Kia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My turn to visit the dealer, the Diesel Engine shuts down under load. Can be dangerous, happened today while I was passing a slower car.

It happened first time last week. The dealer could not find any thing wrong. This time the CHECK engine light is on, so the computer registered the fault.

Does some one has experience with such fault?

·
Registered
2004 Kia Sorento
64 Posts
Ilan said:
My turn to visit the dealer, the Diesel Engine shuts down under load. Can be dangerous, happened today while I was passing a slower car.

It happened first time last week. The dealer could not find any thing wrong. This time the CHECK engine light is on, so the computer registered the fault.

Does some one has experience with such fault?
Hi Ilan!
Same symptoms I heard from one Sorento owner. His engine stops when he tries to accellerate and the "check engine" light is also showing too. The culprit he told me is his dirty fuel filter. After this incident, his dealer recommended changing the fuel filter every 20,000 kms

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Schnauzer said:
Please post the fault number(s) from the computer.
I don't have a way to get the number I need to visit the dealer.

Murphwiz said:
There was a recall for ECU wiring, if faulty it caused similar faults, did your car have recall?
I never heard of the recall, my Sorento is 2005 model. The dealer will have to explain if there was a recall and I have never heard of it.

Jollypierre said:
The culprit he told me is his dirty fuel filter
The Diesel filter was replaced 3,000 km ago.

·
Registered
2004 Kia Sorento
64 Posts
Ilan said:
The Diesel filter was replaced 3,000 km ago.
Well, could be another problem. But if it's me, I wouldn't mind asking my dealer again to change the fuel filter. Who knows, it might solve the problem as it did to the other guy. Besides as per what the guy told me, it seems they're not changing the fuel filter when we drive-in our Sorento for service. I personally haven't seen it in my last service bill.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Sorento is with the dealer, first thing they suspected the fuel filter until I told them it was replaced recently.

The computer gives the following fault code: P1188 - Fuel pressure, leakage.

When the technician checked the parameters when the fault occurred, he got all the data, one item seems odd: the engine's temperature read out was -25.7 when it happened, murphwiz any advise here?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The plot thickens.

The dealer did not find any thing wrong with the engine. They know there is a problem because I handed them the truck with the check engine on, but they did not find any thing wrong with the fuel system.

At another forum Murphwiz linked this site (thanks mate):
http://210.120.123.38/kme_viewer/default.asp

If you look at the site, look for the symptom - Engine stalls. You will see that a suspected culprit is the Coolant temperature sensor. With the false reading that we got from the on board computer, it makes sense to start with it, so the dealer ordered one for tomorrow.

Interesting enough is that he only ordered the sensor because I printed the page for him :confused:

Murphwiz any advise?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
If coolant temp sensor goes bad, you collant temp gauge will be inop, but the engine management should spot this and go over to a pre programmed map according to run time, as it knows how quick the car should warm up.
Won't be perfect, but should keeps things running with very little ill effect.
Thats how it should work from a cold start anyway, not sure what happens if it suddenly dies.
The figure quoted sounds like default reading, so could be open circuit to sensor, ecu, or something else!
Did they mention the ecu wiring harness issue? it may have only affected RHD vehicles.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Murphwiz said:
Did they mention the ecu wiring harness issue? it may have only affected RHD vehicles.
I asked about it, no recall for me.

I drove the car all day, all OK. Will replace the CTS tomorrow.

It is a tricky one.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Shutting down engine whilst at revs would actually damage the turbo by switching of it's oil supply.
When turbo hits max boost, ecu will set wastegate to open, dumping boost to exhaust.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Snoopie said:
Oil doesnt pass through a turbo :confused:
The Turbo has a bearing on which the turbine shat spins, this bearing, due to it's VERY fine size is actually made from a film of oil, so oil is the turbo's lifeblood.
Thet are also water cooled to make them more reliable, in the old non water cooled units, you'd need to idle for a couple of minutes to prevent turbo overheat as it was purely cooled by the oil lubricating it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Murphwiz said:
Shutting down engine whilst at revs would actually damage the turbo by switching of it's oil supply.
When turbo hits max boost, ecu will set wastegate to open, dumping boost to exhaust.
I am aware of the possible damage to the turbo. Because of the high rpm and speed the engine kept some oil pressure until I completely stopped, then the oil pressure light came on.

The CTS was replaced today, now we have to wait.

The mechanic at the dealer asked for the link to Kia's technical site. They already know me over there so they let me work on the Sorento with them :D

According to the site, engine does not stall due to turbo related faults.

·
Registered
Sorento
36 Posts
Hi all i am another newbie to this site.
I have had the same problem with my diesel 2005 Sorento, it first started after leaving a petrol station and accelerating up a hill the engine just cut like some pulled out all of the leads but then came back.
At the time i put it down to a tuning box i had. I contacted the company and got them to change it after the second time it happened (accelerating onto a motorway) this time completely cut until i reset with the key.
The tuning box company contacted me after i push them to find out what was wrong with the old box and said that the settings entered by them were to aggressive for the vehicle.
It happened on two other occasions with the new box but not again since.

I have spoke to my dealer (who is happy with the tuning box) who said that it hasn't brought up any codes and they could not see anything wrong with the car.

until i found this site i thought it was just me.

I am taking the Sorento across France again at the end of the month fully loaded so we will see how she does.

Out of the five different Kia's that i have owned (which i like the sorento the best) i have only had i other problem so i still have confidence in this vehicle.

·
Registered
Sorento
36 Posts
Just an update i was driving home this evening and turned onto a dual carriageway, put down my foot and at about 50mph the engine cut out.

I managed to glide it to a side road (if glide is the right word) and stopped, reset the ignition and on the second attempt started.

It seems only to be when I push the car (hard excel) I seem to remember something the garage said the first time I asked them.

They said something about the pollution sensor (is this the o2 sensor?)

I don’t think it is faulty just maybe a little sensitive.
Let me explain what I’m trying to get at. I live and drive mostly in London I’m nearly always doing short stop start journeys. I also have a Tuning Box attached, so when I get a nice long road i sometimes put my foot down which clears the carbon deposits I a puff of grey smoke. I’m wondering if it is this which sets off this sensor.

This is now the fifth time in a year and a half (only in summer).
I drove 1000 miles around France last year with no problems and was loaded to the gunnels.
Please let me know what you think (I have no engine light showing and no codes are recorded).

Old Man

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Old Man,

The symptoms that you are describing are exactly the same for me - Hard acceleration, hot day, gliding aside.

The dealer is guessing. If you find the culprit please do let me know.

Ilan

·
Registered
Sorento
36 Posts
Ilan

I have been putting together all the common factors in my problem and have come up with the following:-

1. All five occasions it has been in the summer.
2. All five occasions it has been within 10 mins of driving.
3. All apart from one which I am not 100% have been from warm starts.
4. All five occasions it has been hard acceleration

I have not seen an engine light and no codes appear.

The thing is that I’m using a tuning box to enhance the power. i only use it on the default setting and the car responds very nicely with no more black smoke that without.
I have a K&N hiflow air filter and all works well.

I get on very well with my dealer and would not buy a car any where else
but i can't keep taking it back if the problem is hard to replicate (5 times in a year and a half) and produces no codes.

Today I will turn down my tuning box to setting 4 and test.

Are your problems happening at a stock setup?

Old Man

1 - 20 of 76 Posts