a sanity check, reviewing the lines:

At the fuel pump:, viewed from above, -> towards back of vehicle:

1) Fuel Tank pressure sensor,
2) Fuel -Return- line,
3) Fuel -Pump- line,
4) Fuel Pump / Fuel level connector.

Would follow the line that leads from the back of the fuel filter, down to the frame rail, note (which) line it is connected to,

Make sure it matches up with the (same) line at the back of the vehicle .. Note: viewing at the back / the fuel tank access port, the (top) line running is the rear Brake line, so count (1) down to match up..

( If this is review, Thanks for reading anyways. :) )

If all good, you could try -disconnecting- both battery cables, and (re-seating) both the MAIN and FUEL PUMP relays,

And check the engine Coolant Temp (ECT) sensor wiring, follow the top radiator hose to the thermostat block, sensor on right side - a bad ECT sensor or wiring connection will cause the ECM to read (-50), that also can cause a no start condition,

Some things to try,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
How do you test fuel system pressure when the motor doesn't run ? I rented a test kit but the first instruction after you hook up the gage is to "start the engine and bring to an idle" !! there must be a way to bench test a fuel pump, or test on a car thats not running.
To test, just hookup and crank the motor, the system should build up pressure in the fuel rail,

Or you can jumper at the (diagnostic connector) to bypass the (FUEL PUMP) relay / directly energize the fuel pump to build up pressure / "prime" the fuel rail,

Source:

(Thanks to DavesSpectra for posting online)

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B-YuNuTyh57XUXZKRnlLMV9sMTA&usp=sharing

Group22-1.PDF, look for "22-8",

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ground wire

I had the same issue on a Neon engine swap and it ended up being a electrical ground issue. I added 3 ground wires from the engine to the chasis and it resolved the issue. Good Luck

·
Registered
17 Posts
Me to

I'm having a similar problem I had my engine running after I swapped it into a Mazda B2000 spun a rod bearing got the engine rebuilt and put back in got it running albeit roughly. Now it won't start I have found that I'm not getting any signal to my injectors test the wires for continuity and shorts and found that they were good. I don't have the chasis acceleration sensor on the truck but it was running with out it and it takes 2 driving cycles to set the code so I'm guessing that it's not the cause. Let me know if you figure out a fix.

·
Premium Member
1999 Sportage A/T 4WD
987 Posts
The Sportage ECM always set a code after two driving cycles; I remember I read that in the description of its operation, although I could remember wrongly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts