Kia Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey m a Rio owner…don’t u guys think that the 1.5 Liter engine is sometimes short on power..??? Well I just noticed.. wud like to read some of yer views.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have the 1.6 and have never driven a 1.5 but there is not much differance between the two. The Rio is actually a pepply little car. Sometimes it would be nice to have more, but that is y some of us mod out engines LOL. The stock 1.6 engine has about 90 HP at the wheels. With just 3 engine mods, I dyno'ed at 100 whp (HP at the wheels). I have done more since then and have a lot more power. I need to get back to the dyno and see where I sit now. I also have a Garret T-25 turbo sitting in my garage that I am working on getting parts to install it. That will add a "little" bit of oomph to her LOL

Matt

·
Registered
5 Posts
I tend to agree dalmo. i find that it lacks a little bit of raw go down the bottom end. It will only tend to play up towards redline, but I don't like to take it that far. Also, I feel that it holds rpm for way too long. Friends have commented on this, and i tend to agree with them. i know it was never meant to be a full-blown racer, but i would like it to be able to take on similar sized cars like the 1.5l mitsubishi lancer. besides that, i couldn't be happier with my car.

cheers,
brett

·
Registered
9 Posts
Gday there.

Umm, yes and no. I think the rio is slightly underpowered with the Air con on, and off the line. However as you can see with the pic, the rio cruises on the highway pretty well, and its enough to get me in a lot of serious trouble should i have got caught.

Im a young guy whos paying a squillion dollars per year to insure any car bigger than a 1.5l, so im quite happy with the top end speed, and the fuel ecconomy of my rio.

Sure its a little lacking, but how fast do you really need to go? Its a zippy little thing above 40 km/h and great for both city and highway driving.

High revving, but the standard cd player is enough to drown out that noise. And for the price - what more could you want!

What do other rio owners think?

Cheers!

Compmatt

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
I do agree with what you say. Aircon kills the poor little 1.5l, but I can say that I find the Rio quite quick. Unofficially, I have had mine to 197km/h. No proof obviously cause I find that gets you into more trouble than its worth. Believe it or not!

Anyways, happy Kia motoring to all!
Yours,
Brett

·
Registered
7 Posts
Originally posted by dalmo@Aug 17 2004, 12:42 PM
Hey m a Rio owner…don’t u guys think that the 1.5 Liter engine is sometimes short on power..??? Well I just noticed.. wud like to read some of yer views.
YEAH MINE IS SHORT ON EVERYTHING RIGHT NOW

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.