Kia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento EX AWD
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After buying a used 2013 Kia with 60k miles it began burning oil. This Summer 2021 the engine died. Kia kindly enough replaced the engine but they will not fix a problem where it will not shift. Dealer says that it is a plugged manifold and failed back pressure test, plugged catalytic converter, and they want to replace the entire exhaust system. They sent a picture to show the rusted flange that is barely rusted. Does anyone else have this issue with a blown/replaced engine? Kia will not pay for it saying it is not directly related.

·
Registered
Kia Sorento 2012 , 2009 Hyundai Elantra , 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2017 Nissan Pathfinder sl
132 Posts
I just had engine replaced for free on my wife 2012 Sorento , and they also replaced manifold for free which I never asked , only when I read at invoice then I looked engine and was brand new engine and intake manifold ,

Attachments

Reactions: FixItFelix

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,015 Posts
I just had engine replaced for free on my wife 2012 Sorento , and they also replaced manifold for free which I never asked , only when I read at invoice then I looked engine and was brand new engine and intake manifold ,
Its says "REMAN SUB ENGINE" - that's as good as new, but not new.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento EX AWD
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited by Moderator)
I will have to see if it can be escalated to be repaired.

Did you have shifting issues after pickup?

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,015 Posts
Kia Corp dictate to the dealership what is covered, and in the case of this engine recall it does not cover the transmission etc., so unless you can prove that the engine work caused a problem with the transmission they're not going to cover it.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento EX AWD
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kia Corp dictate to the dealership what is covered, and in the case of this engine recall it does not cover the transmission etc., so unless you can prove that the engine work caused a problem with the transmission they're not going to cover it.
I understand that. The only proof I have is that it never did it before the engine went bad. I feel that if they felt liable enough to replace the engine they should carry the same liability over to any other problem that happened because of it.

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,015 Posts
I understand that. The only proof I have is that it never did it before the engine went bad. I feel that if they felt liable enough to replace the engine they should carry the same liability over to any other problem that happened because of it.
That's not really proof, that's hearsay.

What do you mean - how does an engine failure cause a transmission failure?

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento EX AWD
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's not really proof, that's hearsay.

What do you mean - how does an engine failure cause a transmission failure?
Honestly I’m not sure how an engine failure stalling out on an expressway at 65 mph didn’t cause many more problems. How would it be that the vehicle NEVER had a shifting issue until the moments right before the engine stalled and after, but have nothing to do with each other. The dealer is saying it’s not transmission that it is a plugged catalytic converter, rusty flange (picture shows it’s barely rusted), and a plugged manifold.

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,015 Posts
Honestly I’m not sure how an engine failure stalling out on an expressway at 65 mph didn’t cause many more problems. How would it be that the vehicle NEVER had a shifting issue until the moments right before the engine stalled and after, but have nothing to do with each other. The dealer is saying it’s not transmission that it is a plugged catalytic converter, rusty flange (picture shows it’s barely rusted), and a plugged manifold.
An engine cutting out or seizing does not damage the transmission, but lets hear your explanation on how that works?

Why don't you accept the dealerships word when they tell you that there isn't a problem with the transmission?

Get a second opinion on the plugged catalytic converter, or test it with the upstream O2 sensor removed - it will be loud but can prove or disprove their claim that its plugged.

Do you have any of this correspondence between the dealership and yourself in writing?

·
Registered
Kia Sorento 2012 , 2009 Hyundai Elantra , 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2017 Nissan Pathfinder sl
132 Posts
Its says "REMAN SUB ENGINE" - that's as good as new, but not new.
As far is I know i seen with my own eyes they had complete engine out and they put new one , I seen the new engine putting it on they let me see cus I asked them and they show me old seized engine , and next to it new one , plus after ur reply I went to my friends shop we lifter the car and since he’s a mechanic he confirmed that is brand new engine , when I made pic I guess I didn’t make better pic it says :Replaced the motor as per techline recommendation.

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,015 Posts
As far is I know i seen with my own eyes they had complete engine out and they put new one , I seen the new engine putting it on they let me see cus I asked them and they show me old seized engine , and next to it new one , plus after ur reply I went to my friends shop we lifter the car and since he’s a mechanic he confirmed that is brand new engine , when I made pic I guess I didn’t make better pic it says :Replaced the motor as per techline recommendation.
A REMAN engine most definitely looks like a NEW engine, and will be as good as a new engine, but its not.

How did your mechanic friend determine that its not a REMAN engine?

The paperwork that you have from the Kia dealership clearly states that its a REMAN engine.

@cobra259 do they install new or REMAN engines for these recalls?

Reactions: nstoolman1

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento EX AWD
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
An engine cutting out or seizing does not damage the transmission, but lets hear your explanation on how that works?

Why don't you accept the dealerships word when they tell you that there isn't a problem with the transmission?

Get a second opinion on the plugged catalytic converter, or test it with the upstream O2 sensor removed - it will be loud but can prove or disprove their claim that its plugged. I never said transmission, you did.

Do you have any of this correspondence between the dealership and yourself in writing?
Not sure why you are so upset over this conversation and the “Reman” engine?!? Anyway i do have it in writing but why share it with you, you are not very helpful in the least. I am going to test with the upstream removed. Once I get it back.

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,015 Posts
Get a second opinion on the plugged catalytic converter, or test it with the upstream O2 sensor removed - it will be loud but can prove or disprove their claim that its plugged.
Not sure why you are so upset over this conversation and the “Reman” engine?!? Anyway i do have it in writing but why share it with you, you are not very helpful in the least. I am going to test with the upstream removed. Once I get it back.
We deal in facts here - sorry that upsets you.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 K5 GT Line
4,771 Posts
The Recall is a reman engine. As it states the the part description.

Reactions: ron1004

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento EX AWD
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We deal in facts here - sorry that upsets you.
Doesn’t upset me. You have to use real meaningful conversations to explain “facts”. You have to take the time to understand what people are asking for. Are you a moderator to help or are you a moderator so you can be in control? Facts only make sense when you understand the problem. You keep being vague or unhelpful. I’ve come here for help not to be further confused. I’m on other car specific forums and have no problems. I will continue to question any service department that gives the exact same diagnosis “estimate” of services for repairs regardless of the real problem. I’m a Marine and no sheep, I don’t follow the flock.

·
Registered
Sorento 2012
252 Posts
So what is the real problem? Is it the transmission not shifting? That is what you stated above. How were you able to drive the car home if the transmission does not work? How many miles are on the car? Why was the engine replaced? Did you run it out of oil? Which engine do you have the I4 or the V6?

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento EX AWD
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
After buying a used 2013 Kia with 60k miles it began burning oil. This Summer 2021 the engine died. Kia kindly enough replaced the engine but they will not fix a problem where it will not shift. Dealer says that it is a plugged manifold and failed back pressure test, plugged catalytic converter, and they want to replace the entire exhaust system. They sent a picture to show the rusted flange that is barely rusted. Does anyone else have this issue with a blown/replaced engine? Kia will not pay for it saying it is not directly related.
I didn’t say transmission. I said what the dealer said. I’m saying it is happening because of the engine failure as this never happened before the failure. The engine sputtered out and died 5.5 hours from home in the mountains of Pennsylvania. I left it there to be towed to a dealership on a day when everything would be open. It was towed and they replaced the engine. I am grateful for the that but… It was transported here to Ohio via transport truck and when I picked it up to drive it getting on the highway it wouldn’t shift out of first almost getting me and my 9-year old daughter hit by all the incoming traffic. It drove okay in town with slight shift delays between lights so I felt confident it was okay to drive on the highway. Once I started pulling over to the berm it shifted and finally got it into 3rd or 4th and just drove it all the way home. I called my Kia customer rep and he told me to rake it back to the dealership to have them check it out. I’m assuming he’s paying since he didn’t say anything different. Here is what the service Dept rep said,
“For the shifting issue we found that the catalytic converter has plugged up which will cause the vehicle not to get the proper power. Which can cause the shifting issues on the vehicle. So we need to start by replacing that and the whole exhaust system since it’s rusted up underneath the car (will send a picture showing the exhaust flange corroded and rusted up) And then we recommend replacing the muffler since the cat could of damaged it. The est to replace The whole exhaust and cat is $6799.13. That should take care of your issues since the manifold is plugged up and failed the back pressure test. Let me know if you have any questions or what you would like do.” Here is the picture of the rusted flange, I’ve seen way worse than this.

·
99 Kia Elan 1.8L
12,015 Posts
rusty flange (picture shows it’s barely rusted), and a plugged manifold.
I guess that's subjective, but looking at the photo you posted I'd agree with the service rep's comment that its badly corroded.

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra, 2021 K5 GT Line
4,771 Posts
Buy the converter aftermarket and any other exhaust pipes that YOU feel need to be replaced. Take it to a local muffler shop or do it yourself. Much cheaper than OEM parts.
You said yourself, Kia is NOT going to pay for your new exhaust.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Sorento EX AWD
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Buy the converter aftermarket and any other exhaust pipes that YOU feel need to be replaced. Take it to a local muffler shop or do it yourself. Much cheaper than OEM parts.
You said yourself, Kia is NOT going to pay for your new exhaust.
Exactly.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts