Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Rio 5
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have installed all new plugs and I have checked the resistance of each coil and found all to be at Approx. 1 Ohm. I need to fix it myself and I'm not sure what the best next step is. I can see #1 Cylinder running cold with temp gun. Do I swap Injectors to see if the problem moves or is there a better method?

·
Registered
Kia Rio 5
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have now swapped the two end injectors and reassembled to see if the cold cylinder moved and it does not appear to have moved. I must say, need we be quite so clever with our electrical connectors? For heavens sake have electrical connectors been that big of a problem to where now you need a manual to discern how to disengage them? I Mean, I didn't just get off the boat, and some of these connectors are a bit ridiculous.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,930 Posts
addWelcome to kia-forums!
Venting is good! :)
The old saying still holds true..."The only thing in this world that is permanent is change".
That said...
Have you tried to swap the coil packs? The spark system is called a "wasted spark" meaning two plugs fire at the same time and one is fired during the exhaust cycle.
I believe the coils are on 1&4 and 2&3 by moving them you may find one of the packs is bad (discharging through the side to ground) which you can't "read" with a meter.

We also need some more info...What year?, What's it's mileage?, have you read the OBDII codes??
Even if the check engine light is not on codes can/will be set and that also helps to know them... Autozone or Advance will "pull" the codes for free...have them print them out...so you can accurately post them here..
Keep us posted on what you find...
There are a lot of RIO posters here and their track record on finding the causes is quite good!
If you want good tech info...I can show you how to get on to kiatechinfo.com... It's all FREE. (****)
Dave
addition 09/20/2016
This was posted over 4 years ago and kiatechinfo is no longer free...
I know I have info on the earlier (pre2005) Rios but others on these forums may have newer info...It doesn't hurt to ask...
Dave

·
Registered
Kia Rio 5
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Keep Trying

The rough engine saga... So far I have been unsuccessful at the kiatechinfo.com site. However I did decide to just take another step rather than just whine about it. Previously I had said that I measured each individual spark plug coil and found they all measured the same at about 1 ohm. That is not an operational check though, so as with the injectors, I swapped Cylinder #'s 1 & 4 coils and I also removed the heat shield so I could get a good close heat gun measurement at the exhaust pipe. I also measured the EGT (Exhaust Gas Temperature) before I did the swap and #1 was at 88 while #4 was at 135 and rising. Then I measured again after the swap and found the #4 at 88 with #1 at 135 and rising....OMG!!! Because I can't believe it could be that easy I swapped the coil one more time, this time between #3 & #4 with #3 now harboring the suspect coil. I let the engine cool for a bit and tried again. BINGO! With the engine running for less than 20 seconds, cylinder #'s 1,2 & 4 were at 190 while #3 stayed at 120. I am going to use that data to justify a coil purchase and see if my Check Engine light reoccurs after the installation. I'll let ya know what happens......Stay Tuned.

·
Super Moderator
6,930 Posts
Are we good??? He He!
Sure looks like a bad coil arching (probably internally) to ground...

Now for keatechinfo.com...
I use a cut and paste that WORKS...Here goes...
start...

You really don't need to "buy" a manual...Just go to "kiatechinfo.com",
register, and all the info you need is right there.
You need to be running
Microsoft Windows (XP,Vista,7) and
Microsoft IE (Internet Explorer 8 or higher).
You also need to download and install a free "plug-in or app" called Adobe SVG
(Scaled Vector Graphics). There is a link to this software on their site.
and a valid email address to send the password to..
This is the only known good way to get onto this site..

There is a moderate learning curve as things aren't always where you would think they should be...but a little looking gets everything you could possibly need.
End...

This site does not like Macs/Linux O/S or Safari/Firefox/Chrome explorers. Stay with the above recommendations and you WILL get on!
Dave

·
Registered
Kia Rio 5
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes...P0300 & P0301 was the first info I got which was Intermittent random misfire & intermittent #1 cylinder misfire. What I thought was funny was when I asked the parts store guy if he had access to "Most Likely Cause" info he said "Sure I'll print it out for you" The Print out said that it could be 1. Bad fuel/air mixture 2. Bad ignition 3. I can't remember and 4. engine mechanical. Well duhhhh, I knew THAT the instant the failure took place. The readout might as well have said. "There's something wrong with your engine" Anyway, thanks for your input and I'll let you know what happens. Sure wish I had done the ignition coil swap before playing with all the injector stuff. That was a big learning curve for me, swapping injectors. I'm always telling people, do the easy stuff first...guess I need to take my own advice!

·
Registered
Kia Rio 5
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Survey Says...

COIL PACK! Went to Auto Zone, bought the coil pack on the recommendation of conclusive troubleshooting, installed said coil pack and sighhhhhhhhhhh, my baby is back. No more bucking and snorting in complaint of having to run on three cylinders. Check Engine light does not illuminate, and the engine runs smoooth again. ( I know it's not 1970 any more but...$100.00! Holy Smokes! Thank God there was only ONE bad coil!) I don't know about the rest of you, but if I was part of the 1%, I probably wouldn't need the KIA Forum to fix my car.

I do have one more question. When this whole thing started I was on the way to work on Thursday Morning. The Owners Manual says "Prolonged" driving under this condition can ruin your catalytic converter...Did I do that? I had to limp this baby about 160 miles on three cylinders before I could stop long enough to fix it. So What exactly is "Prolonged"?

·
Registered
Kia Rio 5
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
By The Way

This is a 2008 KIA Rio 5 with...are you ready...122,500 miles and has received nothing but tires and oil to date. Yeh...I got a 50+ mile commute one way each day. Thankfully I have the beauty of Tennessee to distract me from the 1:15 hour each way. I grew up in Chicago and moved to Tennessee so the country side is like being on vacation for me. I'm hoping I can get this car paid for BEFORE it's no longer useful.

·
Super Moderator
6,930 Posts
OK bud...
Now before answering any more questions I have one for you!
You say you have 122k miles....Please tell me you have changed the timing belt twice.....PLEASE!!
KIA says change EVERY 5yrs OR 60k miles..If you haven't you really should park it until that belt is replaced... There are many sad stories about RIOs that have been junked because the TB either slipped or broke... Your engine is an "interference" type engine...meaning in simple terms ...
Belt breaks or jumps teeth...
Valves come down...
Pistons go up...
and OMG you have ground KIA engine parts...
They "normally" fail between 75~90k miles... (on the belt)
You should be actually on your SECOND belt replacement..
and possibly a water/coolant pump.. (suggested every other TB)..
By doing both you have increased the life of your engine by another 180k miles...
They will do 300k if properly cared for..

Now for the Cats....If you have no CEL (check engine light) and No codes you dodged the bullet :)

If you have an automatic tranny... the fluid should have been drained and refilled every 30k ...so you are probably past due on this I'll bet also... Use only the Hyundai/KIA ATF type III.
It will cost around $7.00 a QT and you'll need aprox 5QTs... (****)
There is a drain plug/bolt on the bottom of the tranny (22~24mm size) that you remove and drain out the fluid... You will need a long skinny funnel to pour in the new fluid via the AT fluid dip stick tube... Do not over fill!
Do not run the engine until fluid is at least partially back in the tranny..

Antifreeze is only good for 2~3 years...After that time the additives that stops interaction between dis-similar metals (Aluminum Head/Radiator/Heater Core) and Iron block (plus possible others like brass or copper) ...PLUS the head gasket will start breaking down.. (radiator and heater core leaks or failure), Head gasket failure (BIG $$$), water pump failure also...

DO your baby GOOD and feed her well..
Keep us posted!
Dave

addition 0920/2016
Valvoline Full Synthetic MaxLife ATF also meets/exceeds The "Diamond III" specs for KIA/Hyundai transmissions in these cars... Find it at WalMart...

·
Registered
Kia Rio 5
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Timing Belt + Cold Cylinder trick

Yes, I was late...But I changed the timing belt at about 85K, but I figured the new belt would be good for at least another 60K, so I'm hoping I'll make it in to next summer before I have to do that again. I'm thinking at around 140K it will be due again. I had to learn about interference engines the hard way on a Mitsubishi Eclipse, which I did rebuild in 2004 and is still running.
(Sort of, there's no A/C so it never gets driven and it has a coolant leak.)
When I did the timing belt on the Rio most of the coolant was replaced. I also did the water pump with the belt since it was all opened up already.
I guess I'm delinquent on my transmission fluid, I'll hit that next. As soon as my wife recovers from the $100.00 coil. (She thinks cars only need gas)
I do have a small contribution to make. I was lucky enough to borrow a heat gun from work to check cylinder exhaust gas temperature...but, if you don't have that, you can use children's colored sidewalk chalk. You place a small mark on each exhaust riser (The same amount on each one) and then run the engine. The color will bleach out on the hot cylinders. So, if you use red chalk, the cylinder which remains red, or turns white LAST in the case of an intermittent misfire, is the cold cylinder.
Thanks for all the advice and moral support. I didn't have to throw ANY tools this time and I only missed one day of work. It sure would be nice if I could make 300K on this car. Thing is, I get a bit lazy, I work as a mechanic (Not Cars) all day so I never want to come home and spend my weekend doing the same thing.
Hope she can make it through the winter now...I don't have a garage!

·
Registered
2008 kia rio
1 Posts
Hi I have a 2008 kia rio I have.multiple codes po 300 po 301 po 302 po 303 po 304 I have changed plugs and all ignition coils and check engine lite still on and codes what van u do thanks

·
Registered
2007 Kia Rio LX
12 Posts
Welcome to kia-forums!
Venting is good! :)
The old saying still holds true..."The only thing in this world that is permanent is change".
That said...
Have you tried to swap the coil packs? The spark system is called a "wasted spark" meaning two plugs fire at the same time and one is fired during the exhaust cycle.
I believe the coils are on 1&4 and 2&3 by moving them you may find one of the packs is bad (discharging through the side to ground) which you can't "read" with a meter.

We also need some more info...What year?, What's it's mileage?, have you read the OBDII codes??
Even if the check engine light is not on codes can/will be set and that also helps to know them... Autozone or Advance will "pull" the codes for free...have them print them out...so you can accurately post them here..
Keep us posted on what you find...
There are a lot of RIO posters here and their track record on finding the causes is quite good!
If you want good tech info...I can show you how to get on to kiatechinfo.com... It's all FREE.
Dave
Hi DaveSpectra, I really like what I have read of your input very much. Thank You mucho. I'm writing because your old post mentioned that kiatechinfo.com is free. No longer true and this is what I found after going through all the steps to register, "For many years, Kia Motors America has provided no cost access to www.KiaTechInfo.com as a complimentary service to its customers, although most other competitors charge for access to their service support websites. Because Kia vehicles have advanced technology requiring specialized training, tools and equipment, the information contained in this website is largely tailored towards the professional technician and effective October 17, 2014, the site has been changed to a subscription-based, pay per use site.

The following subscription rate options are being offered to provide flexibility for site use: 72 hours ($19.00), 1 month ($150.00), and 1 Year ($1,500.00). Additionally, vehicle security (locksmiths) codes are priced at $14.00 per VIN. None of the existing free subscription account logins will carry over to the new paid-subscription service (every user must create a new account on the new tech site.)

Should Kia vehicle owners have any questions regarding their vehicle or the new subscription-based access to www.KiaTechInfo.com, please contact Kia Consumer Affairs at 1-800-333-4Kia (4542) or online at the Owners Section of Cars, SUVs, Hybrids, Minivans & Crossovers | Kia. " I guess it is similar to Autozones ' Alldata' services which I cant afford. But thanks for posting as I now have the information updated as of 9.20.16

·
Super Moderator
6,930 Posts
This thread is over 4years old and the information is dated as far as kiatechinfo.com is concerned...
Dave

1 - 13 of 13 Posts