Kia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
O2 sedona
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 02 sedona that was overheating eventually motor blew up. I have a replacement but the torque converter and flywheel will not come loose of each other all the bolts are out but the are stuck together any good ideas. Thanks
Steven

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
843 Posts
If I understand you correctly the flex plate attached to the torque converter will not seperate? And, you have removed all the perimeter bolts or nuts, correct?
You will need to get a pry bar to coax the two components apart. Then you can remove the flex plate from the crankshaft. The pilot hub on the torque converter may be stuck in the crankshaft. Try to spray some rust breaking compound spray into that area. Allow it some time to work in. Good Luck!

·
Registered
O2 sedona
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It seems as if the flywheel or flex plate and the torque converter are welded together. I have beaten and pounded and pryed. They are stuck. Do they come as one piece?

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
843 Posts
No, they are two separate pieces. Try some heat where you took out the bolts or nuts. Be careful not to start a fire! Have an extinguisher at hand!
Assembly sequence is as follows: Flex plate bolted to crank shaft. Torque converter bolted to flex plate usually after the transaxle is bolted to the engine. Should be a window or access plate to converter thru converter housing.

·
Registered
O2 sedona
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So as luck might have it either there are one piece or they are seriously stuck. I got the engine out the flywheel staying with the trans

·
Registered
843 Posts
How did the Torque Converter flex plate unbolt itself from the crank shaft of the engine?

·
Registered
843 Posts
Might be a tad bit of confusion with terminology here....All automatic transmission vehicles using a torque converter need to have a flex plate to absorb the ballooning (expansion) of the converter during full load starts and 'stall' conditions. The ballooning is absorbed into the crank shaft and taken to ground via one of the crank shaft main bearings which has a thrust surface for that purpose. The pilot hub of the converter extends into the crank shaft but does not go to ground. The flex plate works like a diaphragm spring, always keeping the stack up of tolerances in the system where they belong. Now, the starter ring gear could either be a part of the converter (welded to) or part of the flex plate. I've seen it done both ways. Flywheels are used in manual transmission applications, or recently in dual clutch automated manual (DCT) type designs......Nonetheless, it sounds like your on your way to a successful engine R&R!

·
Registered
843 Posts
Let us know how you make out with the engine swap!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts